Re: [solectria_ev] Dead equipment repository.

    Message 1 of 8 , May 7, 2008
      I could try and repair and document the charger.

      I have a working BC3300 in my truck to compare signals to.

      Wolf
      *wags his tail*
      www.wolftronix.com

      > I would be willing to donate a dead BC3300 to anyone who might fix it
      > for the group's use. Similarly, I would be interested in looking into
      > fixing a motor/gearbox/differential.
      > Thanks, Bill S

    • Bill Swann
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7, 2008
          Speaking of used equipment, anyone know where I can purchase a replacement temperature (high limit) switch (little round unit that sits on top of motor)?

          Message 4 of 8 , May 8, 2008
            Wolf,
            I also have a dead BC 3300 that I would donate to the group.
            If you would e-mail me an mailing address, I'll send it to you.
            Lynn
            lynnstarr@...
            or call 661-965-6668
            I'm also looking for a working DC-DC converter 144 dc in, 12 dc out. Air cooled.
            Thanks Lynn

            Wolf <wolf@...> wrote:

            I could try and repair and document the charger.

            I have a working BC3300 in my truck to compare signals to.

            Wolf
            *wags his tail*
            www.wolftronix.com

            > I would be willing to donate a dead BC3300 to anyone who might fix it
            > for the group's use. Similarly, I would be interested in looking into
            > fixing a motor/gearbox/differential.
            > Thanks, Bill S

          • Bill or Dorothy Swann
            Message 5 of 8 , May 8, 2008
              Thanks Wolf. There is a card in the charger with caps that are visibly "smoked".
              It is worth a try. Is there a mailing address. I will send it.
              Thanks.Bill S
              PS I would really like to look at the guts of an AC drive motor. Has anyone got a broken one?

              I could try and repair and document the charger.

              I have a working BC3300 in my truck to compare signals to.

              Wolf
              *wags his tail*
              www.wolftronix. com

              > I would be willing to donate a dead BC3300 to anyone who might fix it
              > for the group's use. Similarly, I would be interested in looking into
              > fixing a motor/gearbox/ differential.
              > Thanks, Bill S

            • sghiahughes
              Message 6 of 8 , May 8, 2008
                The Brusa charger has a known issue with the cap board. Over time, the vias on the board
                overheat and break down. The resistance to the caps goes up and they get hotter, causing
                it to get even worse. The charger counts cap charge-discharge cycles to calculate current,
                so when the resistance goes up, less current passes through the cap for each cycle, and
                the charger does less current than it "thinks" it's doing. Eventually, the charger does very
                little current, even though it reports that it is doing the right amount.

                Assuming the traces and vias aren't totally melted/burned away, you can re-flow the
                solder to all the leads on the caps. This takes a huge soldering iron, since it is a very
                heavy board. After that, chances are you'll have a decent charger again, that does the
                actual current that it reports. (The toughest part is getting the cap board out, since you
                pretty much have to take the thing completely apart.) Good luck!

                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Bill or Dorothy Swann <dbswann4@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Wolf. There is a card in the charger with caps that are visibly "smoked".
                > It is worth a try. Is there a mailing address. I will send it.
                > Thanks.Bill S
                > PS I would really like to look at the guts of an AC drive motor. Has anyone got a broken
                one?

              • Bill or Dorothy Swann
                Message 7 of 8 , May 9, 2008
                  I uploaded photos of the defective BC3300 charger. In particular, photos the defective capacitors that are shown. I can isolate the PC board upon which the capacitors are placed. But can replacements be found, with the rectangular form factor?
                  Thanks, Bill s

                  The Brusa charger has a known issue with the cap board. Over time, the vias on the board
                  overheat and break down. The resistance to the caps goes up and they get hotter, causing
                  it to get even worse. The charger counts cap charge-discharge cycles to calculate current,
                  so when the resistance goes up, less current passes through the cap for each cycle, and
                  the charger does less current than it "thinks" it's doing. Eventually, the charger does very
                  little current, even though it reports that it is doing the right amount.

                  Assuming the traces and vias aren't totally melted/burned away, you can re-flow the
                  solder to all the leads on the caps. This takes a huge soldering iron, since it is a very
                  heavy board. After that, chances are you'll have a decent charger again, that does the
                  actual current that it reports. (The toughest part is getting the cap board out, since you
                  pretty much have to take the thing completely apart.) Good luck!

                  --- In solectria_ev@ yahoogroups. com, Bill or Dorothy Swann <dbswann4@.. .> wrote:

                  > Thanks Wolf. There is a card in the charger with caps that are visibly "smoked".
                  > It is worth a try. Is there a mailing address. I will send it.
                  > Thanks.Bill S
                  > PS I would really like to look at the guts of an AC drive motor. Has anyone got a broken
                  one?

                • sghiahughes
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 11, 2008
                    You should be able to find similar caps on the internet, from somewhere like Digikey. But
                    typically the failure begins in the board, with the heat being generated where the leads of
                    the caps solder to the board. If the caps have melted so much, you may have some major
                    heat in the board, so that you may not be able to repair it. It's worth looking at though.

                    Ken