Re: Reprogramming Solectria Controllers

  • Bill Swann
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 9, 2009
      Is there a document showing the programmable variables in a BRUSA, as
      well as the permissible ranges of said variables?
      Thanks
      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Taylor <sparrow262@...>
      wrote:

      > I think the Brusa has the fewest parameters and the DMOC the most.
      I know with the DMOC most of the parameters have no meaning to me
      because I don't understand the terms. Things like ISR2IqSet
      "Set-point for direct torque" and ISR2IqF "Quadrature current". There
      are probably 50 plus parameters you can change on the DMOC most of
      which I would never touch. The UMOC has something around 30 plus
      parameters and I'm not sure about the Brusa, but I think it was less
      than 20.

      > Stephen Taylor
      >
      > Bill Swann <dbswann4@...> wrote: When
      you connect to a controller, whether it is a BRUSA, or UMOC, or
      > the DMOC, what are the variables that can be changed/viewed? I can
      > think of the highest frequency/Hz and maybe the controller response to
      > accel and decel inputs. Is there a document out there, that spells
      > this out?
      > Thanks, Bill S
      > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "johndufurrena" <baskodoc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm sure that this is a subject that has been discussed here before
      > > but, as a new member and a new owner of a Solectria Flash truck I
      could
      > > use some advice.
      > > My truck is supposed to be able to go 45 mph but, despite a brand
      new
      > > battery pack its top speed is only 30. It seems to have plenty of
      > > power and torque at 30 (It will climb a hill no problem going that
      > > fast). I suspect the controller needs to be looked at. I also
      have
      > > trouble getting it to go in reverse. I turn the knob to reverse and
      > > step on the accelerator and usually nothing happens but,
      occasionally
      > > it does go backward.
      > >
      > > I know Azure Dynamics took over Solectria. Do they service
      controllers?
      > > If not, can you tell me where I might be able to send it to have it
      > > maintained and reprogrammed?
      > > Are there any group members in South Eastern Idaho? (I live
      outside
      > > Boise in Star.)
      > > Thanks,
      > > John D.

    • Mike Phillips
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 10, 2009
        Hi Stephen,

        I've decoded many of the parameters for US Electricar. If there is a
        complete list somewhere of parameters for the various Solectria
        hardware, I might be able to help interpret them.

        Mike

        wrote:

        > I think the Brusa has the fewest parameters and the DMOC the most.
        I know with the DMOC most of the parameters have no meaning to me
        because I don't understand the terms. Things like ISR2IqSet
        "Set-point for direct torque" and ISR2IqF "Quadrature current". There
        are probably 50 plus parameters you can change on the DMOC most of
        which I would never touch. The UMOC has something around 30 plus
        parameters and I'm not sure about the Brusa, but I think it was less
        than 20.

        > Stephen Taylor
        >
        > Bill Swann <dbswann4@...> wrote: When
        you connect to a controller, whether it is a BRUSA, or UMOC, or
        > the DMOC, what are the variables that can be changed/viewed? I can
        > think of the highest frequency/Hz and maybe the controller response to
        > accel and decel inputs. Is there a document out there, that spells
        > this out?
        > Thanks, Bill S
        > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "johndufurrena" <baskodoc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm sure that this is a subject that has been discussed here before
        > > but, as a new member and a new owner of a Solectria Flash truck I
        could
        > > use some advice.
        > > My truck is supposed to be able to go 45 mph but, despite a brand
        new
        > > battery pack its top speed is only 30. It seems to have plenty of
        > > power and torque at 30 (It will climb a hill no problem going that
        > > fast). I suspect the controller needs to be looked at. I also
        have
        > > trouble getting it to go in reverse. I turn the knob to reverse and
        > > step on the accelerator and usually nothing happens but,
        occasionally
        > > it does go backward.
        > >
        > > I know Azure Dynamics took over Solectria. Do they service
        controllers?
        > > If not, can you tell me where I might be able to send it to have it
        > > maintained and reprogrammed?
        > > Are there any group members in South Eastern Idaho? (I live
        outside
        > > Boise in Star.)
        > > Thanks,
        > > John D.

