Re: [solectria_ev] E-10 Max speed

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2009
      The max speed for forward and reverse can be programmed in the drive.

      It could also be the power setting, or your brakes could be draging, or
      your batteries are not produsing enough current, etc... ;)

      Wolf
      *wags his tail*
      www.wolftronix.com

      > I got an E-10 on the road the other day. I am surprised that the
      > maximum speed is 50 ish. Since the truck came from an AF base, I am
      > wondering if the personnel within the motor pool, tweeked the control
      > parameters within the controllers to a maximum of 50 MPH. Is that a
      > parameter that can be set? The battery pack condition might be suspect
      > also.
      > Thanks

    • Bill Swann
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
        It turns out that a marginal set of batteries was the "speed limiter". The E-10 has a rather peppy response to 70 mph. I am looking for a new/used set of batteries. Someone suggested to check with institutions that have data critical UPS systems. Hospitals / data centers. They often recycle a set of batteries that have undergone a limited # of charge / discharge cycles. At a price of dimes on the dollar.
        Thanks.

      • jwolfe@doitnow.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
          >Posted by: "Bill Swann"
          >Date: Wed Mar 4, 2009 5:01 pm ((PST))
          >
          >It turns out that a marginal set of batteries was the "speed limiter". The
          >E-10 has a rather peppy response to 70 mph. I am looking for a new/used
          set
          >of batteries. Someone suggested to check with institutions that have data
          >critical UPS systems. Hospitals / data centers. They often recycle a set
          of
          >batteries that have undergone a limited # of charge / discharge cycles. At
          >a price of dimes on the dollar.
          >Thanks.

          I'm running my E-10 on batteries from a large data center
          UPS system that the company upgraded. Everybody knew that I drove an EV and
          they asked if I would be interested in some of the batteries. I told them
          yes, if I could get 14, if not 14 then no deal. When they said $20 each, I
          said I'll take any I can get! They gave me 15, (The kid in the warehouse
          can't count I guess), for $280... not a bad price.

          They are a 12-370 High Rate UPS battery by Dynasty, (Johnson Controls), and
          are rated 100Ah @ 20 hr rate. I limit my discharge to about 200 Amps,
          although they claim to be capable of 370A loads.

          My charger is a Zivan NG5 and I am putting small 1.1A individual chargers
          on them to keep them balanced. (Another unfinished project.)

          I've just recently started using the truck and don't have more than a dozen
          cycles on them but I floated them once a month since bringing them home
          1-1/2 years ago.

          If they last a year I'll be happy.

          Jim - Glendale, AZ
          www.evalbum.com/1703

          http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE
        • Bill or Dorothy Swann
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
            I am beginning to ask at the data centers in Houston. Sometimes, it is hard to get a sympathetic ear.

            Thanks,Bill S
            Ph 832-338-3080
            www.hstech.biz
            www.promotingevs.com

            ________________________________
            >It turns out that a marginal set of batteries was the "speed limiter". The
            >E-10 has a rather peppy response to 70 mph. I am looking for a new/used
            set
            >of batteries. Someone suggested to check with institutions that have data
            >critical UPS systems. Hospitals / data centers. They often recycle a set
            of
            >batteries that have undergone a limited # of charge / discharge cycles. At
            >a price of dimes on the dollar.
            >Thanks.

            I'm running my E-10 on batteries from a large data center
            UPS system that the company upgraded. Everybody knew that I drove an EV and
            they asked if I would be interested in some of the batteries. I told them
            yes, if I could get 14, if not 14 then no deal. When they said $20 each, I
            said I'll take any I can get! They gave me 15, (The kid in the warehouse
            can't count I guess), for $280... not a bad price.

            They are a 12-370 High Rate UPS battery by Dynasty, (Johnson Controls), and
            are rated 100Ah @ 20 hr rate. I limit my discharge to about 200 Amps,
            although they claim to be capable of 370A loads.

            My charger is a Zivan NG5 and I am putting small 1.1A individual chargers
            on them to keep them balanced. (Another unfinished project.)

            I've just recently started using the truck and don't have more than a dozen
            cycles on them but I floated them once a month since bringing them home
            1-1/2 years ago.

            If they last a year I'll be happy.

            Jim - Glendale, AZ
            www.evalbum. com/1703

            mail2web LIVE � Free email based on Microsoft� Exchange technology -
            http://link. mail2web. com/LIVE

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
              I am currenlty running on UPS batteries too:
              http://www.wolftronix.com/E10/images/P6030171.jpg

              Another place to check is aircraft maintenance facilities, they have to
              replace the batteries after XXXX amount of flight hours...

              They are typicly fine since the battery is just there for emergency power,
              in the case of APU and/or generator failure.

              Also, some aircraft have nicad, or mimh batteries in them, cause they are
              so much lighter then the lead acid AGM and gel batteries.

              I don't know of any aircraft that is using lithium-ion yet. :)

              Wolf
              *wags his tail*
              www.wolftronix.com