Re: Roll Resistance Tires

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 1, 2008
      If you want to part with the rims, I would be interested.

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Doug Brentlinger <dougb120@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi fro Doug
      > Its important to remember that when you go to smaller rims and tires
      that part of the increase will be caused by the fact that the wheels
      spin faster and thus the odometer is going faster as well.� In my
      Metro example, with the switch from 14" to 13" rims, I expected a
      slight increase and estimated about 3 or 4 mpg, the swith to 12" would
      also probably give a similar increase.
      > doug

      tires for 12" rims. I found that the ride was better, it looks
      better�and the mileage did�get a little better too. So now I have a
      set of 12" rims.
      > Bouty
      > 2000 Ranger EV
      > 1992 Solectris Force

    • Charles Bliss
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 1, 2008
        I have a full set of four 12" with the original tires that I would be happy
        to part with. The rubber is cracked a bit on two of the tires.

        If you want to part with the rims, I would be interested.

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com <mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>
        , Doug Brentlinger <dougb120@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi fro Doug
        > Its important to remember that when you go to smaller rims and tires
        that part of the increase will be caused by the fact that the wheels
        spin faster and thus the odometer is going faster as well.� In my
        Metro example, with the switch from 14" to 13" rims, I expected a
        slight increase and estimated about 3 or 4 mpg, the swith to 12" would
        also probably give a similar increase.
        > doug

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
          Where are you located? I think Mr Baldridge is actually not far from
          me and that is who I thought had the extra set.

          I am in NC. 27405.

          When I got my 93 I found that they put winter rated tires in the
          front. I would like to get a 2 more 12" rims and put regular radials
          on it to lower the drag even more during the summer when they aren't
          needed (not that they are needed much here in NC anyway)

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
            In California, near San Jose.

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
              Ouch, shipping would kill me! AT that point would probably be better to
              swap rims to 13"

              What 13" rims will fit? Anyone know?

              On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Charles Bliss <cbliss@...> wrote:

              > In California, near San Jose.

              -Mike

            • d. Bouton Baldridge
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
                Sorry, I was out of the loop, I am in Wilmington, NC and my set also has good rubber on them but because they had not been rotated properly they are noisey.
                Bouty
                910 617 8849

                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
                  IF you are willing to part with em, let me know off line and how much.

                  mikesus at

                  gmail

                  dot

                  com
                • Charles Bliss
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
                    I bought my set off craigslist. I think they came off of a Toyota Tercel.
                    I know there are a number of different 13" rims with the correct bolt
                    pattern but you will find that all have slightly larger holes. Measure the
                    hole pattern, mine is a 4.5" bolt circle. The studs are 10mm on the Metro
                    which is smaller than other cars. There are some 10mm lug nuts made for
                    ATVs that have larger flanges and can be used to make up the difference in
                    the hole size on the rims.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 6, 2009
                      Does anyone have a copy of the pdf on the Greenseal tire rolling resistance?

                      If so, would you please share?

                      The link below does not have it any more.

                      Thanks,

                      Don Buckshot
                      '96 Force

                      Noel P. Luneau wrote:

                      > Hi Eric,
                      >
                      > This is my tire selection post on the Sumitomo HTR 200, in 2005.
                      >
                      > For anybody interested in better gas mileage (Not that my Metro uses
                      > gas), Low Rolling resistance tires can increase gas mileage up to 5 mpg.
                      > There is a good article from GreenSeal here:
                      > http://www.greenseal.org/recommendations/CGR_tire_rollingresistance.pdf
                      > <http://www.greenseal.org/recommendations/CGR_tire_rollingresistance.pdf>
                      >
                      > I just put on inexpensive Sumitomo HTR 200 tires in 175/70HR-13's. Big
                      > improvement in handling, especially in turns, over my previous M+S
                      > tires. They are also quite reasonably priced and score well in
                      > TireRack.com reader surveys:
                      >
                      > http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+
                      > <http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+>
                      > 200
                      >
                      > I also put on some aluminum fully enclosed hub caps on to reduce drag.
                      >
                      > Noel L
                      >
                      > From: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com

                    • packratdaddy
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 6, 2009