AMC320 repair

    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
      I have recieved a non-working AMC320 motor controller for repair...

      I did not have that much time to look at it over the weekend, (due to the
      holiday), So I just took off the covers and did a visual inspection of all
      the parts and checked the fuses...

      The one thing that looks a bit odd is that the microcontroller seems to be
      missing its firmware... I would expect these two sockets to be populated
      with a "Hi" and "Lo" EPROMs...

      http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/images/PB300070.jpg

      My E-10 is powered by two AMC320s and I have not opened up one of my
      controllers (well, not that part anyway), to look if these sockets are
      populated in mine.

      My AMC320 controllers are probably 2 years later in design, they have a
      one peice cover, which looks to be more difficult to get into.

      I will open one of mine up this weekend to check it out... but in the mean
      time, has anyone had there controller opened up? Did it have these sockets
      populated? I would expect two windowed ceramic EPROMs, or two plastic
      PROMs.

      I also can't seem to find my RS485 to RS232 converter, so I will have to
      make another one...

      Thanks for any help.

      Oh, all the pics taken thus far are here:
      http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320

      Its kind of scary when you look at the high power section... all the
      current for each leg of the 3 phase drive flows thru only 8 tiny MOSFET
      pins... http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/images/PB290067.jpg

      Wolf
      *wags his tail*
      www.wolftronix.com
    • george.beckman
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
        Eric,

        Could you please explain the interpolated math below. The numbers
        seem confusing to me. I would think that 20 hour rate results would
        be somewhere between the 10 hour rate and 30 hour rate.

        > > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 1:53 AM, ehsif727 <ehsif727@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > The SSW100 Silicone Batterys rating would be 109 amp hours at a 20
        > > > hour rate. 100 amp hours at 10 hours and 118 at a 30 hour rate. I
        > > > interpolated for the 20 hour rate which is the rate most
        commonly used
      • ehsif727
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
          George The rates for the SSW100 battery are 100 amps @ 10 hour
          rate, 109 amps @ 20 hour rate, and 118 amps @ 30 hour rate. I
          am given only the 10 and 30 hour rate from Greensaver so the 20 rate
          is an interpolation. I hope putting them in order helps with the math
          confusion.

          Eric Fisher
          www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "george.beckman" <gbeckman@...>
          wrote:

          > Eric,
          >
          > Could you please explain the interpolated math below. The numbers
          > seem confusing to me. I would think that 20 hour rate results would
          > be somewhere between the 10 hour rate and 30 hour rate.

          > commonly used

        • george.beckman
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 4, 2008
            Eric,

            Thanks. I had major surgery and can only say that the confusion
            was in my Vicodin warped mind. Your answer, and indeed the first
            response was clear... except in my, then, muddy head. Thanks. The
            SSW100 batteries seem like a real possibility. My batteries are in
            pretty good shape, but I like to start research early so I will have
            some idea of what to do when the time comes.

            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "ehsif727" <ehsif727@...> wrote:

            > George The rates for the SSW100 battery are 100 amps @ 10 hour
            > rate, 109 amps @ 20 hour rate, and 118 amps @ 30 hour rate. I
            > am given only the 10 and 30 hour rate from Greensaver so the 20 rate
            > is an interpolation. I hope putting them in order helps with the math
            > confusion.
          • Arthur Marquardt
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
              Wolf:
              I will try to look at my 320. In the mean time do you have part numbers for the convertor that you are building? I would like to build one as well. Also when you reprogrammed did you need to have a particular version of DOS that you used and what operating system were you using?
              Art

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 8, 2008
                This is the schematic for the cable:
                http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/amc_i_cable.jpg

                I use an old compaq laptop that still works and has a serial port on it,
                it runs windows 98SE.

                I could do a layout a circuit board for the adapter... but the cost at the
                board house I use are:

                $33.00 each, with a min order of 4 boards.

                Or

                $33.00 for a panel (panel = as many boards as you can fit into 60sq
                inches) + $50.00, with min order of 4 panels.

                So its MUCH cheaper to just bread board your own, or just solder the parts
                to a protoboard.

                Unless a bunch of people want them. :)

                Wolf
                *wags his tail*
                www.wolftornix.com

                > Wolf:
                > I will try to look at my 320. In the mean time do you have part numbers
                > for the convertor that you are building? I would like to build one as
                > well. Also when you reprogrammed did you need to have a particular version
                > of DOS that you used and what operating system were you using?
                > Art
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Bill or Dorothy Swann
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 8, 2008
                  I would be interested in a circuit board / populated. Is there an estimate of the kit cost?
                  Thanks, Bill S

                  ________________________________

                • jhmurphy100@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 9, 2008
                    As most of you know, Solectria's motor and controller operations were taken over by Azure Dynamics, and still operate out of the Woburn, MA location. We are undertaking a project using Azure's AC 55 motor and DMOC 445 controller which may be of interest to you. Take a look at www.z-type.net Thanks!

