RE: [force_ev] Batteries (was: Force Valuation, et. al.)

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22, 2002
      > I tried group 24 East Penn Deka Dominators (these are gel batteries, as
      > recommended by Solectria, not AGM type) in my '91 Force, and it
      > struggled to
      > get over 30 miles of range. This figures, because their capacity
      > at 75 amps
      > is only 33 amp hours. Group 24 is really too small for a Force.

      FYI, we have group 24 Deka Dominators in our E-10, and were lucky to get
      35Ah out of them when they were new. They're coming up on two years old now
      and I'm seeing a voltage drop at fairly low Ah consumption. I picked up a
      battery load tester and will probably do a detailed battery evaluation this
      summer.

      I have a sneaking suspicion that the charger in the E-10 is using too high a
      finish voltage, even though I've never messed with it -- The truck
      originally had three strings of 12 batteries in it (Hawkers, I think) but
      was later changed to two strings of group 24's and I wonder if they ever
      reprogrammed the charger for the different batteries. The reason I'm
      wondering is because I remember looking at the batter charger output when I
      first got the truck and I noticed what I thought was a pretty high finish
      voltage.

      David, do you know if the Hawkers had a higher finish voltage than the
      Dekas/Sonnenscheins?

      If it's too high, I suspect the charger could be doing some damage.

      -Tom
    • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22, 2002
        On 22 Mar 2002 at 16:45, Tom Hudson wrote:

        > David, do you know if the Hawkers had a higher finish voltage than the
        > Dekas/Sonnenscheins?
        >
        > If it's too high, I suspect the charger could be doing some damage.

        Yikes! Yes, much higher, about 14.8 to 15.0 volts per module. That's way
        too high for the Dominators, which should finish at about 14.3, tops. The
        Hawkers have a very different chemistry.

        My car came with a charger programmed for Hawkers. When I was using the
        Dominators, I charged with it once. I came out to the garage late in the
        charge cycle, and heard several batteries venting (whistling). I never used
        that charger again.

        Venting is bad news. Not only does it indicate a strenuous overcharge, it
        also means that your batteries are also losing irreplaceable water. In this
        case, the high finish voltage meant a high finish current; the batteries
        were gassing strongly. They had to vent to release pressure, because their
        (relatively feeble) recombination catalyst couldn't begin keep up.

        David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
        1991 Solectria Force 144vac
        1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
        1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
        1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
        Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
        thou knowest." Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.