Re: Plug-in Hybrid "The Spirit of DC" Becomes First to Visit all 48 States

  • winfield100
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6 8:41 AM
      "visited all 48 states of the contiguous United States of America"

      The Spirit has a PHEV conversion made in the US.
      It is a nice feat that it has visited all those states
      Come on down to the DC mall on April 17-19th. (Earth days) The Sprit is supposed to be there

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Kuehn" <akuehn@...> wrote:

      > "All 48 States"? Have we lost two?
      >
      > Granted, you can't drive a PHEV directly to Hawaii, but there still needs to
      > be either a qualifier or a date in there somewhere if you are going to use
      > "all" and "48 states" in the same sentence.

    • paul doe
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7 9:20 AM
        I would be more impressed if it was an "EV" rather than a "PHEV".  I also agree about the point of manufacture (no it doesn't count that GM sold the technology to Toyota along with selling the NiMh technology to Texaco/Chevron)!

        Thanks,

        Paul

        wrote:

        > "All 48 States"? Have we lost two?
        >
        > Granted, you can't drive a PHEV directly to Hawaii, but there still
        needs to
        > be either a qualifier or a date in there somewhere if you are going to use
        > "all" and "48 states" in the same sentence.

      • Joseph Lado
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11 6:54 AM
          We left room for a sequel. Maybe Bob Lutz can give us a Chevy Volt to take to all 50 states. I want to add that we did qualify it in the press release by saying contiguous and lower 48 states. We tried like hell to get a free ferry ride to Alaska and we were really close to getting air transport to Hawaii, but things languished and nothing came through.

          If we had our druthers this would have been done in an America EV or an all American made plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, but no one donated a conversion kit for those and no one had a hybrid that could be converted with the kit that was donated. So we used Jerry Asher's own Prius.

          Next time be there with money if you want us to go all around America in an American made car. Jerry donated a year out of his life and a bunch of us donated time and money to do this thing with what we had. It is still historic and it is still a great way to promote the electrification of the automobile.

          If you happen to know a friend or family member who would want to know about this, send them the Email.

          Thanks for talking about it. I know this isn't the usual fare for this listserv.

          Joseph Lado