Belt Drive Adjustment

  • packratdaddy
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
      My belt drive 1994 Force was making a shrill sometimes warbling
      sound. It turns out the belt tension was too tight. I removed the belt
      and checked everything for damage and corrosion. I ran the motor
      briefly without the belt. It seemed to spin like it wasn't going to
      stop ! No noise coming from the motor. The transmission oil is changed.
      I reinstalled the belt and tensioned it within the specs.

      Wow ! Much quieter. It only reaches a higher freq. sound when I'm
      accelerating. It seems to find a low torque load when it's up to speed.

      Anyone else have any input on belt sounds or noise ?

      Or are some belt drives silent ?

      Thanks,

      Mark
    • mike young
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hi, I have had 2 belt drive solectrias and they both make that shrill whistling sound. what are the specs for belt tension? mike young

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
          Don't know if it will make a difference but in the process of rebuilding
          my 1993 Force, I decided to replace the belt. The replacement belt is
          suppose to be able to handle a lot more load. It is still a Gates
          8MGT-800-12 but it is of a different material (and color). It shows as
          a "Poly Chain GT Carbon" For $30 it seemed like a good idea to replace
          the belt while I have it apart.

          Information on it can be found here: http://www.gates.com/europe/carbon/

          mike young wrote:

          > Hi, I have had 2 belt drive solectrias and they both make that shrill
          > whistling sound. what are the specs for belt tension? mike young

        • packratdaddy
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
            Hey Mike,

            Since the belt is more like a chain ,it does'nt need to be super
            tight. I have learned.

            If you get the PDF's from the file section you can get the exact specs.

            The belt should deflect about 1/4 inch by applying 4 1/2 pounds force
            to the midpoint of the length of the drive belt.

            I checked mine with a digital fish scale.

            Thanks for the link to Gates.

            Mark