RE: [solectria_ev] 1992 Solectria Motor Type

  • Peter Fletcher
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 29, 2008
      I'm curious what you Brusa Amc320 looks like. My charger is still being repaired.
      Waiting on a new transformer core.
      Yet my charger is Just labeled Solectria?...
      I have priced other chargers for 144 volt system about 600$
      Have you seen any Chargers Good for a Force 144 system.
      Is your force on the ev album?
      What kind of Battaries do you have?
      Could you put up a pic of your motor area? and or the charger?
      Sorry for all the questions?
      I just Still havent met many people who have a force that close to my 1993 Force
      I have a really diferent motor than everyone else.
      Have you ever seen a Permanent magnit motor in a Force?
      thanks For the Info!!

      To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.comFrom: gjc0@...: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:56:36 -0500Subject: [solectria_ev] 1992 Solectria Motor Type

      Fletch:My 1992 Solectria Force has a 23 horsepower three phase induction motor driven by a Brusa AMC320 off of a 144 volt battery pack.Sincerely,Gary?Carlsongjc0@... -----Original Message-----From: Peter Fletcher <fletchfilms@...>To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.comSent: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 9:25 pmSubject: RE: [solectria_ev] Gel Battery Suppier Recommendations Anyone?Curious What tyoe of motor is in the 1992 Solectria? FletchTo: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.comFrom: dbswann4@...: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:54:55 -0800Subject: Re: [solectria_ev] Gel Battery Suppier Recommendations Anyone?I got a respectable deal from a DECA supplier of industrial batteries. Bill S----- Original Message ----From: Gerard (Gary) Carlson <gjc0@...>To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.comSent: Monday, January 28, 2008 7:16:50 PMSubject: [solectria_ev] Gel Battery Suppier Recommendations Anyone?Greetings all:It looks like my 1992 Solectria Force is going to limp to the 30,000 mile finish line with a set of 12 MK/Deka/EastPenn 8G27 gel cells.Late last year, Ken Olum bought a set from Ben Gorman at? www.altenergystore. com?.As I go shopping for batteries, does anyone else have a supplier that they recommend?Ken:? any updates on your battery buying experience?? How many did you buy?Sincerely,Gary?Carlson1992 Solectria ForceID License:? AMPEATRgjc0@... ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - http://webmail. aol.com[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed] __________________________________________________________Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser!http://biggestloser.msn.com/[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]__________________________________________________________More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - http://webmail.aol.com[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • ehsif727
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 10, 2008
        If you are still looking for batteries I am about to order some
        Silicone Batteries from China and could get them at cost for you if
        you promise to blog your results here. I have them in my 1996 Force
        and it has only 3,000 miles on them so far so no one knows how long
        they will last but they are designed specifically for electric cars.

        Eric Fisher

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 10, 2008
          Eric

          What are the physical dimensions, weight and capacities of the various battery sizes offered that would be suitable for an EV?

          Stephen Taylor

        • Kenneth Martin
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 10, 2008
            Are they a drop in replacement, or do the charging profiles, etc.,
            require modification. What is approximate cost per battery?

            Ken Martin
            2001 Force
            On Feb 10, 2008, at 1:58 PM, ehsif727 wrote:

            > If you are still looking for batteries I am about to order some
            > Silicone Batteries from China and could get them at cost for you if
            > you promise to blog your results here. I have them in my 1996 Force
            > and it has only 3,000 miles on them so far so no one knows how long
            > they will last but they are designed specifically for electric cars.
            >
            > Eric Fisher

          • Noel P. Luneau
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
              Just a note that there is a 1999 Force on eBay for sale. 12.5K buy it
              now.

              Noel L.

              1997 Force

              # 503 2009 Aptera 1h Reservation

            • Noel P. Luneau
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
                Hi Eric,

                I have shelved my NiMH project due to lack of time, so I may be
                interested in a set of replacement batteries... what is the pack cost?

                Thanks,

                Noel L.

                P.S. Anyone want to buy 28 NiMH Ovonic batteries?

                What are the physical dimensions, weight and capacities of the various
                battery sizes offered that would be suitable for an EV?

                Stephen Taylor

              • Gerard (Gary) Carlson
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
                  Eric:

                  Thank you for the Silicone Battery Offer, but I plan to stick with MK/Deka/EastPenn.? Currently American Battery Company out of Hayward, CA is quoting $191.75 each for the MK 8G27 gel batteries plus $191.00 to get them to Boise.

                  If anyone knows a better source for MK/Deka/EastPenn (this side of the Mississippi) let me know.

                  Sincerely,

                  Gary Carlson
                  1992 Solectria Force
                  ID License:? AMPEATR
                  gjc0@...

