seeking: where to install Santa Rosa public EV chargers

  • Bruce EVangel Parmenter
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2002
      Please read Nick's efforts and give your input to where
      the public EV chargers should be located.

      Re: Address to Santa Rosa city council
      --- Nick Carter <nick@...> wrote:
      > Update on EV chargers in Santa Rosa
      >
      > After a successful meeting today, we now have a commitment
      > from the City Manager to work with us on installing public
      > EV chargers in Santa Rosa. The next step is to decide on the
      > best locations.
      >
      > I urge all EV drivers to write to the City Manager
      > and Assistant Manager with suggestions, to express support
      > for this undertaking and to promise to visit Santa Rosa once
      > the chargers are in place! Their e-mails are:-
      > JKolin@...-rosa.ca.us
      > mrichardson@...-rosa.ca.us
      >
      > Thanks to Jenny Bard (American Lung Association) and
      > Chuck Hammond (Equipment Superintendent, City of Santa Rosa)
      > for their support with this endeavour.
      > Best wishes to all,
      [...]
      > Dr Nick Carter,
      > Owner, npc Imaging and Th!nk EV driver,
      > 3000 Cleveland Avenue, Suite 209,
      > Santa Rosa CA 95403-2117
      > nick@... Tel/fax: +1 (707) 573 9361
      > http://www.npcimaging.com
      -

      =====
      -
      Electric Vehicle (EV) List & Renewable Energy (RE) Editor
      ~ ____ % Charge your EV with RE %
      ~/__|o\__ http://egroups.com/group/EVList
      '@----- @'---(= Get Amp'd http://geocities.com/brucedp
      hybrid & fcv newsitems http://egroups.com/group/hydrogenpower
      -

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • Bruce EVangel Parmenter
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2002
        The EV charging site I built is
        http://geocities.com/evcharging

        On the second page of my site http://geocities.com/brucedp
        I have links to EV charging maps and more.

        Some EV drivers are interested in speed, distance, or other
        activities. My main focus is charging.

        I spear headed EV charging installations at Hewlett-Packard,
        and have done presentations on how to install EV charging
        at company sites.

        I have six chargers in my Blazer EV allowing me to charge as
        fast as you have outlets (I have gotten a 50 mile recharge
        down to 1.5 hours using my 100 amp charging current ability).

        Using this ability allowed me to stair step charge my way to
        Sacramento using public charging. This also allows me to state
        what works and what does not.

        CARB has set the standard to Conductive AVCON EV charging. While
        GM is still grumbling about this, inductive users have moved
        forward to embrace conductive as it would cost much less to
        put in and more public charging sites would be installed.

        EV charging is best when installed every 40 miles, with an AVCON
        powerpak and a 5-20 20amp duplex gfi outlet with tymac weather
        tight enclosures. This allows Production EVs, conversion EVs,
        neighborhood EVs, and Ebikes to use the spots. This truely is
        the EVI envisioned Level 1 and Level 2 charging.

        The location of these spots should be not in front, but located
        where gas car are less likely to park, and near power panels.
        Locating these spots in the rear, or along the back/side where
        gas car do not go, with 24 hour access, will keep the gas cars
        out of the EV spots (unlike at Costco's).

        EV charging locations should be at a host that has something for
        the EV driver to do and spend their money while they charge.

        Some local EAA http://eaaev.org chapters offer a free EAA EV
        parking sign for each new EV charging spot. As EVents Officer of
        the San Jose EAA Chapter, we seek out hosts and offer most of
        the installation equipment cost covered by our treasury funds.
        We feel this serves the EAA purpose of promoting public EV use.

        -Bruce

        --- Thomas Cook <Hi2Thomas@...com> wrote:
        > Hi Bruce.
        > I seem to remember that you had a list of what a charging station
        > should
        > include. (What type of outlets and where to place them) Could you
        > send them
        > the link to the charging page. I can't find it at the moment. Thanks,
        > Thomas Cook
        -

        =====
        -