Re: Silicone Batteries @ 6,500 miles

  • ehsif727
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 30, 2008
      Mike, The SSW100 battery price is 219 dollars. The first to order a
      set for a Force I will sell at cost, a 10 to 20% savings.

      Eric Fisher
      www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Mike <mikesus@...> wrote:

      > what kind of pricing?
      >
      > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 1:53 AM, ehsif727 <ehsif727@...> wrote:
      >
      > > The SSW100 Silicone Batterys rating would be 109 amp hours at a 20
      > > hour rate. 100 amp hours at 10 hours and 118 at a 30 hour rate. I
      > > interpolated for the 20 hour rate which is the rate most commonly used
      > > for lead acid batteries.
      > >

      > > Eric Fisher
      > > www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com
      > >
      > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com
      <solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>, Mike
      > > <mikesus@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > What is the rating on the SSW100?

      There are
      These are a

      <solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com><solectria_ev%
      > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

      Deka? My car

      <solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > <solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>,

      Batteries. I
      I was

      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
        I have recieved a non-working AMC320 motor controller for repair...

        I did not have that much time to look at it over the weekend, (due to the
        holiday), So I just took off the covers and did a visual inspection of all
        the parts and checked the fuses...

        The one thing that looks a bit odd is that the microcontroller seems to be
        missing its firmware... I would expect these two sockets to be populated
        with a "Hi" and "Lo" EPROMs...

        http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/images/PB300070.jpg

        My E-10 is powered by two AMC320s and I have not opened up one of my
        controllers (well, not that part anyway), to look if these sockets are
        populated in mine.

        My AMC320 controllers are probably 2 years later in design, they have a
        one peice cover, which looks to be more difficult to get into.

        I will open one of mine up this weekend to check it out... but in the mean
        time, has anyone had there controller opened up? Did it have these sockets
        populated? I would expect two windowed ceramic EPROMs, or two plastic
        PROMs.

        I also can't seem to find my RS485 to RS232 converter, so I will have to
        make another one...

        Thanks for any help.

        Oh, all the pics taken thus far are here:
        http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320

        Its kind of scary when you look at the high power section... all the
        current for each leg of the 3 phase drive flows thru only 8 tiny MOSFET
        pins... http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/images/PB290067.jpg

        Wolf
        *wags his tail*
        www.wolftronix.com
      • george.beckman
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 1, 2008
          Eric,

          Could you please explain the interpolated math below. The numbers
          seem confusing to me. I would think that 20 hour rate results would
          be somewhere between the 10 hour rate and 30 hour rate.

          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 2, 2008
            George The rates for the SSW100 battery are 100 amps @ 10 hour
            rate, 109 amps @ 20 hour rate, and 118 amps @ 30 hour rate. I
            am given only the 10 and 30 hour rate from Greensaver so the 20 rate
            is an interpolation. I hope putting them in order helps with the math
            confusion.

            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "george.beckman" <gbeckman@...>
            wrote:

            > Eric,
            >
            > Could you please explain the interpolated math below. The numbers
            > seem confusing to me. I would think that 20 hour rate results would
            > be somewhere between the 10 hour rate and 30 hour rate.

            > commonly used

          • george.beckman
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 4, 2008
              Eric,

              Thanks. I had major surgery and can only say that the confusion
              was in my Vicodin warped mind. Your answer, and indeed the first
              response was clear... except in my, then, muddy head. Thanks. The
              SSW100 batteries seem like a real possibility. My batteries are in
              pretty good shape, but I like to start research early so I will have
              some idea of what to do when the time comes.

              --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "ehsif727" <ehsif727@...> wrote:

              > George The rates for the SSW100 battery are 100 amps @ 10 hour
              > rate, 109 amps @ 20 hour rate, and 118 amps @ 30 hour rate. I
              > am given only the 10 and 30 hour rate from Greensaver so the 20 rate
              > is an interpolation. I hope putting them in order helps with the math
              > confusion.
            • Arthur Marquardt
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 6, 2008
                Wolf:
                I will try to look at my 320. In the mean time do you have part numbers for the convertor that you are building? I would like to build one as well. Also when you reprogrammed did you need to have a particular version of DOS that you used and what operating system were you using?
                Art

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 8, 2008
                  This is the schematic for the cable:
                  http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/amc_i_cable.jpg

                  I use an old compaq laptop that still works and has a serial port on it,
                  it runs windows 98SE.

                  I could do a layout a circuit board for the adapter... but the cost at the
                  board house I use are:

                  $33.00 each, with a min order of 4 boards.

                  Or

                  $33.00 for a panel (panel = as many boards as you can fit into 60sq
                  inches) + $50.00, with min order of 4 panels.

                  So its MUCH cheaper to just bread board your own, or just solder the parts
                  to a protoboard.

                  Unless a bunch of people want them. :)

                  Wolf
                  *wags his tail*
                  www.wolftornix.com

                  > Wolf:
                  > I will try to look at my 320. In the mean time do you have part numbers
                  > for the convertor that you are building? I would like to build one as
                  > well. Also when you reprogrammed did you need to have a particular version
                  > of DOS that you used and what operating system were you using?
                  > Art
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Bill or Dorothy Swann
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 8, 2008
                    I would be interested in a circuit board / populated. Is there an estimate of the kit cost?
                    Thanks, Bill S

                    ________________________________

                  • jhmurphy100@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 9, 2008
                      As most of you know, Solectria's motor and controller operations were taken over by Azure Dynamics, and still operate out of the Woburn, MA location. We are undertaking a project using Azure's AC 55 motor and DMOC 445 controller which may be of interest to you. Take a look at www.z-type.net Thanks!

