Re: [solectria_ev] Re: Mark 94 Solectria

  • Ken Olum
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11 7:38 AM
      If you car is like my 1998, the batteries are in closed and heated
      boxes, and so you can only use gel or agm batteries.

      Ken Olum
    • Arthur Marquardt
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 12 12:47 AM
        Hi all:

        My 1995 S-10 has 24 12VDC Marine Deep Cycle Group 27 Wet Cell batteries. Only 20 fit into the battery compartments so I had to make a platform on the top of front battery box to hold the extra four needed to make 144V DC nominal. The setup was originally 120V. I would not recommend the marine deep cycle batteries for the following reasons.
        First they are not as good as deep cycle batteries these batteries are to be used ,abused and discarded they are used in boats often for trolling they are not typically in long strings. Second they tend to leak acid like crazy much worse than say Trojans T105's or T125's whatever you get avoid anything except individual filler caps.
        Third you have to water them, it is not as easy you think remember some fill ports will be hard to get to and do you really want to your lift truck bed and remove all the cables remove the controllers and the cover then check and accurately fill 90 fill ports once a month and that's just the back? It kinda takes the fun of an electric vehicle. Oh! did I mention you will destroy at least one pair of clothes from acid unless you are care full and cover yourself head to foot in rain-gear.
        Fourth you must clean your batteries or the acid will create stray voltage paths this is worse in all floodeds.
        Fifth you must equalize wet batteries because the voltages stray from cell to cell as they stratify. This is not easy to do correctly.
        Sixth It is correct to say that the battery compartments were not designed for wet batteries the acid slowly contaminates and melts most types of insulation and destroys the battery heaters if you have them, I know it killed mine.

        The only upside to marine deep cycle batteries is they are cheaper and if you are just starting out you will not feel so bad when kill them.
        If you are lucky and get them sale at a place like Sam's Club and you get a warranty you take them and get your money back or a new battery.
        A lot of the people who build scratch Ev's are building their own boxes and can make accommodations for things like accessibility and acid contamination and insulate the outside of the box still most I have seen use quality wet deep cycles like Trojans.
        I do agree with the concept of fewer batteries with more amp-hours. The original S-10 had 36 Hawkers which are not as good 24 Decka Dominators which Solectria changed to later. With fewer batteries there are less cables and less packaging and a little more power/ dollar. Mine are arraigned series parallel however some people buddy pair the batteries theirs claiming it reduces voltage sag under load. The only advantage to smaller batteries is you can get more creative in arraignment instead of 5 group 27s in the front box you could get 12 of the smaller hawkers by stacking.

      • Will Beckett (PCSolutions)
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 12 7:36 AM
          On March 27th, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) is scheduled to
          vote on a change to their Zero Emissions Vehicle (ZEV) program that could
          delay production EVs another decade. The Electric Auto Association urges
          you to take action to make California aware that you want production EVs
          from the major automakers, back on the roads. We have set up a website to
          help. The ZEV goals were once 2% in 1998, 3% in 2001, and 10% in 2003, but
          later the program was put off a decade.

          Now as the end of that decade draws near, CARB staff proposes to delay
          another decade. Staff calls for 840 vehicles per year (0.04%) in 2012
          through 2014. The old 1998 target is fifty times what is now being proposed
          for 16 years later. In 2015 CARB proposes only 0.4%. The 2012 goals do not
          even approach the number of vehicles previously shown to be possible.

          The EAA does not normally use email except for membership reminders.
          Because of urgent upcoming decision that may affect EVs to years to come, we
          are sending this email to ask that you join a low-traffic mailing list that
          the EAA will use to alert you to developments where your emails, letters,
          faxes, phone calls, etc. could make a big difference. Participation is
          optional, but please do consider joining and help us advocate for EVs in
          important battles, such the one that will be decided on 3/27.

          For further information about what you can do to let California know you
          want a meaningful ZEV program, please visit:

          HYPERLINK "http://www.eaaev.org/action/"http://www.eaaev.org/action/

          This page also has details on how to join our EV-advocacy mailing list to
          get future notices.

          Sincerely,

          Ron Freund

          Checked by AVG.
          7:27 PM

        • packratdaddy
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 12 6:47 PM
            Hello ,

            Thanks for all the great responses.
            I'd like to respond to a few points.

            1. Yes , I do have battery boxes with heaters.
            I found that Hawker SBS60 would fit. They are just taller but
            shorter in width and length.
            Any feedback on Hawker batteries ? I saw a negative comment.
            Any others ?
            My car has Interstate DCS - 50U AGM's (DEAD???)
            Solectria originally used Sonnenschein in this car.

            2. My car is uses a Gates belt.
            I was told by a tech that they never break !

            3. If you are on the West Coast check out Industrial Liquidators of
            San Diego. They have surplus batteries .
            Some are about $35. I'm looking for something similiar on the
            eastcoast.

            4. I have a pile of Solectria tech info and bulletins.
            Finally got a copy of the Massachusetts Electric Vehicle
            Demonstration Program 1995.
            I plan to scan them and post them as PDF's.
            It may take a while to get that done.

            5. On Battery load testers....
            Should I use a 100 amp or 50 amp load tester ?
            I have Group 22 batteries.
            Which are about 8.5" Tall x 5.5" Wide x 9" Long

            Thanks,

            MArk
          • umar
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 12 7:03 PM
              On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, packratdaddy wrote:

              > 2. My car is uses a Gates belt.
              > I was told by a tech that they never break !

              I've had two break so far in my (1992) car.

              Rob
            • packratdaddy
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 12 7:17 PM
                Where do you get your new belts from ?
              • mike young
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 14 3:55 AM
                  i got them at michigan belts website in the past and they were very helpful on the phone to identify the belt. mike young