96 Force works intermittantly

  • Ray Darby
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24 9:29 PM
      My '96 Force has a problem with intermittant operation. It will run fine for the first 5 or 6 miles before the motor stops moving it (except for the slow, low-growl creep typical of a force with a speed sensor problem). This happens whether I'm going to town (all downhill) or coming home (all uphill). If it sits for 2 or 3 minutes it will usually take off again.

      I replace the speed sensor board and calibrated it carefully (it was apparently the last one Solectria had on the shelf and the connectors had been clipped off, leading me to suspect it might be a "intermittent speed sensor board" like the one in the 98 Force Jerry Porhorsky just wrote about). I fixed the "flakey connections" under the dash and replaced the DB-9 connector under the hood but the problem continues.

      Do these symptoms sound like those others may have had with the speed sensor? Are they repairable? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

      Ray Darby,
      -2000 Ford Ranger EV
      -1996 Solectria Force EV
      -1983 Grumman EV

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25 7:20 PM
        I had a problem like that once and it was the one of the connectors on
        the three large wires going from the controller to the motor. When it
        was in its dead spell I jacking one front wheels off the ground and
        asked some one to push the throttle down. I then spun the wheel and it
        stated to turn on it own. Then with a clamp on amp meter I found no
        amperage in one wire.

        Eric fisher

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Darby" <raydarby@...> wrote:

        > My '96 Force has a problem with intermittant operation. It will run
        fine for the first 5 or 6 miles before the motor stops moving it
        (except for the slow, low-growl creep typical of a force with a speed
        sensor problem). This happens whether I'm going to town (all
        downhill) or coming home (all uphill). If it sits for 2 or 3 minutes
        it will usually take off again.

        > I replace the speed sensor board and calibrated it carefully (it was
        apparently the last one Solectria had on the shelf and the connectors
        had been clipped off, leading me to suspect it might be a
        "intermittent speed sensor board" like the one in the 98 Force Jerry
        Porhorsky just wrote about). I fixed the "flakey connections" under
        the dash and replaced the DB-9 connector under the hood but the
        problem continues.

        > Do these symptoms sound like those others may have had with the
        speed sensor? Are they repairable? Any suggestions would be much
        appreciated.

        > Ray Darby,
        > -2000 Ford Ranger EV
        > -1996 Solectria Force EV
        > -1983 Grumman EV

      • Ray Darby
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28 12:08 PM
          Thanks Eric!

          I presume you're referring to the big red, white & blue Anderson connectors (shrouded by a metal fabric with a zipper and zip ties)? Did you replace the connectors or just clean them and put them back together?

          - Ray

          I had a problem like that once and it was the one of the connectors on
          the three large wires going from the controller to the motor. When it
          was in its dead spell I jacking one front wheels off the ground and
          asked some one to push the throttle down. I then spun the wheel and it
          stated to turn on it own. Then with a clamp on amp meter I found no
          amperage in one wire.

          Eric fisher

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Darby" <raydarby@...> wrote:

          > My '96 Force has a problem with intermittant operation. It will run
          fine for the first 5 or 6 miles before the motor stops moving it
          (except for the slow, low-growl creep typical of a force with a speed
          sensor problem). This happens whether I'm going to town (all
          downhill) or coming home (all uphill). If it sits for 2 or 3 minutes
          it will usually take off again.

          > I replace the speed sensor board and calibrated it carefully (it was
          apparently the last one Solectria had on the shelf and the connectors
          had been clipped off, leading me to suspect it might be a
          "intermittent speed sensor board" like the one in the 98 Force Jerry
          Porhorsky just wrote about). I fixed the "flakey connections" under
          the dash and replaced the DB-9 connector under the hood but the
          problem continues.

          > Do these symptoms sound like those others may have had with the
          speed sensor? Are they repairable? Any suggestions would be much
          appreciated.

          > Ray Darby,
          > -2000 Ford Ranger EV
          > -1996 Solectria Force EV
          > -1983 Grumman EV

        • ehsif727
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28 10:58 PM
            Yes those are the three connectors. I pushed the connector back
            together, it was slipping apart.