seeking: EVs @ hp Corvallis Earth Day

  • Bruce EVangel Parmenter
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20 8:03 AM
      The hp.com Corvallis site has a need for EVs to attend their
      Earth Day. They are in the early stages of coordinating this,
      but it is wise that they are beginning now.

      If you are an EV driver that is interested in attending
      their Earth Day, *contact will_beckett@... of
      Corp. He is gathering more information on this EVent.

      =====
      -
      Electric Vehicle (EV) List & Renewable Energy (RE) Editor
      ~ ____ % Charge your EV with RE %
      ~/__|o\__ http://egroups.com/group/EVList
      '@----- @'---(= Get Amp'd http://geocities.com/brucedp
      hybrid & fcv newsitems http://egroups.com/group/hydrogenpower
      -

      http://sports.yahoo.com
    • umarc@hippogryph.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21 7:06 PM
        Folks,

        Here in the Boston area we've been having an unusual winter. It got up to
        about 60 degrees today, whereas only a few days ago it was don in the
        twenties. And when it's warm I notice that it takes a lot fewer amp-hours
        to get me to work than when it's cold -- same car, same route, only the
        temperature is different. One day last summer it took me less than 4
        amp-hours to get to work -- just over six miles -- but on a few occasions
        this winter it's taken as much as 8 amp-hours to drive the same distance
        (today I did it in 5.8 amp-hours).

        Is that usual?

        Mine is a '92 Force with a fresh set of batteries (December, 2001) and a
        Zivan NG-3 charger with temperature probe.

        Rob Landry
        umarc@...
      • BECKETT,WILL (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 21 7:59 PM
          Yup. Do you have the thermal control on your batteries? Mine has this
          though cars for California don't usually get it. My car was made for
          Georgia Power, so had this plus AC. I was surprised to see the big
          difference rain can make on range. What are the road condition differences?

          - Will

          Will Beckett
          Contact information (https://ecardfile.com/id/will_beckett
          <https://ecardfile.com/id/will_beckett> )

          Here in the Boston area we've been having an unusual winter. It got up to
          about 60 degrees today, whereas only a few days ago it was don in the
          twenties. And when it's warm I notice that it takes a lot fewer amp-hours
          to get me to work than when it's cold -- same car, same route, only the
          temperature is different. One day last summer it took me less than 4
          amp-hours to get to work -- just over six miles -- but on a few occasions
          this winter it's taken as much as 8 amp-hours to drive the same distance
          (today I did it in 5.8 amp-hours).

          Is that usual?

          Mine is a '92 Force with a fresh set of batteries (December, 2001) and a
          Zivan NG-3 charger with temperature probe.

          Rob Landry
          umarc@...

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • John McCain
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22 7:29 AM
            One other thing, check the tires. If you didn't compensate, a 40 degree
            drop in temp will flatten them a bit causing increased rolling resistance
            when it's colder.

            At 10:06 PM 2/21/02 -0500, you wrote:
            >temperature is different. One day last summer it took me less than 4
            >amp-hours to get to work -- just over six miles -- but on a few occasions
            >this winter it's taken as much as 8 amp-hours to drive the same distance
            >(

            John
            McCain
            Jmccain@...
            Data Comm for Business, Inc. (DCB) Voice:
            217-352-3207
            807
            Pioneer FAX:
            217-352-0350
            Champaign, IL.
            61820 FREE: 1-800-4-dcbnet
            DCB, Providing Data Communications Solutions since
            1981. http://www.dcbnet.com
          • umarc@hippogryph.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 25 6:10 PM
              On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, BECKETT,WILL (HP-PaloAlto,ex1) wrote:

              > Yup. Do you have the thermal control on your batteries? Mine has this
              > though cars for California don't usually get it.

              My car came with heating pads in both battery compartments, along with
              button-shaped things that might be temperature sensors. I don't think the
              heaters actually work, though, and the one in the back compartment
              measures open on my ohmmeter.

              > My car was made for
              > Georgia Power, so had this plus AC.

              Mine has AC, too. I've only used it a couple of times; it isn't really
              necessary here in Massachusetts.

              > I was surprised to see the big difference rain can make on range.

              I actually don't notice much of a difference in rainy weather, but that
              may be because the variation with temperature is so pronounced that it
              conceals the effect of rain.

              >What are the road condition differences?

              Nothing observable; this has been a dry winter so far, with temperatures
              in the twenties one day and in the fifties the next. Tomorrow they say it
              may hit 60, but it'll be back into the freezer on Wednesday.

              Rob Landry
              umarc@...