                  If you are still looking for batteries I am about to order some
                  Silicone Batteries from China and could get them at cost for you if
                  you promise to blog your results here. I have them in my 1996 Force
                  and it has only 3,000 miles on them so far so no one knows how long
                  they will last but they are designed specifically for electric cars.

                  Eric Fisher

                  > It looks like my 1992 Solectria Force is going to limp to the
                  30,000 mile finish line with a set of 12 MK/Deka/EastPenn 8G27 gel cells.

                  > Late last year, Ken Olum bought a set from Ben Gorman at?
                  www.altenergystore.com?.
                  > Ken:? any updates on your battery buying experience?? How many
                  did you buy?

                  > 30K is pretty impressive. They certainly don't owe you anything
                  > beyond that.
                  >
                  > I had 1 of my 8G27s fail after 16K miles, and replaced it with one
                  > from altenergystore.com. We've put another 1500 miles on the pack
                  > since then, and everything is fine, although the pack is now pretty
                  > sluggish with 35AH removed even without highway driving. (With new
                  > batteries, I think 42 was no problem even on a cold day.) So it looks
                  > like replacing the single battery was the right choice.
                  >
                  > You should see if EastPenn will deal with you directly and give you an
                  > attractive price for a whole pack. If not I would go with Ben Gorman.
                  >
                  > Ken

                • Arthur Marquardt

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
                      Noel I have two sizes that might fit, they are 149 and 210 dollars
                      per battery. Which year Force do you have.

                      Eric Fisher

                      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Noel P. Luneau" <nluneau@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hi Eric,
                      >

                      > I have shelved my NiMH project due to lack of time, so I may be
                      > interested in a set of replacement batteries... what is the pack
                      cost?

                      > Thanks,
                      >

                      > Noel L.
                      >

                      > P.S. Anyone want to buy 28 NiMH Ovonic batteries?

                    • ehsif727
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
                        Stephen Try my site at www.sbusa.weby.org and klick on the electric
                        vehicle tab and it will give you the battery sizes there
                        Eric Fisher

                        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Taylor <sparrow262@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Eric
                        >
                        > What are the physical dimensions, weight and capacities of the
                        various battery sizes offered that would be suitable for an EV?

                        > Stephen Taylor

                      • Peter Fletcher
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
                          I have a 1993 Force--- What Voltage is the 149$ Battary--- I currently have 9 12 volt optima's
                          and 3 old ball battaries in my force for testing-144 volt system--curious about your battaries?

                          To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.comFrom: ehsif727@...: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 06:24:32 +0000Subject: [solectria_ev] Re: Silicone Batteries - NiMH batteries available

                          Noel I have two sizes that might fit, they are 149 and 210 dollars per battery. Which year Force do you have.Eric Fisher--- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Noel P. Luneau" <nluneau@...> wrote:>> Hi Eric,> > > > I have shelved my NiMH project due to lack of time, so I may be> interested in a set of replacement batteries... what is the pack cost?> > > > Thanks,> > > > Noel L.> > > > P.S. Anyone want to buy 28 NiMH Ovonic batteries?> > > > > > From: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com [mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com]> On Behalf Of Stephen Taylor> Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:02 PM> To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com> Subject: [solectria_ev] Silicone Batteries> > > > Eric> > What are the physical dimensions, weight and capacities of the various> battery sizes offered that would be suitable for an EV?> > Stephen Taylor> > ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!> Search.> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]> > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 13, 2008
                            Gary,
                            By better I assume you mean cheaper. I'm finding most East Penn price
                            quotes are above that.

                            Mike Rydjord
                            97 Force

                            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard (Gary) Carlson "
                            <gjc0@...> wrote:

                            > Eric:
                            >

                            > Thank you for the Silicone Battery Offer, but I plan to stick with
                            MK/Deka/EastPenn.? Currently American Battery Company out of Hayward,
                            CA is quoting $191.75 each for the MK 8G27 gel batteries plus $191.00
                            to get them to Boise.

                            > If anyone knows a better source for MK/Deka/EastPenn (this side of
                            the Mississippi) let me know.

                            > Sincerely,
                            >
                            > Gary Carlson
                            > 1992 Solectria Force
                            > ID License:? AMPEATR
                            > gjc0@...

                          • ehsif727
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 13, 2008
                              The 149 dollar batteries are 12 volt and should fit your car. The
                              batteries weight is 58 lbs and they measure 10.2 inch. long x 6.6 inch
                              wide x 8.5 inch tall .

                              Eric Fisher

                              --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fletcher <fletchfilms@...>
                              wrote:

                              > I have a 1993 Force--- What Voltage is the 149$ Battary--- I
                              currently have 9 12 volt optima's
                              > and 3 old ball battaries in my force for testing-144 volt
                              system--curious about your battaries?

