[solectria_ev] delayed charging

  • Joel Meyn
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 17, 2007
      I have been experiencing a delay from when I plug in the charger until the charger starts running. For the last month (at least) there is a 5 minute or more wait for the charger to start running. I was more concerned recently when the car sat all night without charging. I drove the ICE-berg (white Mazda mpv) to work and when I returned I found that the car had achieved full charge unobserved.
      1997 Force: The car has 27,000 miles, (I bought the car at 8,000 on odometer) the pack is original as far as I know. My daily drive is 20 to 25 miles round trip, no 220v available at worksite so no charging done there. economy mode, highest speed is 45, and route is pretty level.
      Any insights for me? should I just keep driving, or is something going to break?
      thanks,
      Joel Meyn

    • Gordon Stallings
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 2007
        Joel,
        What kind of charger do you have? My 1999 Force uses the BC3KW
        charger. One of my notes indicates that this charger was only put
        into the 1999 cars. However, I'll report some of my notes from phone
        conversations with Solectria Support that took place in 2001/2002.
        Maybe something will be of help to you. I had to replace the charger
        in 2002 (under warranty) because it began exhibiting the symptom you
        have and finally reached a point where it might or might not ever
        start charging. It would also sometimes stop charging with a
        positive number on the meter.

        Proper charger operation:
        One red LED lights when charging starts.
        When the "overcharge" period begins, the second red LED comes on.
        After the 10% overcharge is reached, the green LED (and dash LED)
        comes on.

        To test operation of charger, separate the red Anderson connector and
        then reconnect. If you get the yellow LED immediately, charger is
        working. My sick charger failed this test.
        --
        The BC-3300 is adjustable. The BC-3KW is not.

        --Gordon Stallings--
        Oklahoma