Temp Sensor inside the motor

  • Ray Darby
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2009
      Can anyone tell me what the specs (or, ideally, part number/source) for the temperature sensor inside the motor is? Note: I'm not referring to the sensor that sits on the outside of the motor - I found mine was turning on the fan at a such a low temperature, I just bypassed it so the fan runs when the car's turned on. My Force runs smoothly and properly with no jerking, so I'm pretty convinced its not a calibration issue.....

      There are two black wires that come off the speed sensor board the go into a hole to the motor. My 97 Force has this pesky intermittent operation issue that seems to be mostly temperature related (car stops suddenly after a few miles) but sometimes comes back to life suddenly if I hit a little bump (on one occaission it shuddured back and forth to life on a bumpy road, finally correcting itself).

      I've replaced the speed sensor's DB9 connector and thinking of replacing the 3M socket connectors associated with the speed sensor wiring.

      I'm also thinking of getting the new speed sensor bearing system from Andreas Kruspan but, before I do (it's about $600) I want to make sure it's not the speed sensor board......has anyone on the list installed this new system in place of the board?

      Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    • evan foss
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2009
        Did you try just removing the sensor hooking it up to a meter and
        power supply and testing hit? This could just be a bad connection in a
        wire.

        http://www.coe.neu.edu/~efoss/
        http://evanfoss.googlepages.com/
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 27, 2009
          Its a NTC Thermistor.

          I don't know the rating is on it, but with a little help we should be able
          to get enough data points to figure it out...

          If people want to help:

          Unplug the DE-9 encoder connector on the motor and measure the resistance
          from pin 5 to 9.

          Also make note of the motor temp, should be ambient if the car/truck has
          been sitting for a while.

          Mine was around 300 ohms at 45 degrees.

          This a search link to them:
          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=1966148&keywords=NTC%20Thermistor&stock=1

          You need to know the resistance at room temp to get in the ball park, and
          then you need a few data points so you can find the slope of the
          resistance to temp curve. Then just find one that is close to the same
          curve, and physical size. :)

          Wolf
          *wags his tail*
          www.wolftronix.com