E-10 Differential?

  • jwolfe@doitnow.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
      Would all you E-10 owners take a look at the photo's of Jeff Wilson's E-10
      on the EVAlbum. (www.evalbum.com then search by make.. Solectria)

      The only photo's that I have seen have that type of differential.. mine is
      waay different. The differential in those pictures is of a type that I
      haven't seen since the '40's. The last differential that I saw with the
      axle housings bolted to the sides was on a Model-T.

      I was under the impression that Solectria used the stock S-10 differential
      and turned it around and drove it backwards. Mine looks like the stock S-10
      rear end that has the pinion going into the rear but the differential is
      still facing forward. It appears that the rear cover was removed and an
      aluminum section to house the pinion was added while the front was capped
      off.

      My problem is that I have what feels like "wheel hop" between 35 and 45
      Mph. I have done the encoder test and it tests perfect on both motors.
      There is a lot of slop in the spiders and this seems to be where it is
      from. I don't want to rebuild the rear end, just swap it out.

      I visited the U-pull it salvage yard today and couldn't find a 95/96 S-10.
      I found many older ones with what looked like the same 10-bolt rear ends. I
      also found a 2003 with what looked like my type but the yoke and driveshaft
      appeared to be different.

      I can't imagine GM redesigning the rear end for the 94 and up S-10's, but
      what do I know.

      Where did Solectria come up with those differentials and does anyone know
      what the gear ratio is?

      Thanks,

      Jim - Glendale, AZ
      www.evalbum.com/1703

      http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE
    • Arthur Marquardt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
        My E10LS has the same type differential as Jeff Wilson's. My regular S-10 doesn't.
        Art

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
          It says in the e10 manual somewhere that the rear springs are not stock and
          were special 'made' by solectria...possibly the axle was also 'made' by
          solectria and came as a complete section including the differential, axle
          and springs...good luck. kevin

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
            This is the one that is in my E10:
            http://www.wolftronix.com/E10/images/P3260159.jpg

            A guy at work that builds Hot Rods, called it a "quick change rear end"
            and that its an older model used in chevy based racing Hot Rods, since it
            can handle more horse power then the stock S-10 rear end.

            I think solectria used it cause it has thicker axel supports and larger
            barings to hold the extra battery weight.

            A quick google image search finds a buch of them:
            http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=quick%20change%20rear%20end

            Hope this helps. :)

            Wolf
            *wags his tail*
            www.wolftronix.com

            > Would all you E-10 owners take a look at the photo's of Jeff Wilson's E-10
            > on the EVAlbum. (www.evalbum.com then search by make.. Solectria)
            >
            > The only photo's that I have seen have that type of differential.. mine is
            > waay different. The differential in those pictures is of a type that I
            > haven't seen since the '40's. The last differential that I saw with the
            > axle housings bolted to the sides was on a Model-T.
            >
            > I was under the impression that Solectria used the stock S-10 differential
            > and turned it around and drove it backwards. Mine looks like the stock
            > S-10
            > rear end that has the pinion going into the rear but the differential is
            > still facing forward. It appears that the rear cover was removed and an
            > aluminum section to house the pinion was added while the front was capped
            > off.
            >
            > My problem is that I have what feels like "wheel hop" between 35 and 45
            > Mph. I have done the encoder test and it tests perfect on both motors.
            > There is a lot of slop in the spiders and this seems to be where it is
            > from. I don't want to rebuild the rear end, just swap it out.
            >
            > I visited the U-pull it salvage yard today and couldn't find a 95/96 S-10.
            > I found many older ones with what looked like the same 10-bolt rear ends.
            > also found a 2003 with what looked like my type but the yoke and
            > driveshaft
            > appeared to be different.
            >
            > I can't imagine GM redesigning the rear end for the 94 and up S-10's, but
            > what do I know.
            >
            > Where did Solectria come up with those differentials and does anyone know
            > what the gear ratio is?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Jim - Glendale, AZ
            > www.evalbum.com/1703

            > mail2web LIVE – Free email based on Microsoft® Exchange technology -
            > http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE

          • evpilot
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
              Wolf,

              > A guy at work that builds Hot Rods, called it a "quick change rear end"
              > and that its an older model used in chevy based racing Hot Rods, since it
              > can handle more horse power then the stock S-10 rear end.
              >
              > I think solectria used it cause it has thicker axel supports and larger
              > barings to hold the extra battery weight.

              I wish.. (Meaning I'd like it to be one of those..)

              Your link is to "Quick Change Rear ends" and the price tag on them will reflect accordingly. (I couldn't afford one.)

              Having been involved in Stock car racing I recognize them, the Solectria ones aren't quick change.

              Most back yard Race Car/Hot-Rod builders use a Ford 9" or a 12 bolt GM because they can get the gear ratios they want and they can stand the torque. (Unless they have very deep pockets.)

              I just wondered what they came from, having never ran across one in any of my junk yards.

              I posted a picture of mine on my EVAlbum page earlier today.

              Jim - Glendale, AZ
              www.evalbum.com/1703