[force_ev] NiMH battery problems

  • Buckshot
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2001
      I have been a little disappointed in the performance of my NiMH Force
      until we found a bad cell and bypassed it. I wish I could buy a
      replacement, But ...
      The performance is much improved but not really Quick.

      I do have some problems with the controller dropping out for not
      apparent reason. It just does it randomly, under acceleration, when
      coasting not under load, and even during regen! I may have to pull the
      controller out and send it to Solectria for service. Anyone have a
      similar experience?

      I'd like to find the other 11 owners of the NiMH powered Forces.

      Don Buckshot
      Kansas City, MO

      1993 Solectria Force 4 door
      1993 Dodge TEVan

      Gordon Stallings wrote:

      > > The Force will handle an expressway hop, if not with aplomb, at least
      > >acceptably.
      >
      > Agreed. The performance of the Force is more like the old VW bug than it
      > is like the EV1. So it sometimes requires some planning ahead before
      > making a traffic move. And I suppose the Force would sag in mountainous
      > areas. Land is pretty flat around here.
      >
      > Gordon Stallings
      > 1999 Solectria Force

    • BECKETT,WILL (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2001
        This does sound familiar. Could it be the motor speed sensor? I replaced
        one once and I think this was the reported problem.

        - Will

        Contact information (https://ecardfile.com/id/will_beckett

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2001
          Will,
          I have a friend working on my Force who has been trained by Solectria.
          He has spoken to Janice and learned that a "filter" needs to be added to
          my controller. My wife drove the car to work today and nearly had an
          accident again in heavy traffic because of the drop-out. I am going to
          pull the controller out and send it to Janice ASAP. No sense in getting
          killed because of it. It would ruin my day!
          Don

          "BECKETT,WILL (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)" wrote:

          > This does sound familiar. Could it be the motor speed sensor? I replaced
          > one once and I think this was the reported problem.
          >
          > - Will
          >
          > Contact information (https://ecardfile.com/id/will_beckett
          > <https://ecardfile.com/id/will_beckett> )

        • Mark L Villemaire
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 20, 2001
            Don:

            If by your mail you imply that only 12 NiMh Forces were built. Then there
            is at most 6 other owners because 6 NiMH Forces are at UMASS Lowell.

            Mark