Re: [force_ev] What's best for my battery life?

  • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2001
      I recommend charging as soon as possible after you have used 5% or more
      of the pack's charge. That means plug in at work, at lunch, at work
      again, and at night.

      One strategy which I experimented with on another EV is charging only to
      80% (tops) during opportunity charging. I think that the highest stress
      on the battery is during equalization, the next highest is absorption
      (the last 20%) and the least stressful is the bulk phase (0 to 80% state
      of charge). Bulk charging is also where charging is for all intents and
      purposes 100% efficient with virtually no energy wasted in gassing or
      battery heating. So I think the ideal would be to have a special charge
      profile for opportunity charging that shuts off the charger when it
      reaches the end of the bulk phase -- probably 14.8-15v per module for
      flooded batteries, or 14.3v per module for the East Penn / Sonnenschein
      gel batteries.

      Lacking that, I think that for longest battery life, you should plug it
      in whenever you can.

      David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
      1991 Solectria Force 144vac
      1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
      1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
      1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
      Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
      thou knowest." Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.