                    • Arthur Marquardt
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 9, 2008
                        Wolf:
                        I would be interested in a board with everything on it.
                        Art

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 9, 2008
                          This is the adapter I made a while ago:
                          http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/PC090075.JPG

                          It has around $20.00 in parts.

                          It took around 3 hours to make it from scratch.

                          So if a few people want them... I would rather just layout a circuit board.

                          Its much quicker to just solder on all the parts and connectors, then
                          having to form all the wires and then figure out where they need to be
                          soldered. ;)

                          Wolf
                          *wags his tail*
                          www.wolftronix.com

                        • louleedan@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 10, 2008
                            Put me down for 1, Bill B NYC

                            _http://www.wolftronhttp://www.wolhttp://wwhtt_

                            www.wolftronix.www

                            > Wolf:
                            > I would be interested in a board with everything on it.
                            > Art
                            >

                            > ____________ ____ ____

                          • Ray Darby
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 10, 2008
                              Hi Wolf -

                              I've been wanting one of these for a while too! Your labor time is obviously worth something too, so could you let us know what this would cost - with "parts, labor and shipping costs" - you can count on me to purchase one! Thanks,

                              - Ray

                              Contact info:
                              http://sustainableenergygroup.com/ContactInfo.html

                              It took around 3 hours to make it from scratch.

                              So if a few people want them... I would rather just layout a circuit board.

                              Its much quicker to just solder on all the parts and connectors, then
                              having to form all the wires and then figure out where they need to be
                              soldered. ;)

                              Wolf
                              *wags his tail*
                              www.wolftronix.com

                              > Wolf:
                              > I would be interested in a board with everything on it.
                              > Art
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Dan Wentworth
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 10, 2008
                                Perhaps it would be easier (cheaper and/or less labor) to make a cable to use something like this RS232 to RS485 converter:
                                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270306873866
                                or for USB only laptops:
                                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120347840849

                                I have not done this yet but would do so before making a complete adapter or paying North American labor rates to fabricate one.

                                regards,
                                Dan
                                1997 PbA (East Penn) Force
                                www.evalbum.com/985

                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 13, 2008
                                  What I will do is layout a board for the adapter...

                                  Then I will tack it onto the panel (unused space) when I send the battery
                                  balancer boards off to be made. :)

                                  Wolf
                                  *wags his tail*
                                  www.wolftronix.com

                                • umar
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 14, 2008
                                    There's a Chinese company called BYD that is using "ferrous" batteries in
                                    a plug-in hybrid it has designed. The company seems to be a battery
                                    company that is entering the car business for the first time, and that
                                    makes me especially curious about the batteries they're using, which are
                                    described as "ferrous". The article is
                                    http://www.portlandtribune.com/sustainable/story.php?
                                    story_id=122090792762233800 (sorry, this won't fit on ne line).

                                    Do any of y'all know anything about this technology? Would these batteries
                                    be a good choice for a Force?

                                    Rob Landry
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 14, 2008
                                      "ferrous" batteries are Lithium-ion batteries based on lithium iron
                                      phosphate.

                                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery

                                      Wolf
                                      *wags his tail*
                                      www.wolftronix.com

                                      > There's a Chinese company called BYD that is using "ferrous" batteries in
                                      > a plug-in hybrid it has designed. The company seems to be a battery
                                      > company that is entering the car business for the first time, and that
                                      > makes me especially curious about the batteries they're using, which are
                                      > described as "ferrous". The article is
                                      > http://www.portlandtribune.com/sustainable/story.php?
                                      > story_id=122090792762233800 (sorry, this won't fit on ne line).
                                      >
                                      > Do any of y'all know anything about this technology? Would these batteries
                                      > be a good choice for a Force?
                                      >

                                      > Rob Landry

                                    • Noel P. Luneau
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 15, 2008
                                        This looks to be a very cool project... Love the XJ-13!

                                        Noel L

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 21, 2008
                                          I have tracked the problem on the AMC320 drive down to the low voltage
                                          power supply.

                                          Specifically the power supply that feeds the LP2951 liner regulators.

                                          If anyone has a schematic for this board, let me know:
                                          http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/images/PB290058.jpg

                                          If not, then well, I guess I will have to ohm it all out and make a
                                          schematic from the board.

                                          Wolf
                                          *wags his tail*
                                          www.wolftronix.com
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 11, 2009
                                            The AMC 320 is fixed now. :)

                                            I tracked the problem down to a single bad diode in the key switch
                                            isolation circuit on the power supply board:
                                            http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/images/IMG_7298.jpg

                                            I replaced it with a new one:
                                            http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/images/IMG_7301.jpg

                                            All the pics are here:
                                            http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320

                                            The pics are out of order because I baught a new camera for my self for
                                            Christmas. :)

                                            Here is a video of the controller working:
                                            http://www.wolftronix.com/amc320/video

                                            Wolf
                                            *wags his tail*
                                            www.wolftronix.com