What's best for my battery life?

  • umarc@hippogryph.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2001
      I drive 6 miles to work every weekday and usually come home for lunch.
      Should I:

      a) drive to work, charge, drive home, drive back to work, charge, drive
      home, and charge again? or...

      b) drive to work, drive home, charge (but there is only time for a partial
      charge), drive back to work, drive home, and charge? or...

      c) drive to work, drive home, drive to work, drive home, and only then
      charge?

      My Force is a 1992 model equipped with 12 Interstate SRM-27 flooded
      batteries.

      Rob Landry
      umarc@...
    • BECKETT,WILL (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2001
        I would be interested to hear what others say but I would do C. I only do
        opportunity charging for the public to see the car charging. I think it is
        better not to do a complete charge while at work. If you need a little more
        range for the day, I would charge at home for lunch.

        -Will
        I drive 6 miles to work every weekday and usually come home for lunch.
        Should I:

        a) drive to work, charge, drive home, drive back to work, charge, drive
        home, and charge again? or...

        b) drive to work, drive home, charge (but there is only time for a partial
        charge), drive back to work, drive home, and charge? or...

        c) drive to work, drive home, drive to work, drive home, and only then
        charge?

        My Force is a 1992 model equipped with 12 Interstate SRM-27 flooded
        batteries.

        Rob Landry
        umarc@...

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.1566667.3122753.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050832
        69:HM/A=766942/R=0/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3225> Click Here!

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.1566667.3122753.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=1705083269:HM/A=766942/rand=594178348>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • gardnerh@juno.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2001
          IMHO based upon my lead-acid battery experiences, both flooded and AGM sealed batteries seem to love any opportunity charge providing of course that the charger knows when to switch to trickle mode.

          I have a 25 mile range car - originally supplied with T-105 but now runs on Optima D-750 YellowTops which contain much less energy when fully charged than the T-105s did. So I get roughly half the range. Charging whenever I can is of paramount importance if I am to get through the day. The pack is running well and has been since about March of 1997. The trick is to never let the SOC drop too much below 50%. So I can drive the 7.5 miles to my office and back without charging. But driving another 10 miles takes the pack low enough that I'd prefer an opportunity charge if the last 5 miles do not end in my driveway.
        • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2001
            I recommend charging as soon as possible after you have used 5% or more
            of the pack's charge. That means plug in at work, at lunch, at work
            again, and at night.

            One strategy which I experimented with on another EV is charging only to
            80% (tops) during opportunity charging. I think that the highest stress
            on the battery is during equalization, the next highest is absorption
            (the last 20%) and the least stressful is the bulk phase (0 to 80% state
            of charge). Bulk charging is also where charging is for all intents and
            purposes 100% efficient with virtually no energy wasted in gassing or
            battery heating. So I think the ideal would be to have a special charge
            profile for opportunity charging that shuts off the charger when it
            reaches the end of the bulk phase -- probably 14.8-15v per module for
            flooded batteries, or 14.3v per module for the East Penn / Sonnenschein
            gel batteries.

            Lacking that, I think that for longest battery life, you should plug it
            in whenever you can.

            David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
            1991 Solectria Force 144vac
            1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
            1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
            1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
            Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
            thou knowest." Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.