Range Test

  • Bill Swann
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2008
      I did a range test the other night. The results were 57.5 miles. I
      stopped when the max speed was 25 MPG. My batteries are about 3 months
      old. The vehicle speed was 40 MPH or less. The amp hours were 62. I
      have 2 questions:
      1) Did I do damage to the battery set?
      2) The amp hours per mile is 62/57 = 1.08. The watt-hour/mile figure
      is 1.08 x 156 = 170. Is it correct to multiply by the nominal
      voltage? Or since the voltage varies considerably, depending on the
      load, incorrect?
    • Will Beckett (PCSolutions)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2008
        Solectria use to recommend not going over 45 amp/hr on a regular basis.
        Every time you get to the point of the batteries current limiting, you will
        be reducing the life of the batteries. I assume you did the break-in
        recommendation on the batteries (not more than 20 amp/hrs, don't use the
        full power setting, for the first 10 trips). I believe it has become clear
        that the batteries will last a lot longer if you always drive using the
        Normal position. The difference in doing these thing can be 10K vs. 20K+
        for battery life and at $2500 a pack, that is a big deal.

        -Will

        I did a range test the other night. The results were 57.5 miles. I
        stopped when the max speed was 25 MPG. My batteries are about 3 months
        old. The vehicle speed was 40 MPH or less. The amp hours were 62. I
        have 2 questions:
        1) Did I do damage to the battery set?
        2) The amp hours per mile is 62/57 = 1.08. The watt-hour/mile figure
        is 1.08 x 156 = 170. Is it correct to multiply by the nominal
        voltage? Or since the voltage varies considerably, depending on the
        load, incorrect?

      • d. Bouton Baldridge
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2008
          Will,
          That is good advise. When I got my AGMs two years ago, I forgot to warn my wife to take it easy, she came back with over 65 Ah, she likes to use the A/C any way two years later and I get a pretty good sag at 20 Ah, and I can see that there are very few hard accellerations left from here. Fortunately we don't need to go more than 20 miles a day. When I checked all of the batteries individually they were within .1v after 80% SOC and the  Ahs  seemed to be well matched as well. I guess we will never see 40 Ahs again on this set. Maybe Lithium will be affordable by the time this set is shot.
          Bouty

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 13, 2008
              Will,
              I probably have 6 or 7 thousand on this pack. My first set I used floodeds like my owners mnl called for but they didn;t last 18 mos, I was hard on them tho. We don't travel all that much especially since we have four vehicles. I use the 92 Solecria for most of the round town stuff rarely need more than 10 or 15 miles a day.
              Bouty

              --- On Sat, 7/12/08, Will Beckett (PCSolutions) <will@beckettpcsolut ions.com