Re: [solectria_ev] E-10 motor controller connections

  • paul doe
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2008
      Steve,

      You might want to drop "wolf" (wolf@...) a note with your questions. He pracrically rebuilt his own E10 controllers and would probably have the answer right off. Also, check out his website (www.wolftronix.com). It has a lot of good detail regarding his rebuild project. I'm in the process of my own E10 rebuild, but on hold until I get the title paperwork squared away.

      Thanks,

      Paul

      Steve Dill <stevedill@...> wrote:
      Hi Folks,

      I just got my AMC325 back from Switzerland where it was repaired by
      Kruspan Engineering. Not as much as a new controller and the
      controller works now with a six month warrantee.

      No I dont know why I have AMC325's instead of the listed AMC320's in my
      E-10.

      I have some questions about how to connect the controllers. I looked
      at the docs. The E-10 repair manual almost answers my questions.

      I wrote down the original wiring before I disconnected everything when
      the truck stopped going, and it shows that I had only one of the motor
      speed sensor 9-pin connectors connected. It also show only one ground
      wire.

      My question then is.
      Am I supposed to have both 25-pin accelerator pot box connections
      plugged in, one to each controller?
      Am I supposed to have both 9-pin motor speed sensors plugged in, one to
      each controller?

      The controllers each have a skinny, little ground wire from one of the
      case screws to the chassis. Are both of those supposed to be attached?
      I only have one mount point. I seem to recall that affects whether
      the brake lights work, and I dont know if that is right.

      Everything else is obvious. Two pin DC input and three pin AC 3 phase.

      Thanks for the help.
      Stephen

    • tshjarback
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
        Steve,

        I just replaced both 25 pin connectors and both 9 pin connectors on my
        E10 controllers. So, there should be two 25 pin connectors from
        inside the cab, one to each controller. They are 25 pin connectors,
        with the 26 wire ribbon cables feeding them. The 26th wire is a
        ground. When I replaced my connectors I just attached these ground
        wires together since I didn't use the same exact connectors as original.

        Same thing goes for the 9 pin connector can cables to each motor, each
        should be hooked up. Once again, theses are 10 wire ribbon, 9 wires
        connected through the connector, and the tenth, a ground that I just
        attached to each other.

        Each controller and motor should run by it's self. So, you should be
        able to jack up a rear wheel, disconnect the 144 vdc feed to one
        controller, and test the other controller and it's connections. Then
        switch controllers, plug that one back in, un-plug the other one, and
        it should spin the rear wheel.

        The speedometer only runs off of one controller, so it won't work with
        each test, only one.

        does that help?

        tx
        Tom

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Steve Dill <stevedill@...> wrote:

        > Hi Folks,
        >
        > I just got my AMC325 back from Switzerland where it was repaired by
        > Kruspan Engineering. Not as much as a new controller and the
        > controller works now with a six month warrantee.
        >
        > No I dont know why I have AMC325's instead of the listed AMC320's in my
        > E-10.
        >
        > I have some questions about how to connect the controllers. I looked
        > at the docs. The E-10 repair manual almost answers my questions.
        >
        > I wrote down the original wiring before I disconnected everything when
        > the truck stopped going, and it shows that I had only one of the motor
        > speed sensor 9-pin connectors connected. It also show only one ground
        > wire.
        >
        > My question then is.
        > Am I supposed to have both 25-pin accelerator pot box connections
        > plugged in, one to each controller?
        > Am I supposed to have both 9-pin motor speed sensors plugged in, one to
        > each controller?
        >
        > The controllers each have a skinny, little ground wire from one of the
        > case screws to the chassis. Are both of those supposed to be attached?
        > I only have one mount point. I seem to recall that affects whether
        > the brake lights work, and I dont know if that is right.
        >
        > Everything else is obvious. Two pin DC input and three pin AC 3 phase.
        >
        > Thanks for the help.
        > Stephen

        > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

      • Doug Jackson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
          Tom;

          This is somewhat off the primary subject but your comment about the
          speedometer may give me some information I need.

          Last year, I replaced the gearbox on my 1999 Solectria Force. The
          new gearbox did NOT have a fitting for the mechanical speedometer
          cable. I have been trying to come up with a good solution since then.

          Can you describe your speedometer setup for me? I am particularly
          interested in what signal you are picking off the controller. I'm
          sure the controller is different from mine but I may be able to map
          your information to my controller.

          What is the speedometer? I have been looking at an electronic one
          from VDO. My problem has been how to generate a signal to the
          speedometer.