      • Stephen Taylor
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 10, 2009
          I don't have a car with a UMOC controller any longer, that was the in Sunrise I sold last year and I have never tried adjusting the Programming in a Brusa controller although Azure did adjust mine when I got my Valence batteries and I might be able to dig up the list the tech printed of the current parameters in that car.

          I do have 2 cars with DMOC controllers one Force and my Doran. They are different versions of the DMOC controller so they have different parameters and use somewhat different programs to get to those parameters. The Doran has the older controller and uses ccShell 2.0 while the Force has ccShell 3.0. I have never seen a concise list of the parameters in any literature from Azure and the literature they do have is password protected I believe so I think the only thing I could do is turn on these programs and write down the names they use for each parameter, unless Beth has a list she is willing to share. In the literature I do have I could probably come up with definitions for maybe 25% of the parameters, but in many cases the definitions don't help me much when I don't understand the meaning of the words.

          Since you asked, I started looking for a list of parameters and ran across a couple of people that have experienced the same problems that I have and their fixes so I might try those. The worse symptons were oscillating regen braking in the Doran along with more minor acceleration oscillation when the batteries get to about 60% state of charge. To get rid of the regen problem I had simply cut maximum regen back to 1/3 of the original value, and that worked. Of course the downside is not having as strong a regen as I would like. I have found no fix for the acceleration problem other than accelerating more slowly, using Econ most of the time and not driving the car past the 60% SOC mark. The Force really only has a gittery (a much slighter oscillation) acceleration around 30 mph which really isn't much different than my Brusa equiped Force so I am not too concerned with it.

          One 914 owner apparently adjusted downward the EEXTorqueSlew, the EEXUnloadedTorqueSlew and the EEXBrakeTorgueSlew. So I think I will give those parameters a shot in the Doran assuming my version of the DMOC actually allows me to adjust those particular parameters.

          Thanks for prodding me into looking for an answer again.

          Stephen Taylor

          Mike Phillips <mikep_95133@...> wrote: Hi Stephen,

          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 10, 2009
            Here are all the parameters you can change in the AMC320:
            http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/AMC_parameters.jpg

            Pressing "F1" on any of the parameters will bring up the permissible range
            of the variable. :)

            This pic is from the AMC320 drive I am working on... I can force override
            it to power up and work... but it still won't come on under normal
            conditions... :/

            I think there is an interlock some where that is not working any more, and
            that is forcing the controller to be always off.

            Wolf
            *wags his tail*
            www.wolftronix.com

          • baskodoc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 10, 2009
              Todd,
              Thank you for your reply.? That well could be the problem since the truck will do 30mph uphill or down.
              If I can verify that the motor is wired that way I might be able to order the switch from Brusa.? The question is "how could one tell?"
              John

              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 10, 2009
                Thanks Wolf.
                I have a question. I am restoring an E-10. AzureDynamics's records indicate that the battery voltage is 226. One voltage serving both controllers. However, there is an extra battery enclosure on top of the front battery box, with room for 2 more batteries. 19 batts becomes 21 batts (252v.) <http://www.promotingevs.com/Unknown%20components.html> I note, that in the list of parameters, that you posted, that there is a high and low voltage listed. Am I reading this correctly? Is the low voltage, the value at which the limp home mode kicks in?
                Thanks, Bill S

                ________________________________
> [...]

                > could
                >> > use some advice.
                >> > My truck is supposed to be able to go 45 mph but, despite a brand
                > new
                >> > battery pack its top speed is only 30. It seems to have plenty of
                >> > power and torque at 30 (It will climb a hill no problem going that
                >> > fast). I suspect the controller needs to be looked at. I also
                > have
                >> > trouble getting it to go in reverse. I turn the knob to reverse and
                >> > step on the accelerator and usually nothing happens but,
                > occasionally
                >> > it does go backward.
                >> >
                >> > I know Azure Dynamics took over Solectria. Do they service
                > controllers?
                >> > If not, can you tell me where I might be able to send it to have it
                >> > maintained and reprogrammed?
                >> > Are there any group members in South Eastern Idaho? (I live

