Lithium Iron Phosphate or LFP or LiFepo4 batteries

  • ehsif727
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
      I will be adding Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries for sale to my
      Silicone batteries sales site soon. On my first order I would like to
      offer anyone on this site with an electric car these batteries at
      cost. The 13 lead acid batteries in a newer Force would need to be
      replaced with about 50 single LFP cells. The nominal voltage is 3.2
      volts per cell. The cells come in a 90 amp hour, a 160 amp hour and a
      200 amp hour size. You can go to the site for thunder-sky batteries
      at this link for more information:
      http://www.thunder-sky.com/products_en.asp
      I will be adding this information to my site next week.
      It will cost, I guess, about 7,000 dollars with this offer to equip a
      Force with the 90 amp hour batteries. The batteries will weigh about
      half what the lead acid battery pack weighed and would last about 2000
      cycles according to the manufacturer.
      The charging can be done with the current charger but you may need to
      monitor the individual batteries some what, just as you would with any
      battery and use a timer to turn the charger off at the end of a
      charge cycle because the batteries do not need to be left in a floated
      mode.

      Eric Fisher
      www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com
    • Will Beckett (PCSolutions)
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
        I would think you would need at least 52 cells to get to a comparable
        voltage.

        - Will
        Aptos, CA 95003
        (831) 688-8669

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
          Does anyone know how the Ahr rating of Lithium Iron Phosphate cells translates into usable Ahrs? For instance the Deka27 batteries are rated at almost 100Ahrs but there is only approximately 45 Ahrs available at EV discharge rates. So for the Lithium Iron Phosphate cells rated at 90Ahr, what could we expect under typical Force discharge rates?

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
            Also, what is the max discharge rate for these cells?

            It looks like you would want at least a 3C discharge rate in a Force
            with a 90ah battery.

            Do these come with a BMS?

            Thanks!
          • ehsif727
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
              The rating for the LFP batteries is 3C or 270 amp for the 90 amp hour
              cells. The batteries do not come with a BMS system. This would be
              nice to have but the availability is poor at this time. If you know
              of a system I would be interested in it.

              Thanks

            • theoldcars@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
                That is their maximum. Thundersky have a horrible track record.

                Don

                In a message dated 7/18/2008 3:45:04 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                yahoo@... writes:

                Also, what is the max discharge rate for these cells?

                It looks like you would want at least a 3C discharge rate in a Force
                with a 90ah battery.

                Do these come with a BMS?

                Thanks!

                FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
                  I could design and build a battery balencer for large lithium-ion battery
                  blocks.

                  It would be much simpler then the one I am making for 12 volt blocks,
                  since the voltages are much lower. :)

                  Wolf
                  *wags his tail*
                  www.wolftronix.com

                  > The rating for the LFP batteries is 3C or 270 amp for the 90 amp hour
                  > cells. The batteries do not come with a BMS system. This would be
                  > nice to have but the availability is poor at this time. If you know
                  > of a system I would be interested in it.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Eric Fisher
                  > www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com
                  >

                  > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Austin" <yahoo@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Also, what is the max discharge rate for these cells?
                  >>
                  >> It looks like you would want at least a 3C discharge rate in a Force
                  >> with a 90ah battery.
                  >>
                  >> Do these come with a BMS?
                  >>
                  >> Thanks!

                • Nick Austin
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
                    On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Wolf <wolf@...> wrote:

                    > I could design and build a battery balancer for large lithium-ion battery
                    > blocks.
                    >
                    > It would be much simpler then the one I am making for 12 volt blocks,
                    > since the voltages are much lower. :)

                    Since there seems to be some scepticism about the Thunder Sky modules,
                    it would be super cool if you
                    could get a couple of cells and put them through there paces.

                    Doing tests such as discharging at 3C until low voltage cut-off, and
                    measure Ah out; charge at max rated charge
                    voltage and measure temp rise; put 500 cycles on one, and measure Ah
                    over time, etc.

                    Hopefully Eric will pay you something for that, since the outcome of
                    the testing could make the cells much
                    more valuable (or far less, depending on the results :) )

                    Just a thought.

                    Thanks!
                  • ehsif727
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 20, 2008
                      Wolf

                      Do you think this is a good Lithium battery balancer.
                      http://www.ev-power.com.au/-Integrated-Lithium-Battery-Systems-.html
                      I wrote Don at ev power and he said that for the 90 amp thunder sky
                      battery it would cost 22 dollars per cell. It would then cost an
                      addition 318 dollars for the control unit.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 20, 2008
                        It looks like a resistive element balencer.

                        It just turns on when the voltage is two high, to drain power from the
                        battery.

                        The master module looks to read the voltages of all the cells and
                        determins when to turn off the charger. And protects the batteries from
                        draining to much by signaling you, and/or the motor controller.

                        This style will work, but its not that efficent, nor is it continous.
                        Balancing would only happen while charging.

