[force_ev] 220 vs 110

  • Leonard Tramiel
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2002
      Is there any long term damage done to the batteries if a Force is charged
      only via the 110 adaptor. My garage has no 220 service and it is detached
      from the house a putting in new service involves trenching through garden,
      lawn and even at least one path.

      Does anyone know the actual current drawn by a recharging Force when using
      220? It might be possible to use the existing service but it would 20 amp
      for the 110 and 220 combined. I don't want to trip the breaker when the
      garage door opens while the car is charging.

      Thanks for any info,
      Leonard
    • Belden, Peter
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2002
        I asked Solectria about this at one point and they said they didn't really
        have conclusive information on it other than saying that the batteries
        "prefer" 220. Probably worth asking them again. However, my force had
        about two years of 220 but got about 3 months of 110 only during one summer.
        Now it's had another 2 months of 110 only. Seems to be doing fine. I have
        13,000 miles on it with lead acids and the range has dropped only a bit from
        >55 to <40. I've also abused my batteries by deeply discharging them every
        day for about two years Mon-Friday driving 40 miles round trip to work,
        having the car sit unplugged for 9 hours while at work, and then only
        charging at night. Fortunately that commute is now over.

        My one page sheet from solectria on charging said the car draws 15 or 16amps
        when using 220, I think...

        Peter

        Is there any long term damage done to the batteries if a Force is charged
        only via the 110 adaptor. My garage has no 220 service and it is detached
        from the house a putting in new service involves trenching through garden,
        lawn and even at least one path.

        Does anyone know the actual current drawn by a recharging Force when using
        220? It might be possible to use the existing service but it would 20 amp
        for the 110 and 220 combined. I don't want to trip the breaker when the
        garage door opens while the car is charging.

        Thanks for any info,
        Leonard

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050832
        69:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=1016042467%
        3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705083269:HM/A=847665/R=1>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=1705083269:HM/A=847665/rand=966723088>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 14, 2002
          On 13 Mar 2002 at 10:00, Leonard Tramiel wrote:

          > Is there any long term damage done to the batteries if a Force is charged
          > only via the 110 adaptor.

          There were some problems with the Hawker Genesis batteries losing
          capacity when charged at low rates. Others aren't so fussy (and that's one
          reason Solectria stopped using Hawkers).

          Though all lead batteries can benefit from ~carefully controlled~ high current
          bulk-phase charging, low current charging generally won't do any real harm
          with the gel or flooded batteries normally used in Forces. (In fact there are
          some who say it's better.)

          The only harm I can think of might be a result of not allowing enough time for
          charging, with the resultant long-term undercharging. You'll need 12 hours
          or more to bring up an 80% drained pack using 115 volt input.

          > Does anyone know the actual current drawn by a recharging Force when using
          > 220?

          Do you have the Brusa-manufactured 3+ kilowatt charger (a square black
          box, not a flat, oblong box)? I think I remember that it draws about 8 amps
          on 115 volts.

          David Roden
          Akron OH USA