168 Volt Operation

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2007
      I have thought many times about what the benefits and negatives might
      be if the Force was a nominal 168 volt vehicle instead of a 156V.

      On the plus sideI come up with:
      Better range at same DOD or less DOD. 5-10%
      Stronger acceleration at higher speed. (this is my primary goal)
      Better performance at low SOC.

      On the negative:
      Adds 70#
      1 battery outside of rear compartment. (I figured passenger side is
      easiest on my car.)
      Unknown longevity issues with equipment. dc/dc; a/c controller etc
      Inability to reprogram AMC325 easily.
      Another unknown weak link

      Here is the equipment list in my 97. I would love to hear other
      opinions on this. Specs are off the data plates in the car.

      Motor-ACgtx20

      Controller-AMC325, specs 34Kw 190V 200A batt 280A motor nom 22Kw 156V

      DC/DC 575, specs 100-200 V 156 nominal, 12V out peak 48A

      a/c controller DC30-156, specs max 3K 190V 13A

      I have asked around at Azure and so far I haven't found anyone to have
      kept any data on operating at 168. They went from 144 to 156 and 168
      or above would seem to be the next logicial step.

      Stephen's Valence Force is operting above the nominal 156 voltage
      range but the chemistry I believe stays in a tighter range.

      The MPS 88 agms that I just put in have a peak operating voltage lower
      than what I observed with the gels. They are certainly not as "stiff."

      Thanks for any thoughts.
      Mike Rydjord
      97 Force
    • theoldcars@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2007
        Hello Mike

        I found adding any weight to the Force really had a huge negative impact.
        The performance really falls off with any extra weight. If you never have
        passengers or carry any extra weight maybe you would find it acceptable.
        Stephen's Valance upgrade weighs less. I notice with lead adding even one hundred
        pounds was very noticeable. Your not that far from doing that. If your
        increase of the voltage was done without adding weight I am sure you would be happy
        with the performance your looking for. However adding more weight may offset
        the extra voltage benefit.

        The other issue is your placement of the battery.

        Don