Tires for the Force...

  • Andrew Foss
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 29, 2002
      Force owners I'm wearing out my first set of tires on the Force(I'm
      commuting in it every day and loving it).
      I know tire condition and pressure has a large impact on the
      performance. Has anyone any recommendations for replacement tires? I
      think the factory ones are getting hard to find here?

      thanks,
      andrew

      --
      Please Note:

      Caw Networks has moved, our new address and numbers are

      Caw Networks, Inc.
      3231 Scott Blvd.
      Santa Clara, CA 95054

      408 327 5200
      408 327 5201 Fax

    • BECKETT,WILL (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 29, 2002
        I tried to find the originals and was not able to do this. I wore mine out
        within 10K. I know others have done much better. Any case I tried to find
        a low rolling resistance tire in that size and failed, so I ended up with a
        Bridgestone and can look at the paper work in my glove box next time I am at
        the body shop. Take a look at this URL:

        http://r2.us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?st
        artIndex=0
        <http://r2.us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?s
        tartIndex=0&width=195%2F&ratio=65&diameter=15&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum
        =1&pagemark=1&manufacturer=Bridgestone>
        &width=195%2F&ratio=65&diameter=15&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark
        =1&manufacturer=Bridgestone

        - Will

        Will Beckett
        Contact information (https://ecardfile.com/id/will_beckett
        <https://ecardfile.com/id/will_beckett> )

        Force owners I'm wearing out my first set of tires on the Force(I'm
        commuting in it every day and loving it).
        I know tire condition and pressure has a large impact on the
        performance. Has anyone any recommendations for replacement tires? I
        think the factory ones are getting hard to find here?

        thanks,
        andrew

        --
        Please Note:

        Caw Networks has moved, our new address and numbers are

        Caw Networks, Inc.
        3231 Scott Blvd.
        Santa Clara, CA 95054

        408 327 5200
        408 327 5201 Fax

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050832
        69:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=1017419457%
        3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705083269:HM/A=847665/R=1>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=1705083269:HM/A=847665/rand=434135274>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • BECKETT,WILL (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 29, 2002
          That didn't translate well. Let me try this again

          http://r2.us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?st
          artIndex=0&width=195/&ratio=65&diameter=15&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 29, 2002
            My '92 Force is running on "Metric" brand tires from a Farm & Fleet
            store. I air them to 45 psi, which is 5 psi above what they recommend on
            the sidewalls. These were relatively inexpensive tires, and had been just
            installed when I bought the Force. Most likely not a LRR tire though.

            Look in the EVDL archives for tire discussions from about 6 months
            ago. There were good comments made about sources and a suggestion to check
            junk yards for new car pulls to get the factory LRR tires.

            Cheers,
            JohnM

            '92 Solectria Force
            http://www.mccainhome.com/ev
          • gardnerh@juno.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 30, 2002
              I just purchased a set of Michelin Proxima LRR for my Ford Escort. If
              you have 14" rims you might consider them. Mine were $62 each.

              Gar Harris

              On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:04:43 -0500 "BECKETT,WILL (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)"
              <Will_Beckett@...> writes:
              > I tried to find the originals and was not able to do this. I wore
              > mine out
              > within 10K. I know others have done much better. Any case I tried
              > to find
              > a low rolling resistance tire in that size and failed, so I ended up
              > with a
              > Bridgestone and can look at the paper work in my glove box next time
              > I am at
              > the body shop. Take a look at this URL:

            • Don Buckshot
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 30, 2002
                Gar,
                14" rims?
                Since mine are 13", I must ask if there is an advantage to having 14"
                and of course were they that size on your car originally. You may have a
                later model than I do.

                Mine is a 1996 (4) door NiMH with about 30k miles on it. The tires are
                about half way thru their tread life. They are 155/80R13 Nokian NRT2s,
                made in Finland and are rated for 44PSI max pressure. Can anyone tell
                me if this is the original type on the new car?

                Don Buckshot

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 30, 2002
                  I tried to get Michelin Proxima for the Force but they did not have them in
                  13". I went with

                  <http://r2.us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bs
                  _bt70s.jsp> Bridgestone
                  BT70s
                  Size:155/-13

                  Which allow for a max pressure of 44psi and are rated for 70K miles

                  69:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=1017481255%
                  3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705083269:HM/A=847665/R=1>

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupmai
                  l/S=1705083269:HM/A=847665/rand=501657830>

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 30, 2002
                    I'm pretty sure Michelin makes a Proxima LRR for the Peugoet 106 electric,
                    in 175-70 13 size (IIRC). However, it's possible that they don't import
                    them to the US. See the information below for a possible contact who might
                    be able to tell you.

                    I doubt that Nokian tires were fitted to the original Chevy/Geo Metros, but
                    they ~are~ billed as reduced rolling resistance tires:

                    http://www.nokian.com/nokian_nrt2_en.html

                    That designation is unusual. It's gotten more difficult to find LRR tires
                    in the replacement market because few consumers care about fuel efficiency.
                    Today ride comfort, noise, and long treadwear are of greater interest.

                    Here are some contact numbers for people who are supposed to be able to help
                    with LRR or RRR tires for EVs:

                    Goodyear - Bill Egan - 216-796-2715
                    Michelin - Jim Knowles - 803-458-4647

                    These were current a few years ago, but they may not still be. I think Bill
                    Egan is still with Goodyear, though. He's helped a number of correspondents
                    on the EV mailing list find suitable tires.

                    David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
                    1991 Solectria Force 144vac
                    1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
                    1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
                    1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
                    Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
                    thou knowest." Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.
                    Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion
                    Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                    -- Harper's Index,
                    April 2002
                  • gardnerh@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 31, 2002
                      It is possible that the Proximas come in different sized than that used
                      on the EV1 but at $62 the price was right and I wanted to replace the
                      ultra heavy steel rims on my Escort anyway. So between the Konig Reign
                      rims and the Proxima tires, I probably paid a bit more than if I had just
                      bought 13" premium quality tires in the first place. 1993 Escorts came
                      with 13 or 14" rims depending on the model one purchased. My speedo will
                      now read a tad slow but I couldnt care less.

                      Gar