Re: [solectria_ev] Re: SLA Batteries

  • theoldcars@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 30, 2009
      Hello Mark

      I remember you had problems with the one brand of AGM battery failing. As I
      recall they were venting during charging. It sounds like you have use some
      other AGM batteries as well.

      Not sure what brands of AGM batteries you have tried but some are without a
      doubt far better than others. Unfortunately better made products usually
      always cost more. Buying a brand that is generally considered a high quality
      battery does not absolutely grantee you will not have one or more bad
      batteries.

      Also a brand can change their manufacturing process and run off thousands
      of batteries before they or the customers figure it out. Optima did this with
      their Yellow tops. I sent back a bunch of failed batteries that were never
      used and I am not sure about the quality of the ones I kept. I don't think I
      will be buying Optima's again. There was no problem with venting but the
      batteries would not hold a charge. They also would not fully charge. With AGM
      batteries being so hard to keep in balance this would make them useless in
      series charging.

      I am a bit disappointed with lead acid batteries over all. I had great
      hopes that a break though was going to happen with the Firefly. After many years
      following a few press releases really nothing. If I had to choose a brand
      it would be Hawker or Odyssey. You can get a fairly good price on the
      Odyssey 1700 and 2150 though Sears labeled as a Diehard. If you look at the
      pictures they are the same battery. I have also never heard anything bad about
      Lifeline. They are all expensive and heavy and very hard to keep in balance. I
      know you were using individual chargers for a while that is good as long as
      one of the chargers do not fail.

      If an AGM battery is venting this is the same effect as lowering the level
      in a flooded battery below the plates. The more it vents the water is left
      in the battery and soon you have a worthless battery. If it was a well made
      properly functioning AGM battery and venting during charging the point below
      is most likely correct. They were being over charged.

      Don

      In a message dated 8/30/2009 6:54:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      rod864@... writes:

      --- In _solectria_ev@solectria_evsol_ (mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com)
      , Mark Freidberg <mark58150@.ma> wrote:

      > One thing I've noticed about the SLA batteries I've used is that
      > they are all stinky.

      Valve regulated batteries shouldn't emit any significant odor. If you're
      getting a strong odor from your batteries, most likely either you're severely
      overcharging them or you have a bum cell. Typically it's a rotten egg smell.

      steps!
      =JulystepsfooterNO115)

    • Tom Hudson
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
        Hi everyone,

        I just got an email from Arthur, who owns a 1993 Force hatchback and his
        drive belt has broken:

        * "Since our exchange of emails in may I located a 1993 solectria
        Force hatchback which has 17K miles on it in great shape and have
        totally fallen in love with the experience. The other day apparently
        the drive belt let go and my mechanic says he has no idea where to get
        one. Any souces or ideas would be greatly appreciated...I was hoping to
        get " Sparky" running again by Saturday to take to our local Ag Fair.
        It seems Solectria has a part # FBAHM720 but my guy says he has not been
        able to cross reference the #. Any assistance would be greatly
        appreciated."
        *
        Does anyone happen to know where someone can get hold of one of these
        belts? I assume it's a Gates belt -- It would be great to get this guy
        a part number and supplier.

        Thanks,
        Tom

      • Charles Bliss
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
          It is a Gates Belt. Just take it to the nearest bearing supplier. The new
          ones are made of Carbon and can take a lot more abuse. I have one that I
          took off mine if the person is local to the SF Bay Area they can have it for
          free but I would recommend buying a new one,

          The Gates replacement belt is an 8MGT-800-12 That is 800mm long, 12mm wide.

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
            Bingo. Thanks, Charles.

            Charles Bliss wrote:

            > It is a Gates Belt. Just take it to the nearest bearing supplier. The new
            > ones are made of Carbon and can take a lot more abuse. I have one that I
            > took off mine if the person is local to the SF Bay Area they can have
            > it for
            > free but I would recommend buying a new one,
            >
            > The Gates replacement belt is an 8MGT-800-12 That is 800mm long, 12mm
            > wide.
            >
            > .

          • d. Bouton Baldridge
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
              If your 93 is like my 92, a Gates Poly chain GT 2 drive , belt size 8MGT-12 fits just fine, follow the owners manl instrutions,
              Good luck,
              Bouty

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
                The 800 in the part number denotes the length. It is 800mm long with an 8mm
                pitch and 100 teeth. The belt width is 12 mm, hence it is actually a

                8MGT-800-12 The new Carbon replacement can handle almost twice the
                horsepower.

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
                  I bought mine from Bearings Specialty Co. Inc., 50 Energy Drive, Canton,
                  MA 02021. http://www.bearings-specialty.com

                  Rob Landry
                  92 Force

                  On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Charles Bliss wrote:

                  > It is a Gates Belt. Just take it to the nearest bearing supplier. The new
                  > ones are made of Carbon and can take a lot more abuse. I have one that I
                  > took off mine if the person is local to the SF Bay Area they can have it for
                  > free but I would recommend buying a new one,
                  >

                  > The Gates replacement belt is an 8MGT-800-12 That is 800mm long, 12mm wide.

                • mike young

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 1, 2009
                      While we are on the subject. I am curious how long to expect these to last.
                      My case is slightly different as I have about 50% more horsepower coming out
                      the BRLS16 motor but I would like a sense of when I should proactively
                      change the belt so I don't get stranded. What is the life expectancy of the
                      belts in the BLDC Forces?

                      From: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com <mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>
                      If your 93 is like my 92, a Gates Poly chain GT 2 drive , belt size 8MGT-12
                      fits just fine, follow the owners manl instrutions,
                      Good luck,
                      Bouty

                    • Bill or Dorothy Swann
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 2, 2009