Brighter headlights

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2008
      Changed out the OEM halogen headlight bulbs in my 97 Force for
      Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's.

      This was a very noticeable improvement. Likely not as bright as a HID
      but a very significant change for the better. Instead of being a bit
      dimmer than most other cars the Force is now as bright or brighter
      than most. I would say that the examples given by Sylvania on their
      packaging in comparing the Ultra to OEM bulbs are very accurte in
      regards to my 97 Force.

      I had attributed the somewhat "whimpy" but legally adequate lighting
      on the 97 Force to the the lower than OEM operating voltage of my
      dc/dc converter (12.0 volts). Some converters from Solectria are higher.

      Some manufacturer literature also says that halogen bulbs get dimmer
      with age, will leave that one to "Myth Busters."

      I had considered for some time doing a HID conversion as this would be
      the ultimate in brightness and actually reduce the amount of wattage
      the headlights use. Local auto parts store had the Ultra's on sale so
      it being the dark days of December I injected some money into
      the economy. About $40 for the pair and really easy to
      change. HID kits start at about $200.

      Mike R
      97 Force
    • Noel Luneau
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2008
        Cool Mike,

        Aftermarket LED headlamps may be coming soon. I believe that you can
        buy replacement energy saving LED lights for almost every other
        bulb... Might be good for this time of year.

        One site is http://www.eautoworks.com/search-ALL/mk45-md1358-mc1997-
        bu3-ba64.htm

        Noel L
        97 Force

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "ldr214" <replytome@...> wrote:

        > Changed out the OEM halogen headlight bulbs in my 97 Force for
        > Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's.
        >
        > This was a very noticeable improvement. Likely not as bright as a
        HID
        > but a very significant change for the better. Instead of being a bit
        > dimmer than most other cars the Force is now as bright or brighter
        > than most. I would say that the examples given by Sylvania on their
        > packaging in comparing the Ultra to OEM bulbs are very accurte in
        > regards to my 97 Force.
        >
        > I had attributed the somewhat "whimpy" but legally adequate lighting
        > on the 97 Force to the the lower than OEM operating voltage of my
        > dc/dc converter (12.0 volts). Some converters from Solectria are
        higher.

        > Some manufacturer literature also says that halogen bulbs get dimmer
        > with age, will leave that one to "Myth Busters."
        >
        > I had considered for some time doing a HID conversion as this would
        be
        > the ultimate in brightness and actually reduce the amount of wattage
        > the headlights use. Local auto parts store had the Ultra's on sale
        so
        > it being the dark days of December I injected some money into
        > the economy. About $40 for the pair and really easy to
        > change. HID kits start at about $200.
        >
        > Mike R
        > 97 Force

      • paul doe
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2008
          I have the Sylvania also and they work well.  My understanding is that the LED conversions don't work well with some of the functions (day time running lights, high/low, etc.) and require some elaborate tweaking to get them working properly.

          Thanks,

          Paul

          wrote:

          > Changed out the OEM halogen headlight bulbs in my 97 Force for
          > Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's.
          >
          > This was a very noticeable improvement. Likely not as bright as a
          HID
          > but a very significant change for the better. Instead of being a bit
          > dimmer than most other cars the Force is now as bright or brighter
          > than most. I would say that the examples given by Sylvania on their
          > packaging in comparing the Ultra to OEM bulbs are very accurte in
          > regards to my 97 Force.
          >
          > I had attributed the somewhat "whimpy" but legally adequate
          lighting
          > on the 97 Force to the the lower than OEM operating voltage of my
          > dc/dc converter (12.0 volts). Some converters from Solectria are
          higher.

          > Some manufacturer literature also says that halogen bulbs get dimmer
          > with age, will leave that one to "Myth Busters."
          >
          > I had considered for some time doing a HID conversion as this would
          be
          > the ultimate in brightness and actually reduce the amount of wattage
          > the headlights use. Local auto parts store had the Ultra's on sale
          so
          > it being the dark days of December I injected some money into
          > the economy. About $40 for the pair and really easy to
          > change. HID kits start at about $200.
          >
          > Mike R
          > 97 Force

        • rod864
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2009
            All incandescent lamps dim with age because the tungsten vaporizes
            from the hot filament and condenses on the inside of the cooler
            envelope (bulb). In a halogen lamp a chemical reaction helps to
            redeposit some of this vapor back on the filament, which is why
            halogens last longer, but they still darken significantly long before
            they burn out. Just replacing them with new stock lamps will increase
            your light on the road.

            I've used the Sylvania lamps mentioned. I put one in and it was
            unquestionably brighter than the old lamp. When I put a conventional
            new lamp in the other side, though, I wasn't quite so sure any more.
            Your experience may differ, of course.

            If you really want more light on the road, buy some higher wattage
            capsules for your lamps. Something like 70/100 watt halogens can make
            a huge difference. Pity they're illegal. ;-)

            Here's one source - http://www.rallylights.com/

            For those who have the older Forces with sealed beam lights,
            conversion housings are available. I'm considering these for my
            Force, with 55/100 watt lamps.

            I think the stock lamps are either 45 or 55 watts, so even on low
            beam, this may add from 20 to 50 watts to the 12 volt system. I think
            the Solectria DC:DC converter will handle the extra load OK (fingers
            crossed), but I'm planning to add relays to protect the light switch
            from the higher current.