Roll Resistance Tires

  • ehsif727
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 17, 2008
      I will be needing to get new tires for my Force Selectria in the next
      two weeks. I bought some Doral tires at Goodyear last week to replace
      the original Goodyear tires that were on the car. The original
      Goodyear tire was not available so I put on the only tire they had in
      stock the Doral. Normally it takes about 76 amp hour to get home on
      the old goodyear tires but with the Doral tires it took 82 amp hours
      to get home. I tryed it again and the next time it took 83 amp hours so I
      changed them out with my gas power Geo metro. This set of tires are
      worn out so I will have to replace them very soon. The trip home with
      the worn out tires was 77 amp hours.
      I am looking now to buy some tires that are low roll resistance tires
      but can not find any reliable information. If any body know what tires
      I should get please let me know. I am currently looking at buying a
      Toyo Tourevo or a Kumho Spectrom.

      Eric Fisher
      www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com
    • Stephen Taylor

        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 17, 2008
          Hi from Doug,
          I don't usually reply to Solectria because I don't own one, my EV is a converted Dodge Rampage.  However, tires are universal...
          Consumers Reports rates tires for rolling resistance.  The November 06 has all season tires and the November 07 Ultra High Performance tires.  I don't think UHP suits a Solectria Force!
          The H rated low rolling resistance tires:
          Dunlop SP Sport 5000   $81
          Michelin Energy MX4 Plus  $103
          Continental ContiPremier Contact $91

          Older worn tires have lower rolling resistance because of less tread squirm.

          doug
          510-304-5001

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 17, 2008
            I replaced the original tires on my Force with a set of Toyo
            Spectrum. Running them at 44lbs, I get about the same efficiency as
            with the old tires, but the handling of the Toyos is far superior!

            --Gordon Stallings--

            On Sep 17, 2008, at 5:07 PM, ehsif727 wrote:

            > I will be needing to get new tires for my Force Selectria in the
            > next
            > two weeks. I bought some Doral tires at Goodyear last week to replace
            > the original Goodyear tires that were on the car. The original
            > Goodyear tire was not available so I put on the only tire they had in
            > stock the Doral. Normally it takes about 76 amp hour to get home on
            > the old goodyear tires but with the Doral tires it took 82 amp hours
            > to get home. I tryed it again and the next time it took 83 amp
            > hours so I
            > changed them out with my gas power Geo metro. This set of tires are
            > worn out so I will have to replace them very soon. The trip home with
            > the worn out tires was 77 amp hours.
            > I am looking now to buy some tires that are low roll resistance
            > tires
            > but can not find any reliable information. If any body know what
            > tires
            > I should get please let me know. I am currently looking at buying a
            > Toyo Tourevo or a Kumho Spectrom.
            >

            > Eric Fisher
            > www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com

          • Tom Hudson
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 17, 2008
              I put a set of Nokian NRT2 tires on my Force a few years ago, not sure
              if they're still being made or not.

              -Tom
            • Kenneth Martin
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 17, 2008
                Hi Eric,

                I did a lot of research on this subject. Eventually I decided on
                Sumitomo HTR 200 series 175/70 R13. These tires can be inflated to 51
                psi and are high performance summer tires. There was a tremendous
                improvement in handling and my mileage at least matched the original
                Goodyears. The low rolling resistance Nokian tires were no longer
                available, but I didn't care after installing the Sumitomos. My
                original report is posted a couple years ago. Tires are wearing
                extremely well and are currently priced at $41 each at Tire Rack.

                http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+200

                Ken Martin

                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 17, 2008
                  I want to thank every body for you help. I have contacted the local
                  tire dealers and have found that there is a limit to the tires
                  available in the 155 80r13 size tires but I found a dealer that could
                  get me the Toyo Tourevo tires in that size. I also found some
                  Michelin Harmony tires. They are the 175 70r13 size. I am leading
                  toward the Michelin tires just so we can see if consumer reports is
                  correct in rating this tire as on of the lowest roll resistance tire
                  on the market. I am concerned if the wider size tire might have more
                  air drag. Has anybody got any Michelin tires on their Force.

