RE: [solectria_ev] Importing 1998 Solectria into Canada

  • Will Beckett (PCSolutions)
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 19, 2008
      Depends on the year. After 1995 they were mostly 4 door Chevy Metros.
      California DMV listed mine as a Chevy but my insurance has it listed as a
      Solectria Force.

      - Will
      Aptos, CA 95003
      (831) 688-8669
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 19, 2008
        It would be however it is listed on the title and the VIN number would also identify it. mike young
        Does anyone have any words of wisdom or experience on importing the
        Solectria into Canada? Do you call it a Geo or Solectria? Any tips
        would be appreciated!

      • Dan Wentworth
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 19, 2008
          Call it a Geo based on VIN # so it will be on the RIV list. Do NOT say it was MODIFIED to run on electricity but you can say, if asked, that it was converted to run on electricity.

          I may be able to provide a scan of a letter from Transport Canada stating that this car is allowed. However, I did not need this letter.

          Dan
          1997 PbA Solectria Force
          www.evco.ca

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 19, 2008
            Will -
            How did you get your insurance company to change to the Force. Mine
            refuses. I have the agent change it and the home office puts it right back
            to Metro. This will not be good if I ever need to make a claim.
            How did you get it changed and who is your insurance person?

            Thanks for any info you can share.
            Sioux

            On 8/19/08, Will Beckett (PCSolutions) <will@...> wrote:

            > Depends on the year. After 1995 they were mostly 4 door Chevy Metros.
            > California DMV listed mine as a Chevy but my insurance has it listed as a
            > Solectria Force.
            >
            > - Will
            > Aptos, CA 95003
            > (831) 688-8669
            > <mailto:will@...> will@...

          • Will Beckett (PCSolutions)
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 19, 2008
              I had my insurance company (USAA) call Solectria and get the crash test
              number which identified the vehicle as a Solectria Force. It was a good
              thing to because we did have a major accident and because it was listed as a
              $33K vehicle instead of a $12K vehicle, it was fixed instead of totaled.

              - Will
              Aptos, CA 95003
              (831) 688-8669

              <mailto:will%40beckettpcsolutions.com> > wrote:

              > Depends on the year. After 1995 they were mostly 4 door Chevy Metros.
              > California DMV listed mine as a Chevy but my insurance has it listed as a
              > Solectria Force.
              >
              > - Will
              > Aptos, CA 95003
              > (831) 688-8669
              > <mailto:will@... <mailto:will%40becketts.ws> > will@...
              <mailto:will%40becketts.ws>
              [mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com <mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>
              ]

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 19, 2008
                Can't say much about going to Canada specificially, but make sure the
                tile is unclouded. I would think whatever it was called on the
                absolutely clear title is what your going to need to use for
                registration. VIN on the car and title matching and type of engine
                being electric if the registration/title has a provision for that.

                You don't want to buy an out of country car from someone who never
                registered it in his/her name unless you like paperwork. (or at least
                that would be the case here in California)

                Mike

                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "reed_bement" <reedbement@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone have any words of wisdom or experience on importing the
                > Solectria into Canada? Do you call it a Geo or Solectria? Any tips
                > would be appreciated!

              • sioux ammerman
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 19, 2008
                  Is there any place "Solectria" still exists now to ask for those numbers?
                  do you think Azure would
                  maybe still have them?

                  Thanks for the clue.

                • Will Beckett (PCSolutions)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 19, 2008
                    There are still Solectria people at Azure and they would be the right place
                    to call to get that information.

                    - Will
                    Aptos, CA 95003
                    (831) 688-8669

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 19, 2008
                      My E-10 is insured thru State Farm, and it is registured as a Chevy S-10
                      pickup, I only have Injury/Liability, Medical, Uninsured/Underinsured on
                      it...

                      I always figured if it got wrecked, I would just part it out, since its
                      worth more as parts then what I paid for it ( $5051.00 ). ;)

                      Wolf
                      *wags his tail*
                      www.wolftronix.com

                    • philipdayson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 19, 2008
                        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "reed_bement" <reedbement@...> wrote:

                        > Does anyone have any words of wisdom or experience on importing the
                        > Solectria into Canada? Do you call it a Geo or Solectria? Any tips
                        > would be appreciated!

                        Transport canada is only interested in the vin number The vin
                        number will show a geo metro 4 cylinder car made in canada Another
                        advantage is you only have to pay gst and pst(federal and provincial
                        taxes for you non Canadians) based on the book value of that gas
                        powered geo You will need a inspection (easiest at Canadian Tire)
                        Based on my import you will need to reinstate the daytime running
                        lights and install baby seat restraints Phil Dayson Vancouver
                      • Ed Garcia
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 20, 2008
                          My Force is also insured through State Farm. It appears as a 2001 Solectria Force, even though the VIN declares it as a 1999 Chev Metro. I had them manually process it to ensure the full value was covered.

                          Ed Garcia