              • Bill or Dorothy Swann
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 10, 2009
                  I am exploring the Ignition box on an E-10. If you have a ignition box, I am posting information about the hookup here. <http://www.promotingevs.com/Ignition%20Board%20Logic.html>
                  Bill s

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 10, 2009
                    Your ignition box looks different then mine:
                    http://www.wolftronix.com/console/

                    But all the parts look to be the same.

                    The AD654 part in question is a voltage to frequency converter:
                    http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/Data_Sheets/AD654.pdf

                    If your speedometer is not working, replacing this chip will fix it. :)

                    Wolf
                    *wags his tail*
                    www.wolftronix.com

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 10, 2009
                      Your best bet is to power up one of the controllers with the nominal
                      voltage listed on the name plate, and then run the config program and see
                      how much you can adjust the voltage.

                      The voltages in the contollers can be changed, but only with in certain
                      limits, due to hardware limitations... i.e. In the AMC 320 the the main DC
                      bulk caps are only rated to 250 volts...
                      http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/images/PB290067.jpg

                      Typicly, you want a good 20% margin of error on the voltage of a bulk cap. ;)

                      The low battery voltage limit tells the controller to limit its current
                      draw, such that the battery will not discharge below the set voltage.
                      (This is limp home mode).

                      The high battery voltage limit tells the controller to limit its regen
                      current, such that the battery will not over charge above the set voltage.
                      (this is what makes regen breaks not work so well after a full charge).

                      Wolf
                      *wags his tail*
                      www.wolftronix.com

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 10, 2009
                        You will need to open up your motor's wiring plate:

                        If its wired like this its DELTA:
                        http://www.wolftronix.com/E10/images/P4010217.jpg

                        If its wired like this its WYE:
                        http://www.wolftronix.com/E10/images/P4010218.jpg

                        Then you need to check how your console is setting the drive...

                        1. Unplug the main disconnect, so nothing has power.
                        2. Assuming you have an AMC3XX drive, then unplug the 25 pin connector.
                        3. Using an Ohm meter check between (pins 1 and 2) and (pins 1 and 16), on
                        the cable side, not the controller side.
                        4. If its shorted pins 1 and 2, then its DELTA. If its shorted pins 1 and
                        16 then its WYE.

                        For more speed, but half the torque you want DELTA. Both the controller
                        and the motor have to be set/wired to the same mode to function properly.

                        If the motor and the contoller are already set to DELTA, then you need to
                        reprogram the drive to change the speed limiter.

                        If the controller speed limit is already set to the max, then you will
                        need to change the gear/belt ratio in the transmission/belt box, and/or
                        the differential.

                        Wolf
                        *wags his tail*
                        www.wolftronix.com

                        > Todd,
                        > Thank you for your reply.? That well could be the problem since the truck
                        > will do 30mph uphill or down.
                        > If I can verify that the motor is wired that way I might be able to order
                        > the switch from Brusa.? The question is "how could one tell?"
                        > John

                      • Bill or Dorothy Swann
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 11, 2009
                          I got some feedback from a Solectria ex, on the naming convention of the BRUSA controllers. "Brusa controllers # ACav, a=amps X 100, v=volts X 10 and . So an AC230
                          would 200 amps at 300 volts.

                          ________________________________
                          Your best bet is to power up one of the controllers with the nominal
                          voltage listed on the name plate, and then run the config program and see
                          how much you can adjust the voltage.