                  Eric Fisher
                  www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com,
                  "ehsif727" <ehsif727@...> wrote:

                  > I will be needing to get new tires for my Force Selectria in the next
                  > two weeks. I bought some Doral tires at Goodyear last week to replace
                  > the original Goodyear tires that were on the car. The original
                  > Goodyear tire was not available so I put on the only tire they had in
                  > stock the Doral. Normally it takes about 76 amp hour to get home on
                  > the old goodyear tires but with the Doral tires it took 82 amp hours
                  > to get home. I tryed it again and the next time it took 83 amp
                  hours so I
                  > changed them out with my gas power Geo metro. This set of tires are
                  > worn out so I will have to replace them very soon. The trip home with
                  > the worn out tires was 77 amp hours.
                  > I am looking now to buy some tires that are low roll resistance tires
                  > but can not find any reliable information. If any body know what tires
                  > I should get please let me know. I am currently looking at buying a
                  > Toyo Tourevo or a Kumho Spectrom.
                  >

                  > Eric Fisher
                  > www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com

                • d. Bouton Baldridge
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 18, 2008
                    I also used the Sumitomos on my Solectria and my Insight and while the performance on the Insight was dissappointing initially they seem to have been broken in and are as good as the originals but even better in the rain.

                    Bouty Baldridge
                    1992 Force
                    2003 Insight

                    I did a lot of research on this subject. Eventually I decided on
                    Sumitomo HTR 200 series 175/70 R13. These tires can be inflated to 51
                    psi and are high performance summer tires. There was a tremendous
                    improvement in handling and my mileage at least matched the original
                    Goodyears. The low rolling resistance Nokian tires were no longer
                    available, but I didn't care after installing the Sumitomos. My
                    original report is posted a couple years ago. Tires are wearing
                    extremely well and are currently priced at $41 each at Tire Rack.

                    http://www.tirerack .com/tires/ tires.jsp? tireMake= Sumitomo& tireModel= HTR+200

                    Ken Martin

                    On Sep 17, 2008, at 3:07 PM, ehsif727 wrote:

                    > I will be needing to get new tires for my Force Selectria in the next
                    > two weeks. I bought some Doral tires at Goodyear last week to replace
                    > the original Goodyear tires that were on the car. The original
                    > Goodyear tire was not available so I put on the only tire they had in
                    > stock the Doral. Normally it takes about 76 amp hour to get home on
                    > the old goodyear tires but with the Doral tires it took 82 amp hours
                    > to get home. I tryed it again and the next time it took 83 amp hours
                    > so I
                    > changed them out with my gas power Geo metro. This set of tires are
                    > worn out so I will have to replace them very soon. The trip home with
                    > the worn out tires was 77 amp hours.
                    > I am looking now to buy some tires that are low roll resistance tires
                    > but can not find any reliable information. If any body know what tires
                    > I should get please let me know. I am currently looking at buying a
                    > Toyo Tourevo or a Kumho Spectrom.
                    >
                    > Eric Fisher
                    > www.SiliconeBatteri esUSA.com

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 18, 2008
                      I have 2 Hybrids and both came with LRR Tires. I ended up replacing
                      the tires on the Mariner as the OEM tires were wearing poorly and made
                      a LOT of road noise. I went with a different tire that handles better
                      in Rain/Snow and saw a 10% hit in mileage. I was able to mitigate
                      that by inflating to 40lbs.

                      The less "Sticky" the tire, the better the rolling resistance. So the
                      Harder rubber tires seem to do better for resistance, BUT the downside
                      is handling and noise.

                      -Mike

                      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "d. Bouton Baldridge"
                      <cfrkeepr@...> wrote:

                      > I also used the Sumitomos on my Solectria and my Insight and while
                      the performance on the Insight was dissappointing initially they seem
                      to have been broken in and are as good as the originals but even
                      better in the rain.
                      > �
                      > Bouty Baldridge
                      > 1992 Force
                      > 2003 Insight

                    • Noel P. Luneau
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 6, 2008
                        Hi Eric,

                        This is my tire selection post on the Sumitomo HTR 200, in 2005.

                        For anybody interested in better gas mileage (Not that my Metro uses
                        gas), Low Rolling resistance tires can increase gas mileage up to 5 mpg.
                        There is a good article from GreenSeal here:
                        http://www.greenseal.org/recommendations/CGR_tire_rollingresistance.pdf

                        I just put on inexpensive Sumitomo HTR 200 tires in 175/70HR-13's. Big
                        improvement in handling, especially in turns, over my previous M+S
                        tires. They are also quite reasonably priced and score well in
                        TireRack.com reader surveys:

                        http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+
                        200

                        I also put on some aluminum fully enclosed hub caps on to reduce drag.