                  • Arthur Marquardt
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 9, 2008
                      Wolf:
                      I would be interested in a board with everything on it.
                      Art

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 9, 2008
                        This is the adapter I made a while ago:
                        http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/PC090075.JPG

                        It has around $20.00 in parts.

                        It took around 3 hours to make it from scratch.

                        So if a few people want them... I would rather just layout a circuit board.

                        Its much quicker to just solder on all the parts and connectors, then
                        having to form all the wires and then figure out where they need to be
                        soldered. ;)

                        Wolf
                        *wags his tail*
                        www.wolftronix.com

                      • louleedan@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 10, 2008
                          Put me down for 1, Bill B NYC

                          _http://www.wolftronhttp://www.wolhttp://wwhtt_

                          www.wolftronix.www

                          > Wolf:
                          > I would be interested in a board with everything on it.
                          > Art
                          >

                          > ____________ ____ ____

                        • Ray Darby
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 10, 2008
                            Hi Wolf -

                            I've been wanting one of these for a while too! Your labor time is obviously worth something too, so could you let us know what this would cost - with "parts, labor and shipping costs" - you can count on me to purchase one! Thanks,

                            - Ray

                            Contact info:
                            http://sustainableenergygroup.com/ContactInfo.html

                            It took around 3 hours to make it from scratch.

                            So if a few people want them... I would rather just layout a circuit board.

                            Its much quicker to just solder on all the parts and connectors, then
                            having to form all the wires and then figure out where they need to be
                            soldered. ;)

                            Wolf
                            *wags his tail*
                            www.wolftronix.com

                            > Wolf:
                            > I would be interested in a board with everything on it.
                            > Art
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Dan Wentworth
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 10, 2008
                              Perhaps it would be easier (cheaper and/or less labor) to make a cable to use something like this RS232 to RS485 converter:
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270306873866
                              or for USB only laptops:
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120347840849

                              I have not done this yet but would do so before making a complete adapter or paying North American labor rates to fabricate one.

                              regards,
                              Dan
                              1997 PbA (East Penn) Force
                              www.evalbum.com/985

                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 13, 2008
                                What I will do is layout a board for the adapter...

                                Then I will tack it onto the panel (unused space) when I send the battery
                                balancer boards off to be made. :)

                                Wolf
                                *wags his tail*
                                www.wolftronix.com

                              • umar
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 14, 2008
                                  There's a Chinese company called BYD that is using "ferrous" batteries in
                                  a plug-in hybrid it has designed. The company seems to be a battery
                                  company that is entering the car business for the first time, and that
                                  makes me especially curious about the batteries they're using, which are
                                  described as "ferrous". The article is
                                  http://www.portlandtribune.com/sustainable/story.php?
                                  story_id=122090792762233800 (sorry, this won't fit on ne line).

                                  Do any of y'all know anything about this technology? Would these batteries
                                  be a good choice for a Force?

                                  Rob Landry
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 14, 2008
                                    "ferrous" batteries are Lithium-ion batteries based on lithium iron
                                    phosphate.

                                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery

                                    Wolf
                                    *wags his tail*
                                    www.wolftronix.com

                                    > There's a Chinese company called BYD that is using "ferrous" batteries in
                                    > a plug-in hybrid it has designed. The company seems to be a battery
                                    > company that is entering the car business for the first time, and that
                                    > makes me especially curious about the batteries they're using, which are
                                    > described as "ferrous". The article is
                                    > http://www.portlandtribune.com/sustainable/story.php?
                                    > story_id=122090792762233800 (sorry, this won't fit on ne line).
                                    >
                                    > Do any of y'all know anything about this technology? Would these batteries
                                    > be a good choice for a Force?
                                    >

                                    > Rob Landry

                                  • Noel P. Luneau
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 15, 2008
                                      This looks to be a very cool project... Love the XJ-13!

                                      Noel L

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 21, 2008
                                        I have tracked the problem on the AMC320 drive down to the low voltage
                                        power supply.

                                        Specifically the power supply that feeds the LP2951 liner regulators.

                                        If anyone has a schematic for this board, let me know:
                                        http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/images/PB290058.jpg

                                        If not, then well, I guess I will have to ohm it all out and make a
                                        schematic from the board.

                                        Wolf
                                        *wags his tail*
                                        www.wolftronix.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 11, 2009
                                          The AMC 320 is fixed now. :)

                                          I tracked the problem down to a single bad diode in the key switch
                                          isolation circuit on the power supply board:
                                          http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/images/IMG_7298.jpg

                                          I replaced it with a new one:
                                          http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/images/IMG_7301.jpg

                                          All the pics are here:
                                          http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320

                                          The pics are out of order because I baught a new camera for my self for
                                          Christmas. :)

                                          Here is a video of the controller working:
                                          http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/video

                                          Wolf
                                          *wags his tail*
                                          www.wolftronix.com