Solectria Questions

  • a_hous@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2001
      1. Is this board still active?
      2. I'm very interested in getting an EV, which seems very difficult,
      even in So Cal. I tried contacting Solectria for info and they said
      they're selling the car business to another company. Anyone know
      anything about this?
      3. What does a new Force cost? Does it include a charger?
      4. What kind of warranty is provided? Is service available in San
      Diego area?

      Thanks!
      Andrew
    • BECKETT,WILL (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2001
        It is my understanding that the new cost is about $9k higher. After
        California incentives is works out to about $29K. This may come down if the
        new company starts doing a good volume business. Solectria use to sell the
        car for about $33k and with current incentives this ended up at about $21K.

        The specs are on their web site. www.solectria.com
        <http://www.solectria.com> under the Force.

        Yes it has a very high quality charger that is 3.3KWatts and will run off of
        110 or 220vac. Let me know if you have any questions after you have looked
        at the specs. I wrote up an article in the most recent Current Events
        (newsletter for EAA) on the Force, that you might like to look at.

        - Will

        Will Beckett
        Contact info. ( https://ecardfile.com/id/will_beckett
        <https://ecardfile.com/id/will_beckett> )

        Become a member or donate to the Electric Auto Association, it's tax
        deductible.
        http://home.pacbell.net/beckettw/member-paypal.htm
        <http://home.pacbell.net/beckettw/member-paypal.htm>

        One third of the power used in our home, comes from the sun!
        http://www.geocities.com/broadway/stage/9737/eaa-forms/pvbecketthp78.pdf
        <http://www.geocities.com/broadway/stage/9737/eaa-forms/pvbecketthp78.pdf>

        1999 Solectria Force, 156v
        e-scooter (homemade) 24v
        e-rototiller (homemade) 220vac, 1 1/2 hp
        Electric Auto Association, Silicon Valley Chapter http://eaasv.org
        <http://eaasv.org/>
        Barron Park Association http://www.bpaonline.org <http://www.bpaonline.org/>

        PTA, Environmental Action http://www.ala-laary.com/core.htm
        <http://www.ala-laary.com/core.htm>
        WestBay Opera http://www.wbopera.org <http://www.wbopera.org/>

        2. I'm very interested in getting an EV, which seems very difficult,
        even in So Cal. I tried contacting Solectria for info and they said
        they're selling the car business to another company. Anyone know
        anything about this?
        3. What does a new Force cost? Does it include a charger?
        4. What kind of warranty is provided? Is service available in San
        Diego area?

        Thanks!
        Andrew

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • John McCain
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2001
          At 06:56 PM 8/12/01 +0000, you wrote:
          >1. Is this board still active?
          Yes, but not very much traffic lately. It comes alive when someone has a
          question.

          >2. I'm very interested in getting an EV, which seems very difficult,
          >even in So Cal. I tried contacting Solectria for info and they said
          >they're selling the car business to another company. Anyone know
          >anything about this?
          My understanding is that Solectria is simply out of the EV
          conversion/manufacturing business and now only selling components, mostly
          to OEMs. I hated to see that, and would be glad to know that someone is
          taking up their EV manufacturing/conversion business. I like my '92 Solectria.

          >3. What does a new Force cost? Does it include a charger?
          All Forces that I've seen had on-board chargers. Mine cost about $40,000
          new in '92.

          >4. What kind of warranty is provided? Is service available in San
          >Diego area?
          No Idea.

          >Thanks!
          >Andrew

          '92 Solectria Force
          http://www.mccainhome.com/ev
        • Noel Adams
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2001
            The cost of the new Solectria Force depends on the type of batteries that you get. The basic PbA model comes in around $27,000. I don't think there is a dealer in Southern California for service but there is a dealer locator on the Solectria web site that will tell you for sure.

            There are a few alternatives if you live in the San Diego area.

            Pearson Ford have just received 12 Th!nk cities which are worth checking out.

            There is also the American Electric Automobile Company in San Diego and they do a Hyndai conversion.

            If you have your own company (even a sole propriotorship) or can get a vehicle through your work, Toyota have made a bunch or RAV4 EVs available to fleets in Southern California. There are also rumors that they will be leasing to the public before the end of the year. Email me off list if you have an problems with Toyota fleet sales and I can give you a contact who deals with the RAV4 EV.

            If you are handy with car maintenance and electrical systems there are also a number of Corbin Sparrows available at Environmental Motors in Glendale. I wouldn't recommend them though if you are not able to work on vehicles yourself as then need a lot of TLC.

            On Sun, 12 August 2001, a_hous@... wrote:

            > 1. Is this board still active?
            > 2. I'm very interested in getting an EV, which seems very difficult,
            > even in So Cal. I tried contacting Solectria for info and they said
            > they're selling the car business to another company. Anyone know
            > anything about this?
            > 3. What does a new Force cost? Does it include a charger?
            > 4. What kind of warranty is provided? Is service available in San
            > Diego area?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Andrew

            http://www.shopping.altavista.com
          • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13, 2001
              On 13 Aug 2001, at 9:32, Noel Adams wrote:

              > The cost of the new Solectria Force depends on the type of batteries that
              > you get. The basic PbA model comes in around $27,000.

              I read somewhere recently that since Solectria can no longer get Metro
              gliders (w/o drive trains) from GM, the base price has gone up to $41k.
              According to the source (wish I could find it now) if you want one, you
              have to put down a 75% deposit. When Solectria have some number of
              orders, I think six, they start building them. So the wait could be
              anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

              Solectria survived largely on sales to utilities and government entities,
              but with the availability of such major-brand leased fleet vehicles as
              the RAV-4EV, I suspect that their interest in the Force has declined
              quite a bit. That's reportedly the reason that Solectria is getting out
              of the conversion business.

              Someone else mentioned that they were selling the business to someone
              else. I'm not so sure that's a good sign, though. Dozens of conversion
              companies have come and gone in the last 30 years or so. It's a very
              difficult business to operate successfully. Without Solectria's business
              savvy (they are true survivors), it'll be an uphill struggle for them,
              I'm afraid.

              There are a few conversion companies hanging in there, but none others
              with a track record that I can think of in this country (someone
              mentioned another attempt in California; let's hope they last). There
              are a few fairly long-lived efforts overseas: Elcat in Finland; Daihatsu
              in Japan; in Europe, Fiat, Renault, and Peugeot. Peugeot is arguably the
              most successful, with something over 6,000 106 Electrics sold to date.
              Unfortunately they're not imported to the US.

              I'd like to see the Force continue to be available. It's a darn good
              conversion -- one of the best I've seen. It's freeway capable, not a 25
              mph NEV as many existing and proposed EVs are. You can actually buy it
              (uh, maybe), not just lease it. There's no telling yet whether Ford will
              actually bring the Think to market (let's hope so), and the Sparrow has a
              lot of yet-unrealized potential. But right now the Force's future is a
              pretty big question mark.

              David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
              1991 Solectria Force 144vac
              1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
              1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
              1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
              Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
              thou knowest." Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.