NLG-4

  • e10ls
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6 4:05 PM
      anyone:
      Is the NLG-4 a reprogrammable charger?
      I've seen one for sale but it is set up for 120VDC Nicads. Can't seem to find specs on the 4 model.
      Art
    • Charles Bliss
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6 4:12 PM
        Yes, it is programmable. . If you don't buy it, let me know where it is, I
        would like to have a spare.

        The specs should be in the files section, as is some of the information on
        programming. The software for programming is on the Brusa site. There is
        not very much information on how to program / reprogram it but there have
        been some threads here that are pretty good.

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6 4:26 PM
          Isn't there some story about a special NiCd version of the NLG-4, or
          am I remembering wrong? Maybe it still works fine for other types
          of batteries, though.

          Ken
        • Stephen Taylor
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6 4:33 PM
            I would watch out.  I don't believe that a NLG4 NiCD charger can be used for lead acid batteries.  The NiCD profile is in the firmware of the charger and I don't beleive it can be modified in a way to make it safe for lead acid batteries.  Also, I don't believe that these 120 volt NiCD chargers can actually be programmed for anything other than 120 volts of NiCDs.  I have tried one of these 120 volt chargers in the past on my 156 volt NiCD Force and although the charger appeared to accept the higher pack voltage in the normal programming menu, it did not actually charge that way.

            Stephen Taylor

            I've seen one for sale but it is set up for 120VDC Nicads. Can't seem to
            find specs on the 4 model.
            Art

            _,___

          • Ken Olum
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6 4:41 PM
              If the matter is purely one of firmware, perhaps you can get the
              firmware from someone else's charger that has broken power
              electronics, for example. I have just such a charger, but
              unfortunately I already promised it to someone else.

              Ken
            • e10ls
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6 4:48 PM
                Thanks everyone:
                I'm going to pass this time too much work for the money. http://www.austinev.org/evtradinpost/ is where I saw it under parts for sale, Chargers. He also has SAFT batteries if anyone is interested.
                Art

                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Ken Olum <kdo@...> wrote:

                > If the matter is purely one of firmware, perhaps you can get the
                > firmware from someone else's charger that has broken power
                > electronics, for example. I have just such a charger, but
                > unfortunately I already promised it to someone else.
                >
                > Ken

              • Stephen Taylor
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6 6:34 PM
                  Yes, that is exactly how I have used these older NiCD chargers in the past.  When my old charger died I moved the "brains" from my original charger to the replacement one and it worked fine.  Of course I was still doing NiCD batteries, just a higher voltage 156 verses the orignal 120 volts, so i don't know if there is a compatibility issue elsewhere that might still prevent you from doing it with Lead Acid batteries.

                  Stephen Taylor

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 9 6:50 PM
                    The Saft option NLG4 chargers can be programmed to some extent, but you
                    can't change the nominal battery voltage from 120v.

                    You can solve that by reflashing the PROM. I'm not sure you could just
                    swap in one from a standard NLG4.

                    That's because there are some hardware differences, such as the
                    power supply for the logic circuits being derived from the battery
                    instead of from the AC line. I think some of the i/o lines have
                    different purposes too.

                    It's definitely not a plug and play replacement for a "standard" NLG4.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 10 5:32 PM
                      I might have parts to repair broken NLG-4 (BC3300) chargers...

                      http://www.wolftronix.com/BC3300/IMG_6705.JPG

                      Some of them do have blown boards in them, but I should have enough parts
                      to get one of them working. :)

                      Wolf
                      *wags his tail*
                      www.wolftronix.com