Help please - new batteries and terrible performance

  • crxpilot
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 11, 2008
      97 Force

      I just put in 13 brand new Deka 8g27's because the car had gotten to
      the point I couldnt go down to the corner street due to range and
      performance.
      So imagine my big disappointment when I installed the batteries and
      took it for a test drive that I had the following performance:
      Normal mode (forget econ - it was worse) gave me 20-22 mph tops and
      after 15.3 AH I only had gone 3.3 miles!
      I dont even know where to begin???????
      My only suspicion is a possible hindrance with the brakes? They make
      a "hot" popping noise in the front wheels after the 3 mile drive and
      tend to creak when first moving the car. Would this be enough to
      trash my range and performance?
      Could there be other issues with the controller or motor?

      Any suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated!

      steve
    • Jim Coate
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 11, 2008
        Bummer!

        If you park it in on a level paved surface (e-brake off), can you roll
        it along easily by hand? For a slightly more detailed check of sticky
        brakes, jack up each corner and see if the wheel turns easily by hand.
        When I got my '97, which had seen little use in the proceeding months, I
        was surprised by how rusted the rotars were. New brakes were a good thing.

        As a double check on the battery installation, take your meter and clip
        the black to the most negative battery post in your pack and move the
        red lead along one battery at a time; each battery should add ~12 volts
        to the running total. Just in case a battery got put in backwards.
        Dumber things have happened (ask me how I know :-)

        --
        Jim Coate, Spencertown, New York

        NOTE: Mail sent to the "NO_REPLY" address will *not* reach me.
        To send me a private message, please follow the directions here:
        http://www.coate.org/contact_jim/

        1997 Solectria Force, 1970's Elec-Traks
        http://www.eeevee.com
      • Will Beckett (PCSolutions)
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 11, 2008
          It is possible you have one bad battery in the batch that is shorting out.
          Turn on the heater and check your voltages.

          - Will
          Aptos, CA 95003
          (831) 688-8669

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 11, 2008
            Ah-ha... the presence of rust by itself may not be a good measure as
            some rust is normal at least in some locations, but severe RUST in
            certain areas would be a bad sign. And some things like a stuck caliper
            would have no visible signs.

            However, the fact that you can't turn the wheels ts very telling.
            Although the wheels won't coast forever, they should turn pretty easily
            by hand. Good luck with the brake job.

            --
            Jim Coate, Spencertown, New York

            NOTE: Mail sent to the "NO_REPLY" address will *not* reach me.
            To send me a private message, please follow the directions here:
            http://www.coate.org/contact_jim/

            1997 Solectria Force, 1970's Elec-Traks
            http://www.eeevee.com
            http://www.ElectricTractorStore.com
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 20, 2008
              Curious, what did the brake job run? I think my front rotors are
              warped (due to overheating cuz regen was turned off)
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 20, 2008
                Me and a friend of mine went over to a Jiffy Lube and asked for a full
                service oil change...

                It was worth the strange looks when they popped the hood. :D

                Wolf
                *wags his tail*
                www.wolftronix.com

                > New calipers and pads for both wheels cost me $340 at Firestone. I am
                > sure it could be done much cheaper if you know how to do it yourself.
                > I am not one of them!
                > It was funny though, when I brought it in. The service advisor was
                > taking down some information and when I mentioned the car was an
                > electric conversion and I was showing him the precautions about
                > lifting and battery boxes, the manager overheard us and got all in a
                > tizzy and started claiming they were not qualified to work on electric
                > vehicles. It took about 5 times over from me and the service guy
                > telling her that the brake job had nothing to do with the "electric"
                > portion of the car and that they could work on it.
                >
                > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mikesus@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Curious, what did the brake job run? I think my front rotors are
                >> warped (due to overheating cuz regen was turned off)

              • EVdave
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 20, 2008
                  i keep wanting to do that, my wife wont let me..... :( i want to go to
                  the local gas station to and say filler up.....

                  db

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
                    I am surprised that they didn't replace the rotors also.

                    I just went through that with my 93. Getting the Rotors off is a real
                    pain, you need a slide hammer because you have to pull the hub off to
                    get to the rotor. Then to get it all back together, it really helps
                    to drop the "knuckle" so you can keep the spacer between the bearings
                    lined up...