          Doug Jackson
          adjackson3.org

        • tshjarback
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 27, 2008
            Hey Doug,

            The E10 speedometer feed comes from the ignition box. This is the box
            under the dash were the reverse/forward switch, the power reduction
            switch, the pot box, the AC charge disabler all come together. Out of
            this box is a green wire that goes to the speedometer. So, on the
            E10, with two of these ignition boxes, you only need a speedometer
            feed off of one.

            I am not sure if that will help you, check and see if you have a green
            wire out of the ignition box under your dash, and if so where does it go?

            Tom

            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Doug Jackson <doug@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > wire.
            > > >
            > > > My question then is.
            > > > Am I supposed to have both 25-pin accelerator pot box connections
            > > > plugged in, one to each controller?
            > > > Am I supposed to have both 9-pin motor speed sensors plugged in,
            > > one to
            > > > each controller?
            > > >
            > > > The controllers each have a skinny, little ground wire from one
            > > of the
            > > > case screws to the chassis. Are both of those supposed to be
            > > attached?
            > > > I only have one mount point. I seem to recall that affects whether
            > > > the brake lights work, and I dont know if that is right.
            > > >
            > > > Everything else is obvious. Two pin DC input and three pin AC 3
            > > phase.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for the help.
            > > > Stephen

            > > > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.

          • rod864
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6 7:06 AM
              --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Doug Jackson <doug@...> wrote:

              > Last year, I replaced the gearbox on my 1999 Solectria Force. The
              > new gearbox did NOT have a fitting for the mechanical speedometer
              > cable.

              Doug,

              What controller do you have? The Brusa models have outputs for
              electronic speedometer and odometer.

              Actually the speedo output is a tach output but with a single speed
              transaxle the two are functionally identical. The output is 0.25
              volts per 1000 rpm. Just do the math and add an appropriate meter and
              voltage divider.

              The odo output is a little trickier. The AMC produces a pulse per
              100km. It has to be calibrated with an internal switch according to
              the transaxle ratio. The calibration instructions are in the manual;
              read them carefully. I don't know how much current the odo output can
              sink, so if you use a mechanical counter I suppose it would be prudent
              to use a buffer of some kind.

              On the later AMC 320/325 controllers the speedometer output is on pin
              7 of the DB25 connector (+ with respect to ground return on pin 1) and
              the odo output is on pin 22, with same ground return as the speedo.

              On the earlier AMC 200/300 controllers the speedo output is pins 17 &
              18 on the 26 pin IDC type connector, and the odo output is pins 23 & 24.

              The Brusa AMC controllers have a few other functions that Solectria
              seldom or never made use of. For example, they can be configured with
              a "tempomat" switch - cruise control.

              You can find an AMC320/325 manual in the files section of this group.
              An AMC200/300 manual (in German only, sorry) is available in the EVDL
              library ( http://www.evdl.org/lib ).

              Hope this helps.
            • Will Beckett (PCSolutions)
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 6 9:15 AM
                Isn�t the AMC the controller with the three fans on the top? I think that
                was the most recent. Doug�s car is in the production run and mine and has
                the fans on the side, if I remember correctly. Isn�t that a Brusa
                controller?

                -Will

                > Last year, I replaced the gearbox on my 1999 Solectria Force. The
                > new gearbox did NOT have a fitting for the mechanical speedometer
                > cable.

                Doug,

                What controller do you have? The Brusa models have outputs for
                electronic speedometer and odometer.

                Actually the speedo output is a tach output but with a single speed
                transaxle the two are functionally identical. The output is 0.25
                volts per 1000 rpm. Just do the math and add an appropriate meter and
                voltage divider.

                The odo output is a little trickier. The AMC produces a pulse per
                100km. It has to be calibrated with an internal switch according to
                the transaxle ratio. The calibration instructions are in the manual;
                read them carefully. I don't know how much current the odo output can
                sink, so if you use a mechanical counter I suppose it would be prudent
                to use a buffer of some kind.

                On the later AMC 320/325 controllers the speedometer output is on pin
                7 of the DB25 connector (+ with respect to ground return on pin 1) and
                the odo output is on pin 22, with same ground return as the speedo.

                On the earlier AMC 200/300 controllers the speedo output is pins 17 &
                18 on the 26 pin IDC type connector, and the odo output is pins 23 & 24.

                The Brusa AMC controllers have a few other functions that Solectria
                seldom or never made use of. For example, they can be configured with
                a "tempomat" switch - cruise control.

                You can find an AMC320/325 manual in the files section of this group.
                An AMC200/300 manual (in German only, sorry) is available in the EVDL
                library ( HYPERLINK "http://www.evdl.org/lib"http://www.evdl.org/lib ).

                Hope this helps.

                Checked by AVG.
                7:53 AM