Re: [solectria_ev] Knocking/Tapping Sound

  • jim donovan
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 14, 2008
      Does your speedometer jump when the noise occurs?  I have the very same issues you have but I think that it is related to my speedometer cable needing to be "greased".

      Jim
      Westwood, KS

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 14, 2008
        Hello Jim. Whatever happened to the broken controller in the Solectria from Houston?
        Bill S

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 14, 2008
          The sounds a bit like the problem that I had in which the drain tube
          from the base of the windshield was hitting the axle. I fixed it
          permanently by cutting off the last half inch of this tube.

          Ken
        • jim donovan
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 14, 2008
            Four minor parts and it is back on the road.  Therefore, I opted to list the other one for sale.  It is on the road and quite a nice ride.  Know anyone interested?

            Jim

            ____________ _________ _________ __
[...]

          • Gerard (Gary) Carlson
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 15, 2008
              Greetings:

              I had a tapping / clicking sound on my 1992 Solectria Force a few years ago.
              It got worse over time and was especially noticeable when I turned sharply to
              the right or left.?

              Acceleration (positive or negative) also caused the noise to get worse.? After
              a few opinions we decided it was the CV joints.? Because the Force is all
              custom up there in the drive train, the mechanic could not find any CV
              joints off-the-shelf for a Geo Metro that would fit the Solectria.

              We finally ended up removing the CV joints and having a rebuilder, repair
              them.? It was not cheap, but I have not had trouble for years.? Ask a front
              end shop to check the CV joints if you cannot diagnose the problem to be
              something else.

              Sincerely,

              Gerard (Gary) Carlson
              1992 Solectria Force
              ID License:? AMPEATR
              gjc0@...

            • Wolf Packs, Inc.
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 15, 2008
                Bill M. Our '97 Force had a knocking/tapping sound that was easy to
                fix, I hope yours is the same. The rubber cushion cylinder on the
                right front side of the anti-sway bar had rotated so that the metal
                bar knocked on the bracket.

                Paul M.
                Ashland, OR

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 16, 2008
                  Consider a CV joint issue but the mileage seems low for that.
                  Hopefully you find something less sinister.

                  Mike R
                  97 Force

                • mehlsfamily@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 16, 2008
                    Thanks to all for the thoughts on this sound in the 97 Force. I'll
                    investigate it more in the next few weeks and let you know what I find. Thanks again.
                    Bill M.