                          The voltages in the contollers can be changed, but only with in certain
                          limits, due to hardware limitations. .. i.e. In the AMC 320 the the main DC
                          bulk caps are only rated to 250 volts...
                          http://www.wolftron ix.com/amc320/ images/PB290067. jpg

                          Typicly, you want a good 20% margin of error on the voltage of a bulk cap. ;)

                          The low battery voltage limit tells the controller to limit its current
                          draw, such that the battery will not discharge below the set voltage.
                          (This is limp home mode).

                          The high battery voltage limit tells the controller to limit its regen
                          current, such that the battery will not over charge above the set voltage.
                          (this is what makes regen breaks not work so well after a full charge).

                          Wolf
                          *wags his tail*
                          www.wolftronix. com

                          > Thanks Wolf.
                          > I have a question. I am restoring an E-10. AzureDynamics' s records
                          > indicate that the battery voltage is 226. One voltage serving both
                          > controllers. However, there is an extra battery enclosure on top of
                          > the front battery box, with room for 2 more batteries. 19 batts
                          > becomes 21 batts (252v.)
                          > <http://www.promotin gevs.com/ Unknown%20compon ents.html> I note, that
                          > in the list of parameters, that you posted, that there is a high and
                          > low voltage listed. Am I reading this correctly? Is the low voltage,
                          > the value at which the limp home mode kicks in?
                          > Thanks, Bill S
                          >

                          > ____________ _________ _________ __

                        • Mike Phillips
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 11, 2009
                            Thanks for the screen shot Wolf. I should upload the software and look
                            at the range of each variable as well.

                            The interlocks on the USE hardware is the same way. Everything has to
                            be 100% running or it faults. Everything that needs to be running is
                            very useful, but it makes debug slow.

                            I built a test fixture so that the boards could be brought up mostly
                            as they are in the vehicles. At least if something is not perfect it
                            can be found with a scope. Also the test fixture keeps things from
                            getting even more smoked by using current limited supplies.

                            Mike

                            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Wolf" <wolf@...> wrote:

                            > Here are all the parameters you can change in the AMC320:
                            > http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/AMC_parameters.jpg
                            >
                            > Pressing "F1" on any of the parameters will bring up the permissible
                            range
                            > of the variable. :)
                            >
                            > This pic is from the AMC320 drive I am working on... I can force
                            override
                            > it to power up and work... but it still won't come on under normal
                            > conditions... :/
                            >
                            > I think there is an interlock some where that is not working any
                            more, and
                            > that is forcing the controller to be always off.
                            >
                            > Wolf
                            > *wags his tail*
                            > www.wolftronix.com
                            >
                            > > Is there a document showing the programmable variables in a BRUSA, as
                            > > well as the permissible ranges of said variables?
                            > > Thanks
                            > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Taylor <sparrow262@>
                            > > wrote:
                            > >>
                            > >> I think the Brusa has the fewest parameters and the DMOC the most.
                            > > I know with the DMOC most of the parameters have no meaning to me
                            > > because I don't understand the terms. Things like ISR2IqSet
                            > > "Set-point for direct torque" and ISR2IqF "Quadrature current". There
                            > > are probably 50 plus parameters you can change on the DMOC most of
                            > > which I would never touch. The UMOC has something around 30 plus
                            > > parameters and I'm not sure about the Brusa, but I think it was less
                            > > than 20.
                            > >>
                            > >> Stephen Taylor
                            > >>
                            > >> Bill Swann <dbswann4@> wrote: When
                            > > you connect to a controller, whether it is a BRUSA, or UMOC, or
                            > >> the DMOC, what are the variables that can be changed/viewed? I can
                            > >> think of the highest frequency/Hz and maybe the controller
                            response to
                            > >> accel and decel inputs. Is there a document out there, that spells
                            > >> this out?
                            > >> Thanks, Bill S
                            > >> --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "johndufurrena" <baskodoc@>

                            > > could
                            > > new
                            > > have
                            > > occasionally

                            > > controllers?
                            > > outside

                          • Jim Coate
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 11, 2009
                              Bill or Dorothy Swann wrote:
                              > I got some feedback from a Solectria ex, on the naming convention of
                              > the BRUSA controllers. "Brusa controllers # ACav, a=amps X 100,
                              > v=volts X 10 and . So an AC230 would 200 amps at 300 volts.

