Re: [solectria_ev] Knocking/Tapping Sound

  • Bill or Dorothy Swann
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 14, 2008
      With a mirror on a stick , check the oil level in the gearbox. There is a sight glass, near where the drive shafts exit. I have no reason to think this is the problem, but it is important.
      Bill S

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 14, 2008
        Does your speedometer jump when the noise occurs?  I have the very same issues you have but I think that it is related to my speedometer cable needing to be "greased".

        Jim
        Westwood, KS

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 14, 2008
          Hello Jim. Whatever happened to the broken controller in the Solectria from Houston?
          Bill S

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 14, 2008
            The sounds a bit like the problem that I had in which the drain tube
            from the base of the windshield was hitting the axle. I fixed it
            permanently by cutting off the last half inch of this tube.

            Ken
          • jim donovan
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 14, 2008
              Four minor parts and it is back on the road.  Therefore, I opted to list the other one for sale.  It is on the road and quite a nice ride.  Know anyone interested?

              Jim

              ____________ _________ _________ __
[...]

            • Gerard (Gary) Carlson
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 15, 2008
                Greetings:

                I had a tapping / clicking sound on my 1992 Solectria Force a few years ago.
                It got worse over time and was especially noticeable when I turned sharply to
                the right or left.?

                Acceleration (positive or negative) also caused the noise to get worse.? After
                a few opinions we decided it was the CV joints.? Because the Force is all
                custom up there in the drive train, the mechanic could not find any CV
                joints off-the-shelf for a Geo Metro that would fit the Solectria.

                We finally ended up removing the CV joints and having a rebuilder, repair
                them.? It was not cheap, but I have not had trouble for years.? Ask a front
                end shop to check the CV joints if you cannot diagnose the problem to be
                something else.

                Sincerely,

                Gerard (Gary) Carlson
                1992 Solectria Force
                ID License:? AMPEATR
                gjc0@...

              • Wolf Packs, Inc.
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 15, 2008
                  Bill M. Our '97 Force had a knocking/tapping sound that was easy to
                  fix, I hope yours is the same. The rubber cushion cylinder on the
                  right front side of the anti-sway bar had rotated so that the metal
                  bar knocked on the bracket.

                  Paul M.
                  Ashland, OR

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 16, 2008
                    Consider a CV joint issue but the mileage seems low for that.
                    Hopefully you find something less sinister.

                    Mike R
                    97 Force

                  • mehlsfamily@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 16, 2008
                      Thanks to all for the thoughts on this sound in the 97 Force. I'll
                      investigate it more in the next few weeks and let you know what I find. Thanks again.
                      Bill M.