Electric Vehicle parking is NOT FREE in San Jose

  • Bruce EVangel Parmenter
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2002
      [This message is being broadcast to several Electric Vehicle
      (EV) discussion groups, and to others as an fyi]

      SUMMARY:
      I am sending this ADVISORY to ALERT all EV drivers that
      parking in San Jose is NOT FREE as stated. An EV driver
      that attends the SJEAA meetings, has been going through hell,
      trying to be a good citizen and resolve a parking ticket
      given on his Ford Ranger EV. Every EV driver should save
      themselves from grief and assume their EV is considered the
      same as a gas car (ICE) and could get a ticket.

      DETAILS:

      San Jose City Government had announced that free parking was
      available to EVs:

      http://www.ci.san-jose.ca.us/search/Search.asp?q1=electric+vehicle&ct=cityinternet
      Subject: COUNCIL REFERRAL #9-05-00-9d INCENTIVES FOR
      ELECTRIC AND OTHER NON-POLLUTING VEHICLES RECOMMENDATION
      It is recommended that the City Council take the following
      actions to support and encourage the use of electric and

      Subject: COUNCIL REFERRAL NO. 9-05-00: INCENTIVES FOR
      ELECTRIC AND OTHER CLEAN AIR VEHICLES RECOMMENDATION It
      is recommended that the City Council take the following
      actions to support and encourage the use of

      http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=%22san+jose%22+%22free+parking%22+%22electric+vehicle%22&hc=0&hs=0
      Free parking in San Jose - 2001-04-18 - Silicon Valley/San
      Jose ... be driving a pollution-free car, such as an
      electric vehicle. ...

      Despite the good PR the San Jose City Government received
      for this announcement, the rest of the parking control and
      court system is not on on-board. This has reversed all PR to
      bad.

      EV drivers do not 'need' free parking (no one is demanding
      it). But as citizens, we only ask that what is 'said' by
      a City government is held true.

      The EV driver that attends the SJEAA meetings received a
      parking ticket on his Ford ranger EV. He has been trying to
      work with the system as a good citizen, but the more he does,
      the more the San Jose City grinds him into meat paste.

      The current status was described last Saturday ...
      The $30 ticket has been paid, he is trying to appeal it. The
      court system spent a whole hour to discuss a $30 ticket,
      even though the court has acknowledged the vehicle is
      Electric.

      This person is trying to handle this item on their own
      (hence why I have not mentioned any names), but if there
      is no resolve, they may turn to what media support they can
      obtain http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/email_7oys.html

      ***So, do not think you have free parking in San Jose,
      unless you want to go around and around with the various
      San Jose City departments, finger pointing rather than
      dismissing an incorrectly given ticket.

      Bruce Parmenter

      =====
      ' ____