                              From Wolf:
                              > In the AMC 320 the the main DC bulk caps are only rated
                              > to 250 volts...

                              From the naming scheme, the AC320 is good for 200 volts. But from Wolf,
                              it has 250 volt caps.

                              So... that is more like the *peak* usable voltage. If actually used with
                              a 200 volt pack (192 volts is the closest standard with 12 volt
                              batteries), will end up close to 240 volts at the end of charge which is
                              way too close to the cap limit.

                              In turn, should select a nominal pack voltage such that fresh off charge
                              it will still be under the 200 volts. Which means a "200 volt" unit tops
                              out with a 156 volt pack.

                              So this could be a misleading naming scheme?

                              NOTE: Mail sent to the "NO_REPLY" address will *not* reach me.
                              To send me a private message, please follow the directions here:
                              http://www.coate.org/contact_jim/

                              Jim Coate, Spencertown, New York
                              1997 Solectria Force, 1970's Elec-Traks
                              http://www.eeevee.com
                              http://www.ElectricTractorStore.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 11, 2009
                                The 250 volt marking on the cap means that it will fail at 250 volts.

                                For large electrolitic caps you want at least a 20% over rating to
                                guarantee opperation over its life... they do degrade over time.

                                Thus, 250 volts X 20% is 200 volts.

                                The offical voltage range for an AMC 320 (according to the manual) is the
                                following:
                                Possible Nominal Battery Voltage Range with 12V- Pb -Blocks: 108 - 144 V
                                Max. Voltage Range: 91.5 - 173 V
                                Absolute maximal Battery Voltage (cut off): 180 - 190 V

                                There are other componets that will be out of range, like the voltage
                                sense circuits.

                                I would not recomend to run any controller over or under its intended
                                voltage range.

                                The different models AMC 320, 325, 330, 335, etc... will have different
                                rated componets in them, and have differnet voltage dividers and power
                                supplies to opperate at the different voltage ranges.

                                Wolf
                                *wags his tail*
                                www.wolftronix.com

                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 11, 2009
                                  A 144 volt (nominal) maximum for the AC320 makes much more sense. Thanks.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 11, 2009
                                    Great video Wolf. What was the computer screen in the background? Was that the DOS program CCShell for looking at the parameters? Or was it your own concoction?
                                    The controller in E-10's that I am restoring (94's) are labeled AC230. (not AMC...). I was told by Beth that the trucks shipped with the nominal voltage is 19 x 12v = 228v. There is, (what I think), an extra battery box in the front. See the link below. Note that it has "Solectria" stenciled on it. So now 19 batts is 21 x 12v = 252v. Add 20 % and it becomes 302volts. Maybe I should not run it with 19 batteries. Or at least, open the controller to the ratings on the capacitors. I will ask the unknown Solectria ex if he has further comments.
                                    Bill S

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 11, 2009
                                      The laptop was running the MONLOG.EXE program, which lets you look at all
                                      the parameters in the drive real time.

                                      Here is a better pic:
                                      http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/images/IMG_7309.jpg

                                      I would get it up and running with the correct name plate battery voltage
                                      first... then you can play around with it later, see what voltages the
                                      controller supports, etc...

                                      That way you don't blow up the controllers right off the bat. ;D

                                      Wolf
                                      *wags his tail*
                                      www.wolftronix.com

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 11, 2009
                                        Do you know what the programs are at <ftp://boston.azuredynamics.com/> under software. Log on and password is "azureguest".
                                        Bill s

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 11, 2009
                                          It looks like those are used to program the DMOC drives.

                                          Wolf
                                          *wags his tail*
                                          www.wolftronix.com