Drive Belts

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      I just got an email from Arthur, who owns a 1993 Force hatchback and his
      drive belt has broken:

      * "Since our exchange of emails in may I located a 1993 solectria
      Force hatchback which has 17K miles on it in great shape and have
      totally fallen in love with the experience. The other day apparently
      the drive belt let go and my mechanic says he has no idea where to get
      one. Any souces or ideas would be greatly appreciated...I was hoping to
      get " Sparky" running again by Saturday to take to our local Ag Fair.
      It seems Solectria has a part # FBAHM720 but my guy says he has not been
      able to cross reference the #. Any assistance would be greatly
      appreciated."
      *
      Does anyone happen to know where someone can get hold of one of these
      belts? I assume it's a Gates belt -- It would be great to get this guy
      a part number and supplier.

      Thanks,
      Tom

    • Charles Bliss
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
        It is a Gates Belt. Just take it to the nearest bearing supplier. The new
        ones are made of Carbon and can take a lot more abuse. I have one that I
        took off mine if the person is local to the SF Bay Area they can have it for
        free but I would recommend buying a new one,

        The Gates replacement belt is an 8MGT-800-12 That is 800mm long, 12mm wide.

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
          Bingo. Thanks, Charles.

          Charles Bliss wrote:

          > It is a Gates Belt. Just take it to the nearest bearing supplier. The new
          > ones are made of Carbon and can take a lot more abuse. I have one that I
          > took off mine if the person is local to the SF Bay Area they can have
          > it for
          > free but I would recommend buying a new one,
          >
          > The Gates replacement belt is an 8MGT-800-12 That is 800mm long, 12mm
          > wide.
          >
          > .

        • d. Bouton Baldridge
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
            If your 93 is like my 92, a Gates Poly chain GT 2 drive , belt size 8MGT-12 fits just fine, follow the owners manl instrutions,
            Good luck,
            Bouty

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
              The 800 in the part number denotes the length. It is 800mm long with an 8mm
              pitch and 100 teeth. The belt width is 12 mm, hence it is actually a

              8MGT-800-12 The new Carbon replacement can handle almost twice the
              horsepower.

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
                I bought mine from Bearings Specialty Co. Inc., 50 Energy Drive, Canton,
                MA 02021. http://www.bearings-specialty.com

                Rob Landry
                92 Force

                On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Charles Bliss wrote:

                > It is a Gates Belt. Just take it to the nearest bearing supplier. The new
                > ones are made of Carbon and can take a lot more abuse. I have one that I
                > took off mine if the person is local to the SF Bay Area they can have it for
                > free but I would recommend buying a new one,
                >

                > The Gates replacement belt is an 8MGT-800-12 That is 800mm long, 12mm wide.

              • mike young

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
                    While we are on the subject. I am curious how long to expect these to last.
                    My case is slightly different as I have about 50% more horsepower coming out
                    the BRLS16 motor but I would like a sense of when I should proactively
                    change the belt so I don't get stranded. What is the life expectancy of the
                    belts in the BLDC Forces?

                    From: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com <mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>
                    If your 93 is like my 92, a Gates Poly chain GT 2 drive , belt size 8MGT-12
                    fits just fine, follow the owners manl instrutions,
                    Good luck,
                    Bouty

                  • Bill or Dorothy Swann
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 2, 2009