Re: [solectria_ev] Vacuum pump stays on

  • Ken Olum
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
      Indeed, lubrication seems to be the cure for vacuum pump switch
      problems. I put in a new switch (an Airlogic V-5100-28-PT-25A that I
      got from Minuteman controls) and sprayed it (probably I used WD-40)
      several months ago and it has worked perfectly since then. I sprayed
      both the place where the vacuum goes in (so to speak) and the deep
      slot in the body where the vacuum part couples to the switch part.

      Ken
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
        Joshua,
        When I bought my car 4 years ago the vacuum pump ran all the time. I
        thought that it was a pretty poor design until I was educated by the
        Forum and Gordon.

        I removed the pump and cleaned the switch as recommended by Gordon and
        haven't done a thing to it since and it works fine. I believe that has
        been the case with a number of owners.

        The switch likely has a sticky lube from the manufacturer. WD-40 or a
        similiar product seems to work better. WD is a great parts cleaner and
        usually doesn't over lube.

        It is also possible that you could have a vacuum leak so if you have
        the gauges you could check for excessive bleed down. But most likely
        it is the switch.

        Mike
        97 Force

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Goldstein" <jg@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > First I want to apologize for my post about the list yesterday. The
        > important thing is how great it is to have this list, and it's
        better to
        > have too much chatter than too little. Sorry!
        > My question is about the electric vacuum pump (power brakes)
        that seems

      • bradfix@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
          Joshua, I recommend using a product called LPS #1 Runs about $10 a can.?This is a far?better
          greaseless lubricant for switches. Will also mix with the old grease and make everything work much better.

          Brad