                              > To: solectria_ev@...: ehsif727@...: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 06:24:32
                              +0000Subject: [solectria_ev] Re: Silicone Batteries - NiMH batteries
                              available

                              > Noel I have two sizes that might fit, they are 149 and 210 dollars
                              per battery. Which year Force do you have.Eric Fisher--- In
                              solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Noel P. Luneau" <nluneau@> wrote:>> Hi
                              Eric,> > > > I have shelved my NiMH project due to lack of time, so I
                              may be> interested in a set of replacement batteries... what is the
                              pack cost?> > > > Thanks,> > > > Noel L.> > > > P.S. Anyone want to
                              buy 28 NiMH Ovonic batteries?> > > > > > From:
                              solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com [mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com]> On
                              Behalf Of Stephen Taylor> Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:02 PM> To:
                              solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com> Subject: [solectria_ev] Silicone
                              capacities of the various> battery sizes offered that would be
                              suitable for an EV?> > Stephen Taylor> >
                              message have been removed]>

                            • sparrow262
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 14, 2008
                                Eric

                                What is the charging profile like? Does the current charger profile
                                need to be modified? Even if the profile doesn't need to be chnaged is
                                there a better profile that can be used?

                                Stephen Taylor
                              • ehsif727
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 14, 2008
                                  Stephen The charge profile for a normal sealed battery is Ok You
                                  could change it to a faster charge rate which would require a much
                                  larger charger. This is often done with Silicone Batteries because
                                  with the low resistance you can charge the battery at twice the rate
                                  of other batteries when holding the input voltage at a limited but
                                  high rate. --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "sparrow262"
                                  <sparrow262@...> wrote:

                                  > Eric
                                  >
                                  > What is the charging profile like? Does the current charger profile
                                  > need to be modified? Even if the profile doesn't need to be chnaged is
                                  > there a better profile that can be used?
                                  >
                                  > Stephen Taylor

                                • Bill Swann
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 14, 2008
                                    Sheldon Battery ((713) 868-2777)in Houston is charging $144 + Tax
                                    for the DECA 8G27. Dont know about shipping.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 16, 2008
                                      Talked to them on Friday (2/15/08) price is now 162+. He said you just
                                      picked up some batteries and price has gone up since you ordered. We
                                      had a nice chat. Still a good source.
                                      Mike

                                      Mike--- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Swann" <dbswann4@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Sheldon Battery ((713) 868-2777)in Houston is charging $144 + Tax
                                      > for the DECA 8G27. Dont know about shipping.
                                      >
                                      > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "ldr214" <replytome@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Gary,
                                      > > By better I assume you mean cheaper. I'm finding most East Penn
                                      > price
                                      > > quotes are above that.
                                      > >
                                      > > Mike Rydjord
                                      > > 97 Force
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard (Gary) Carlson "
                                      > > <gjc0@> wrote:
                                      > > >

                                      > > > Eric:
                                      > > >

                                      > > > Thank you for the Silicone Battery Offer, but I plan to stick with
                                      > > MK/Deka/EastPenn.? Currently American Battery Company out of
                                      > Hayward,
                                      > > CA is quoting $191.75 each for the MK 8G27 gel batteries plus
                                      > $191.00
                                      > > to get them to Boise.
                                      > > >

                                      > > > If anyone knows a better source for MK/Deka/EastPenn (this side of
                                      > > the Mississippi) let me know.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Sincerely,
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Gary Carlson
                                      > > > 1992 Solectria Force
                                      > > > ID License:? AMPEATR
                                      > > > gjc0@

                                    • Noel P. Luneau
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 20, 2008
                                        It's a 1997 Force.

                                        wrote:

                                        > Hi Eric,
                                        >

                                        > I have shelved my NiMH project due to lack of time, so I may be
                                        > interested in a set of replacement batteries... what is the pack
                                        cost?

                                        > Thanks,
                                        >

                                        > Noel L.
                                        >

                                        > P.S. Anyone want to buy 28 NiMH Ovonic batteries?

                                      • Noel P. Luneau
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 23, 2008
                                          Just a note that there is a 1995 Force on eBay for sale. 22,486 miles
                                          and being offered by The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, State Surplus
                                          Property Office.

                                          Current price $1,134.16 with 13 bids.

                                          The description says operable but new battery pack needed.

                                          Noel L.

                                          1997 Force
                                          # 503 2009 Aptera 1h Reservation
                                          Mulling over a Phoenix Motorcars SUV purchase
                                        • Brett Kelien
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 24, 2008
                                            Yeah currnetly I am the high bidder but I don't figure
                                            that is going to last the rest of the auction.

                                            Looking for last minute shopping deals?