                        Noel L

                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 17, 2008
                          I did get some tires for my 1996 Force. I got the Michelin X tires
                          from Costco. They were listed some place as a low roll resistance
                          tires. They only came in the larger 175-70R13. So far they are about
                          2% worse then the original Good Year tires. I wanted the Toyo
                          Spectrom tires but was not able to find any. I was told they were on a
                          long back order. It now takes about 80 amp hours to get home compared
                          with about 78 amp hours with the original Good Year tires. I also had some
                          Doral tires that I got from a Good Year tire store which used 83 amp
                          hour to get me home I put them on my gas powered Geo. I might try to
                          get another set of tire when the results of the tire testing that
                          California is doing are available. I think I would have got the
                          Sumitono HTR 200 tires as Noel suggested if I had the choose to do it
                          over again.

                          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Noel P. Luneau"
                          <nluneau@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Eric,
                          >
                          > This is my tire selection post on the Sumitomo HTR 200, in 2005.
                          >
                          > For anybody interested in better gas mileage (Not that my Metro uses
                          > gas), Low Rolling resistance tires can increase gas mileage up to 5 mpg.
                          > There is a good article from GreenSeal here:
                          > http://www.greenseal.org/recommendations/CGR_tire_rollingresistance.pdf
                          >
                          > I just put on inexpensive Sumitomo HTR 200 tires in 175/70HR-13's. Big
                          > improvement in handling, especially in turns, over my previous M+S
                          > tires. They are also quite reasonably priced and score well in
                          > TireRack.com reader surveys:
                          >
                          > http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+
                          > 200
                          >

                          > I also put on some aluminum fully enclosed hub caps on to reduce drag.
                          >
                          > Noel L

                        • Kent Secor
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 18, 2008
                            Has anyone tried using different wheels allowing smaller less  rolling resistance tires?

                            Kent Secor,
                            In Cape Coral, FL

                          • Doug Brentlinger
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 20, 2008
                              Hi from Doug,
                              I have a gas 92 Metro convertible.  I bought it with 14" rims and low profile tires.  Gas mileage with those tires was in the about 40 mpg.  I bought a used set of 13" Metro rims and tires and mileage went up to about 47 mpg.  I would have expected an increase to about 43 because of the smaller tire diameter, the narrow tire and lower rolling resistance gme me about 4 mpg improvement.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 20, 2008
                                On my '92' I went the other direction because I could not find LRR tires for 12" rims. I found that the ride was better, it looks better and the mileage did get a little better too. So now I have a set of 12" rims.
                                Bouty
                                2000 Ranger EV
                                1992 Solectris Force

                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 20, 2008
                                  Doug
                                  Can you tell me the brand of tire and size used on the 13 inch rims
                                  you used on your 92 metro.

                                  --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Doug Brentlinger <dougb120@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Hi from Doug,
                                  > I have a gas 92 Metro convertible.  I bought it with 14" rims
                                  and low profile tires.  Gas mileage with those tires was in the about
                                  40 mpg.  I bought a used set of 13" Metro rims and tires and mileage
                                  went up to about 47 mpg.  I would have expected an increase to about
                                  43 because of the smaller tire diameter, the narrow tire and lower
                                  rolling resistance gme me about 4 mpg improvement.

                                • Doug Brentlinger
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 21, 2008
                                    The front tires were 155/65 13 Sumitomo and the rear were 165/70 13 Sumitomo.  Both were badly worn and very old, creating the lowest rolling resistance.  My new ones are Kumho Solus K21 175/70 13 and have greater drag.  My car rolled out of my driveway with the old tires and had enough energy to roll into the street, I didn't need to use reverse.  These new tires go much slower and don't go out into the street, I have to use reverse to get out far enough to complete my turn.
                                    These tires would decrease the range of an ev.  I haven't done a mileage check yet, but will report back when I get the first tank of gas burned.
                                    doug
                                    510-304-5001

                                    wrote:

                                    > Hi from Doug,
                                    > I have a gas 92 Metro convertible.  I bought it with 14" rims
                                    and low profile tires.  Gas mileage with those tires was in the about
                                    40 mpg.  I bought a used set of 13" Metro rims and tires and mileage
                                    went up to about 47 mpg.  I would have expected an increase to about
                                    43 because of the smaller tire diameter, the narrow tire and lower
                                    rolling resistance gme me about 4 mpg improvement.

                                  • Doug Brentlinger
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 21, 2008
                                      Hi fro Doug
                                      Its important to remember that when you go to smaller rims and tires that part of the increase will be caused by the fact that the wheels spin faster and thus the odometer is going faster as well.  In my Metro example, with the switch from 14" to 13" rims, I expected a slight increase and estimated about 3 or 4 mpg, the swith to 12" would also probably give a similar increase.
                                      doug

                                      Has anyone tried using different wheels allowing smaller less  rolling resistance tires?

