Solectria Sunrise?

  • packratdaddy
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
      How many of the Solectria Sunrise were produced ?
      Any members of this group own one ?
    • Stephen Taylor
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
        I had one up to a year ago. Wasn't real happy with it and ended up selling it. The drive system didn't work properly, (the motor kept overheating), the efficiency of the car with these drive problems was worse than the Force, the air conditioning was a joke (only worked well if temps were below 80 probably due to the half sized condenser) and the space (other than shoulder room) inside the car wasn't much bigger than the Force. Other negatives included the half sized windows, plexiglass rear window and the leaks alround those windows. On the positive side it did have lots and lots of room for batteries in the tunnel and in the huge trunk.

        Stephen Taylor

        packratdaddy <packratdaddy@...> wrote:

        How many of the Solectria Sunrise were produced ?
        Any members of this group own one ?

      • Bill or Dorothy Swann
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
          http://www.evalbum.com/655

          Thanks,Bill S
          Ph 832-338-3080
          me-www.hstech.biz
          EV's-www.promotingevs.com

          ________________________________
          How many of the Solectria Sunrise were produced ?
          Any members of this group own one ?

        • evan foss
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
            How accurate was the range listed for you Sunrise?

            On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Stephen Taylor <sparrow262@...> wrote:
            > I had one up to a year ago. Wasn't real happy with it and ended up selling
            > it. The drive system didn't work properly, (the motor kept overheating), the
            > efficiency of the car with these drive problems was worse than the Force,
            > the air conditioning was a joke (only worked well if temps were below 80
            > probably due to the half sized condenser) and the space (other than shoulder
            > room) inside the car wasn't much bigger than the Force. Other negatives
            > included the half sized windows, plexiglass rear window and the leaks
            > alround those windows. On the positive side it did have lots and lots of
            > room for batteries in the tunnel and in the huge trunk.
            >
            > Stephen Taylor
            >
            > packratdaddy <packratdaddy@...> wrote:
            >
            > How many of the Solectria Sunrise were produced ?
            > Any members of this group own one ?

            http://www.coe.neu.edu/~efoss/
            http://evanfoss.googlepages.com/
          • Stephen Taylor
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
              It was running about 40% less efficiently than my Force.  I think the overheating motor was a sure sign of power being wasted and a problem in the motor or controller.  Anyways the most I ever got on a single charge was 156 miles.  Had to make three or 4 trips to add up to the 156 miles since the motor would overheat usually around 50 miles or so of continuous driving.

              Stephen Taylor

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
                Thanks for the data. Shame you never found the fault.

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2009
                  I had bought a new DMOC controller and AC24 motor to install in the Sunrise and it had just arrived when I got the offer to sell the car.  Ended up installing them in one of my Forces.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2009
                    Thank you for answering my questions.

                    On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Stephen Taylor <sparrow262@...> wrote:
                    > I had bought a new DMOC controller and AC24 motor to install in the Sunrise
                    > and it had just arrived when I got the offer to sell the car. Ended up
                    > installing them in one of my Forces.
                    >
                    > Stephen

                  • Mark Freidberg
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 16, 2009
                      Hi Stephen,

                      Did the performance or energy consumption of the vehicle change after installing the motor and controller?

                      Mark

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 16, 2009
                        I sold the Sunrise before I installed the new motor and controller in it so I never got to see if it fixed the problems I was having in that car.

                        In the Force, keeping in  mind I never kept records, the efficiency and performance seem about the same to me.  There are some small differences in the way the car reacts.  With the new motor and controller there seems to be a little surge of power around 35 mph in the normal mode.  I really don't drive in Power mode much if at all in any of my Forces so I can't tell you much about top end performance.   The sounds coming from the motor/gearbox are not exactly the same either, I think they are a little harsher, although I think the sound has lessened as the motor was broken in (I now have about 2800 miles on the new motor).

                        During regen the car with the  DMOC controller doesn't seem to brake as hard as I am coming to a stop.  I've noted in my standard Force that once the car slows to about 25mph during regen the car's rate of slowing increases and the car comes to a stop fairly quickly.  The DMOC Force has a more even deceleration rate and might not stop in the same amount of space.  That could all just be programming in the DMOC and AMC controllers, because I have a 1999 NiCD Force, with the AMC controller, that also doesn't decelerate as fast as my 1997 Lithium Force with the same AMC model controller.

                        I am not 100% sure that my controller is programmed exactly right for a Force, because it was all originally programmed for the Sunrise which had a 294 volt battery pack.  The controller's firmware and the motor's wiring all had to be changed and even then several small adjustments had to be made to get the car to operate properly.

                        The nice thing about the DMOC setup is that if and when a new battery is available, I can easily adjust this setup to a different voltage.  I bought a new gearbox with the AC24 motor and one thing you would need to keep in mind is that the new gearbox does not have a speedometer interface.  I ended up buying an electronic speedometer from EV parts and then used the controller's output to send a signal to the new speedometer.  The old speedometer was cut out of the dash and the new one installed in its place.

                        Stephen Taylor