                        Wolf
                        *wags his tail*
                        www.wolftronix.com

                        > Wolf
                        >
                        > Do you think this is a good Lithium battery balancer.
                        > http://www.ev-power.com.au/-Integrated-Lithium-Battery-Systems-.html
                        > I wrote Don at ev power and he said that for the 90 amp thunder sky
                        > battery it would cost 22 dollars per cell. It would then cost an
                        > addition 318 dollars for the control unit.
                        >
                        > Eric Fisher
                        > www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com
                        >

                        > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Wolf" <wolf@...> wrote:
                        >>

                        >> I could design and build a battery balencer for large lithium-ion
                        > battery
                        >> blocks.
                        >>
                        >> It would be much simpler then the one I am making for 12 volt blocks,
                        >> since the voltages are much lower. :)
                        >>
                        >> Wolf
                        >> *wags his tail*
                        >> www.wolftronix.com
                        >>
                        >> > The rating for the LFP batteries is 3C or 270 amp for the 90 amp hour
                        >> > cells. The batteries do not come with a BMS system. This would be
                        >> > nice to have but the availability is poor at this time. If you know
                        >> > of a system I would be interested in it.
                        >> >
                        >> > Thanks
                        >> > Eric Fisher
                        >> > www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com

                      • Jerry Pohorsky
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 20, 2008
                          Howdy,

                          Richard Hatfield has a BMS system for the ThunderSky batteries.
                          It is about the same price but a better design and made in California -
                          not Australia.
                          It is supposed to include a dashboard display also.
                          It should be available in about a month.
                          Beta testing is underway now.

                          Adios,

                          Jerry Pohorsky

                          Wolf wrote:

                          > It looks like a resistive element balencer.
                          >
                          > It just turns on when the voltage is two high, to drain power from the
                          > battery.
                          >
                          > The master module looks to read the voltages of all the cells and
                          > determins when to turn off the charger. And protects the batteries from
                          > draining to much by signaling you, and/or the motor controller.
                          >
                          > This style will work, but its not that efficent, nor is it continous.
                          > Balancing would only happen while charging.
                          >
                          > Wolf
                          > *wags his tail*
                          > www.wolftronix.com
                          >
                          > > Wolf
                          > >
                          > > Do you think this is a good Lithium battery balancer.
                          > > http://www.ev-power.com.au/-Integrated-Lithium-Battery-Systems-.html
                          > <http://www.ev-power.com.au/-Integrated-Lithium-Battery-Systems-.html>
                          > > I wrote Don at ev power and he said that for the 90 amp thunder sky
                          > > battery it would cost 22 dollars per cell. It would then cost an
                          > > addition 318 dollars for the control unit.
                          > >
                          > > Eric Fisher
                          > > www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com
                          > >

                          > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com>, "Wolf" <wolf@...> wrote:
                          > >>

                          > >> I could design and build a battery balencer for large lithium-ion
                          > > battery
                          > >> blocks.
                          > >>
                          > >> It would be much simpler then the one I am making for 12 volt blocks,
                          > >> since the voltages are much lower. :)
                          > >>
                          > >> Wolf
                          > >> *wags his tail*
                          > >> www.wolftronix.com

                        • ehsif727
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 21, 2008
                            Wolf Here is the Battery Management System for Lithium batteries that
                            Thunder Sky offers.
                            I put the information in the file section of this site. The File
                            section is indexed not by date so look for it about half way down the
                            list starting with the words: Battery Management System. I was hoping
                            you could tell us what you think of this one. They want $1,725 for the
                            unit to handle 50 cells. I hope it might give you some ideas so you
                            could make one that we might be able to buy from you.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 21, 2008
                              I don't have access to the files section ;)

                              Wolf
                              *wags his tail*
                              www.wolftronix.com

                            • Noel P. Luneau
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 24, 2008
                                Wolf, if you get a yahoo account, you can access the files section.

                                Not sure if you know this.

                                Noel L

                                Noel Luneau
                                Vice President
                                PsiNapse Technology Ltd <http://www.psinapse.com>

                                925-225-0400 x 114 - Work
                                nluneau@... - Email
                                www.psinapse.com

                                <mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com> , "ehsif727" <ehsif727@...>
                                wrote:

                                >> Wolf
                                >>
                                >> Do you think this is a good Lithium battery balancer.
                                >> http://www.ev-power.com.au/-Integrated-Lithium-Battery-Systems-.html
                                >> I wrote Don at ev power and he said that for the 90 amp thunder sky
                                >> battery it would cost 22 dollars per cell. It would then cost an
                                >> addition 318 dollars for the control unit.
                                >>
                                >> Eric Fisher
                                >> www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com
                                >>

                                >> --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com
                                <mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com> , "Wolf" <wolf@> wrote:

                                >> > I could design and build a battery balencer for large lithium-ion
                                >> battery
                                >> > blocks.
                                >> >
                                >> > It would be much simpler then the one I am making for 12 volt
                                blocks,
                                >> > since the voltages are much lower. :)
                                >> >
                                >> > Wolf
                                >> > *wags his tail*
                                >> > www.wolftronix.com

                                > hour

                                <mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com> , "Nick Austin" <yahoo@>

                                > Force

                              • ehsif727
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 9, 2008
                                  After some research I think 63 amp.hours would be the usable power for
                                  a 90 amp.hour lithium battery pack. With 50 Lithium iron phosphate
                                  batteries installed in the Force the current charger would charge each
                                  cell to 3.75 volts. This would give the cells a charge of more than
                                  90% but less then 100%. This is what you want for a lithium battery
                                  because charging to 100% can shorten the life of the cells to only
                                  2000 cycles. If you only charge to 90% the cells life span of fully cycled
                                  cell is increase to 3000 cycles. I am told by persons riding scooters
                                  with lithium batteries that you would normally plan to discharge them
                                  to where 20% of the rated power is still available. So if you operate
                                  between 90% percent and 20% charge you would have 63 amp.hours usable.