                                      Kent Secor,
                                      In Cape Coral, FL

                                      Do You Yahoo!?
                                      http://mail. yahoo.com

                                    • Mike
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 1, 2008
                                        If you want to part with the rims, I would be interested.

                                        wrote:

                                        > Hi fro Doug
                                        > Its important to remember that when you go to smaller rims and tires
                                        that part of the increase will be caused by the fact that the wheels
                                        spin faster and thus the odometer is going faster as well.� In my
                                        Metro example, with the switch from 14" to 13" rims, I expected a
                                        slight increase and estimated about 3 or 4 mpg, the swith to 12" would
                                        also probably give a similar increase.
                                        > doug

                                      • Charles Bliss
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 1, 2008
                                          I have a full set of four 12" with the original tires that I would be happy
                                          to part with. The rubber is cracked a bit on two of the tires.

                                          If you want to part with the rims, I would be interested.

                                          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com <mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          , Doug Brentlinger <dougb120@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > Hi fro Doug
                                          > Its important to remember that when you go to smaller rims and tires
                                          that part of the increase will be caused by the fact that the wheels
                                          spin faster and thus the odometer is going faster as well.� In my
                                          Metro example, with the switch from 14" to 13" rims, I expected a
                                          slight increase and estimated about 3 or 4 mpg, the swith to 12" would
                                          also probably give a similar increase.
                                          > doug

                                        • Mike
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
                                            Where are you located? I think Mr Baldridge is actually not far from
                                            me and that is who I thought had the extra set.

                                            I am in NC. 27405.

                                            When I got my 93 I found that they put winter rated tires in the
                                            front. I would like to get a 2 more 12" rims and put regular radials
                                            on it to lower the drag even more during the summer when they aren't
                                            needed (not that they are needed much here in NC anyway)

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
                                              In California, near San Jose.

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
                                                Ouch, shipping would kill me! AT that point would probably be better to
                                                swap rims to 13"

                                                What 13" rims will fit? Anyone know?

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
                                                  Sorry, I was out of the loop, I am in Wilmington, NC and my set also has good rubber on them but because they had not been rotated properly they are noisey.
                                                  Bouty
                                                  910 617 8849

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
                                                    IF you are willing to part with em, let me know off line and how much.

                                                    mikesus at

                                                    gmail

                                                    dot

                                                    com
                                                  • Charles Bliss
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
                                                      I bought my set off craigslist. I think they came off of a Toyota Tercel.
                                                      I know there are a number of different 13" rims with the correct bolt
                                                      pattern but you will find that all have slightly larger holes. Measure the
                                                      hole pattern, mine is a 4.5" bolt circle. The studs are 10mm on the Metro
                                                      which is smaller than other cars. There are some 10mm lug nuts made for
                                                      ATVs that have larger flanges and can be used to make up the difference in
                                                      the hole size on the rims.

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jan 6, 2009
                                                        Does anyone have a copy of the pdf on the Greenseal tire rolling resistance?

                                                        If so, would you please share?

                                                        The link below does not have it any more.

                                                        Thanks,

                                                        Don Buckshot
                                                        '96 Force

                                                        Noel P. Luneau wrote:

                                                        > Hi Eric,
                                                        >
                                                        > This is my tire selection post on the Sumitomo HTR 200, in 2005.
                                                        >
                                                        > For anybody interested in better gas mileage (Not that my Metro uses
                                                        > gas), Low Rolling resistance tires can increase gas mileage up to 5 mpg.
                                                        > There is a good article from GreenSeal here:
                                                        > http://www.greenseal.org/recommendations/CGR_tire_rollingresistance.pdf
                                                        > <http://www.greenseal.org/recommendations/CGR_tire_rollingresistance.pdf>
                                                        >
                                                        > I just put on inexpensive Sumitomo HTR 200 tires in 175/70HR-13's. Big
                                                        > improvement in handling, especially in turns, over my previous M+S
                                                        > tires. They are also quite reasonably priced and score well in
                                                        > TireRack.com reader surveys:
                                                        >
                                                        > http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+
                                                        > <http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+>
                                                        > 200
                                                        >
                                                        > I also put on some aluminum fully enclosed hub caps on to reduce drag.
                                                        >
                                                        > Noel L
                                                        >
                                                        > From: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com

                                                      • packratdaddy
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jan 6, 2009