Re: Charger Interlock Relay

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2007
      Bill,
      Are you talking about the chargers ability to keep the car from
      moving? I don't think I would actually call it a relay. On the 97
      there is a black and white wire with a simple connector(check the
      schematic for the color I'm not at home and that is just a memory
      item) on the charger if it is open the car will move if it is closed
      the car won't. The charger closes the connection when you power it.
      You can disconnect it and the car should move as mine did for a couple
      of years with the ng3 installed. The actual locking of the controller
      takes place inside the controller when the connection is closed.

      If everything is working in the controller opening the connection
      should allow the car to move. Jump the connection and it shouldn't.

      BTW the NG3 can be connected to accomplish this action I never
      bothered to do so.

      Hope that is what you were after.

      Mike Rydjord

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Swann" <dbswann4@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know of the location of the charger interlock relay? I
      > need to check it's operation.
      > Thanks, Bill S

    • sorefeets
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2007
        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "ldr214" <replytome@...> wrote:

        > Bill,
        > Are you talking about the chargers ability to keep the car from
        > moving? I don't think I would actually call it a relay. On the 97
        > there is a black and white wire with a simple connector(check the
        > schematic for the color I'm not at home and that is just a memory
        > item) on the charger if it is open the car will move if it is
        > closed the car won't. The charger closes the connection when you
        > power it.

        Yes; the interlock relay is *inside* of the charger. It is simply a
        set of dry contacts that are normally open and close when the charger
        has power.

        To check its operation, plug the charger into AC and then see if you
        can move the car; if not, the interlock is working.

        If you can move the car even with the charger powered up, then
        disconnect the associated pair of wires from the charger and short
        them together. Now see if the car will move under its own power or
        not. If it will, then check for a break in one or both wires between
        the trunk where the charger is and the front of the vehicle (sorry I
        don't recall if they go directly to the engine bay or to one of the
        boxes under the dash, but your manual should have a diagram
        clarifying this).

        If you are suspicious that the interlock may be kicking in randomly
        and disabling the vehicle while driving, then you need to check the
        manual diagrams to find out where the interlock wires go so that you
        can disconnect them at that end (opposite the charger end). If this
        solves the problem, then perhaps the interlock wires are shorting
        together or to the chassis somewhere between the charger and the
        opposite end of the wire.

        It is unlikely that the problem is inside teh charger, but you can
        always start by disconnecting the interlock wires at the charger to
        see if that solves the problem. If so, then there is a problem with
        the interlock relay in the charger.

        Cheers,

        Roger.
      • Bill or Dorothy Swann
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2007
          Thanks for the thoughtful response. Actually, Scott Parisi from Solectria is stepping me through a troubleshooting process to determine why a 180 amp fuse blew in the rear battery box. He asked that I verify that 12 VDC is going to the controller, and that the interlock relay is working properly. When I was looking for wires near the charger, I realized that Solectria did a good thing by identifying the wires by the type of connector. It was easy to sort out which set of wires was for the charger interlock based on the connector type.

          The car also has a dead battery pack, so I am going to make up an extension chord with welding cable and 175 amp Anderson connectors. I will jump a known good pattery pack to the test car for troubleshooting.
          Bill s