Action: SF Gate: Fuel cell future bright, hopes electric vehicles dim

  • Mike Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2002
      Anyone feel like letting this guy know about EV availability and whether
      consumers like them?
      (Thanks to EV1 club / Margaret Cheng for passing this on!

      Bcc: All ev lists

      This article states no one wants EVs..... Fuel Cells instead, in 2010 or
      later....
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2002/01/07/MN62748.DTL

      Joe Garofoli, Chronicle Staff Writer
      jgarofoli@...
      SF Chronicle main phone line
      415-777-1111 9 (by name) 42763 (garof)

      I've already started talking with him. But I'm sure ohters have opinions
      also! The more people he hears from, the more he'll realize that EVs ARE
      IN DEMAND! And they work. Today. (As opposed to maybe in the next decade
      for fuel cells.)

      As for current EV availability there's the Toyota RAV4-EV
      http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/12-12-2001/0001632670&EDATE=
      and the Th!nk among others.
      http://www.thinkmobility.com/products/city/index.asp

      Ford Th!nk Press Release:
      (They don't have a direct URL :-( )

      Ford Delivers Urban Solution with All-New TH!NK city Electric Car

      LOS ANGELES, Jan. 4, 2002 Ford Motor Company today introduced the companys
      first purpose-built electric car the all-new 2002 TH!NK city for sale to
      consumers at Ford dealers this fall.

      Unveiled today at the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show, the TH!NK city is
      designed to tackle driving in both city traffic and on the highway. A full
      battery charge provides more than 50 miles of travel range, with speeds up
      to 62 mph.

      "TH!NK city is an affordable, fun-to-drive alternative transportation
      choice when a full function car isnt needed, said Jim OConnor, Ford
      Division president. Many urban areas are facing challenges, including air
      pollution and congestion. TH!NK city is one step Ford is taking to help
      provide a solution."

      The TH!NK city was first introduced in Europe in 2000. The all-new version
      includes interior and exterior styling tailored to U.S. customers, as well
      as such features as power steering, power windows and power locks, dual
      cup holders; air conditioning; driver and passenger-side front air bags,
      and a 5 mile per hour bumper.

      The city meets all U.S. federal government safety regulations. The city
      will come in a choice of five exterior colors and boasts a clean design.
      The body panels are molded from a combination of pressure-formed,
      co-extruded ABS and PMMA plastics.

      The city is a front-wheel drive car with an AC electric powertrain and
      single- speed gear reduction drive. Its designed with a high-strength
      steel chassis and an aluminum upper space frame, along with a plastic body
      panel setup, much like a modern racecar.

      A range of charging options will be available, including 110 or 220-volt
      plug-in options as standard equipment. A 220-volt option provides for a
      full charge in six to eight hours.

      "A unique pilot program allowed us to put the several hundred European
      model TH!NK city cars in the hands of our target customers in urban areas,
      says Rob Stevens, president of TH!NK Mobility. After they had driven it
      for a period of time, we got input on what they liked, what theyd improve
      and what they wanted in future versions. The feedback we received went
      into the design of the new city thats headed for the U.S. this fall."

      Customer feedback led to the inclusion of air conditioning, power
      steering, power windows and locks, and improved cup holders. U.S. buyers
      will be able to choose an instantly available pre-heat/pre-cool feature
      that either warms or cools the interior of the car at the touch of the key
      fob.

      TH!NK city is the flagship vehicle of Ford Motor Companys full line of
      environmentally responsible, zero-emission vehicles. TH!NK Mobility also
      offers the TH!NK neighbor, a two- or four-seat electric vehicle designed
      for travel on speed-limited residential roads.

      On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Darell Dickey wrote:

      > Thanks for the post Margaret.
      >
      > "Automakers have virtually stopped making the electrics for the mass market
      > because they were too expensive to build, didn't have much range and
      > consumers weren't buying them."
      >
      > I'm still trying to figure out how they know we weren't buying them? I
      > don't recall being offered the chance. And it'll take a bit to convince me
      > that a hydrogen-fueled electric car will be a lot cheaper to build. Grr....
      > it's these comments that the public remembers.

      Later, "A rainbow is only part of a circle." San Joser, CA
      ^ ^ Software Consultants: http://www.migration.com/
      O o Permanent: m.t.thompson@...
      ===-o-=== My catbox: http://www.madkatz.com/
      Ack! Phththpph!

      2001 Clean Air Champion http://www.baaqmd.gov/pie/press/cachamp01.pdf

      True Zero Emission Vehicle (TZEV) GM EV1 and my home powered by
      100% renewable, Zero emission 30kWh/day Solar Electric (PV) system
      on my roof: http://www.madkatz.com/pv/index.html

      Sometimes I see gas cars... In my rearview mirror! http://www.gmev.com/

      President, Electric Auto Association, San Jose Chapter
      http://www.geocities.com/sjeaa/

      Electric Vehicle Email List Instructions: (EVList members: Bookmark it!)
      http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html