Re: [solectria_ev] AMC325

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 15, 2009
      Hmmm, perhaps a flat fee, plus actual parts and shipping costs.

      That way, if its a 50 cent part, or it needs $600.00 worth of parts to
      repair it, then I am covered. :)

      And yeah, the parts cost could be that high, if lots of parts burned up
      and it took the circuit bord with it, I would have to etch a new
      replacement board for it. :/

      But, I do like the no charge if I can't fix it... Makes it so I don't give
      up so easily while tracking down the problem(s). ;)

      Wolf
      *wags his tail*
      www.wolftronix.com

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 15, 2009
        I don't know how I would do this...

        I kind of need to see the signals on the scope to see if its all working
        right. There are lots of small isolated power supplies in the drive, that
        all need to be functioning for it to work... And lots of gate drivers for
        those power supplies and the power MOSFETs...

        Also, I check things while its in cicuit and running, which means there is
        high voltage on lots of the parts, which can be a hazard if you don't know
        where to probe...

        And because there is lots of isolated supplies, you need to make sure your
        scope is also isolated, or has its ground reference on the isolated side.
        Otherwise you risk blowing up the power supply or your scope if you are
        not carefull.

        But anyway here are my basic trouble shooting steps, proceed at your own
        risk:

        1. Gather as much info on what the drive does / does not do.
        2. Open up drive and do visual inspection on all the parts.
        3. If parts are blown, remove them and test the cicuits that drive them,
        to make sure they are not blown or damaged. (you might need a working
        drive to comapre the signals.)
        4. If nothing looks blown, then ohm out all the fuses and check that there
        are no main power shorts.
        5. Connect it up to your known working test bed (I use my truck).
        6. Hook up the monitor port to the laptop, run the software and turn on
        the truck.
        7. If the monitor program can't talk to the drive, then start tracing the
        main power on the drive till you find where it stops, evaluate what is
        wrong with the cicuit... This is where having knowledge of different
        circuit parts and layouts helps, i.e. main dc-dc convertor not working?
        Smaller power supplies not providing 5 volts to the micro, or logic
        chips?, etc...
        8. If the monitor program works, then look at what its displaying, it
        should tell you what faults are on the drive. i.e if you never see the
        thottle level change, or it thinks the motor is over temp., then you know
        its something wrong with that circuit. :)

        Hope this helps.

        Wolf
        *wags his tail*
        www.wolftronix.com

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 15, 2009
          Yeah, I would love to have them fixed in a day or two... but they are
          rather complex and hard to track down issues.

          After a visual inspection, I should know if its going to be a quick fix,
          or its going to take some sniffing around to find the problem.

          The main problem is that I have to put my truck up on blocks, and then
          swap out a controller with the bad one to work on it.

          I don't want to keep EVs off the road, mine or anyone else. :)

          Also, every one that I do fix, I will document and place on the website,
          so hopefully after a while a trend might develop. Perhaps its always the
          same section that dies, or has a problems. If this is true, then I can put
          exact instructions on how to fix it. :)

          That way people would be able to fix there own drives, then I can devote
          time to my many other projects. :)

          Wolf
          *wags his tail*
          www.wolftronix.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 15, 2009
            It has been decided that I will keep track of the labor hours I work on
            broken things, and that I should charge $35.00 an hour to fix them.

            If it takes more then 14 total hours or labor to fix, then it will be
            capped at $500.00

            So the total will be Labor (Max $500.00) Plus the actual parts and
            shipping cost.

            If I can't fix it, there is no charge.

            This takes care of the situations where its a realy simple fix, like a
            loose cable, or bad connector, bad fuse, etc... :)

            Now, if only I could get my paws on a spare motor... then I would not have
            to keep taking my truck out of service for trouble shooting... ;)

            Wolf
            *wags his tail*
            www.wolftronix.com

            > Hmmm, perhaps a flat fee, plus actual parts and shipping costs.
            >
            > That way, if its a 50 cent part, or it needs $600.00 worth of parts to
            > repair it, then I am covered. :)
            >
            > And yeah, the parts cost could be that high, if lots of parts burned up
            > and it took the circuit bord with it, I would have to etch a new
            > replacement board for it. :/
            >
            > But, I do like the no charge if I can't fix it... Makes it so I don't give
            > up so easily while tracking down the problem(s). ;)
            >
            > Wolf
            > *wags his tail*
            > www.wolftronix.com
            >
            >> Wolf:
            >>
            >> I see your problem on what to charge for fixing an AMC325.
            >> Maybe a flat fee.? Suppose we say $500.00.? I admit it is not
            >> cheep, but a customer will know going in what it will cost.
            >>
            >> Nothing makes me nervous like going to an accountant, lawyer,
            >> dentist, mechanic?or doctor and not knowing what it will cost up front.
            >> Maybe a $500.00 or nothing will at least let customers know
            >> up front.? If you cannot fix it, there is no charge.? If you replace
            >> a $0.50 diode (after diagnosis) it is still $500.00
            >>
            >> The more AMC325's you work on, the better and faster you will
            >> get.? Over time, your dollars earned per hour will increase.
            >>
            >> Sincerely,
            >>
            >> Gerard (Gary) Carlson
            >> gjc0@...
            >> 1992 Solectria with an AMC325 controller

          • Gerard (Gary) Carlson
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 16, 2009
              Wolf:

              Couldn't any 3 phase motor with a similar resistance and winding configuration work?? I hear three 208 volt three phase motors are fairly cheep on E-Bay.

              If you got really fancy, you could hook it to an old automatic tranny and use the torque converter as a load.

              Sincerely,

              Gerard (Gary) Carlson
              208-362-4999
              gjc0@...

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 16, 2009
                Yeah, almost any squirrel cage 3 phase motor will work... but I would have
                to make the encoder board and encoder disk to get it to work with the
                controller.

                I might be able to borrow a broken motor in exchange for fixing it... we
                will see. :)

                Wolf
                *wags his tail*
                www.wolftronix.com