Re: AGM Batteries

  • ehsif727
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007
      Mike

      I don't understand why you had so much trouble with the installation
      of you batteries in the forward battery compartment, my sillicone
      batteries are wider than the mps88s you installed and went in OK
      except for a mode I did to shorten the upper bracing to accommodate
      the height of my batteries.

      Eric Fisher

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2007
        Eric,
        It is the top part of the Dynasty that makes for the tight fit. Knew
        it was going to be tight but didn't anticipate it being as tight as it
        was. Your getting the 5 Silicon in there was part of my rationale for
        figuring I would have room.

        I measured them all again and the top of Dynasty comes in at
        173+(before shaving, as per their literature.) The removed Deka's,
        with the bottom mount flange shaved, is at 168 top and bottom. So that
        5 mm per unit adds up. The literature on the Silicon SP100-12 shows W
        @ 171 mm. I ended up at about 170-171 same after trimming and that 3mm
        added up also. Very tight.

        One thing for certain batteries don't have much give and they will get
        slightly bigger with age.

        Mike Rydjord

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "ehsif727" <ehsif727@...> wrote:

        > Mike
        >
        > I don't understand why you had so much trouble with the installation
        > of you batteries in the forward battery compartment, my sillicone
        > batteries are wider than the mps88s you installed and went in OK
        > except for a mode I did to shorten the upper bracing to accommodate
        > the height of my batteries.
        >
        > Eric Fisher
        >
        > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "ldr214" <replytome@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I removed my GEL pack this past weekend. Installed a set of Dynasty
        > > MPS88's. This is basicially a grp 27 agm.
        > > http://www.cdstandbypower.com/product/battery/vrla/mps88.html
        > >
        > > I picked this particular battery as it was available at a very low
        > > cost. Cost per mile may not work out to be as good as a new Deka gel
        > > pack. Time will tell. But I needed to replace some sagging batteries.
        > > I had in town range but wasn't happy with high amp load performance,
        > > that is to say 55-70 on the freeway.
        > >
        > > Our EAA chapter has a source for some of these that are coming off of
        > > a relatively short time span use as back up power for the CA 911
        > > dispatchers. All the bad things that can be wrong about using used
        > > batteries might apply here but I have the time to mess with them and
        > > will be keeping pretty go data logs so as to let others know if these
        > > units are worth installing.
        > >
        > > The install was hampered by the fact that this battery measures about
        > > 2mm wider than the Deka's. In the front compartment there just wasn't
        > > any extra room for the added width. Ended up having to shave a small
        > > lip off the upper side of all five front batteries. (The lip sort of
        > > shows in that website picture.) In the rear the box had a bit more
        > > room but there was still some crowding front to back which has made
        > > the cover bolts nearest the trunk latch not line up. That area of the
        > > box flexed some.
        > >
        > > Haven't put very many miles on them yet. Just two 10 mile cycles and
        > > one 18 miler. All low speed econ and normal mode driving. So far the
        > > charge and operating voltages of the group is staying pretty close.
        > > Performance is definitely stronger.
        > >
        > > I had a real strong helper which is my best recommendation when your
        > > doing this. I think we pulled the fronts in and out 3 times before
        > > resolving the fit.
        > >
        > > Anyone have suggestions on changes to the charge profile for the NLG4?
        > > Will be lowering the float voltage some as they are running high.
        > >
        > > I strongly suspect that Powercheqs or the like may be required.
        > >
        > > Mike
        > > 97 Force
        > > 23,650

      • rod864
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "ldr214" <replytome@...> wrote:

          > Anyone have suggestions on changes to the charge profile for the NLG4?

          Looks like you'll need to raise the voltage from (IIRC) 14.1 volts per
          module to about 14.6 volts per module - the spec page at your link
          says 14.4 - 14.8. Otherwise you'll be undercharging them.

          The reason that the East Penn gels run OK without any kind of
          module-level BMS is that they are some of the most consistent
          batteries available. It's quite likely that your new ones will need a
          BMS. If you don't fit one, definitely keep an eye on them. A
          Paktrakr (sp?) or a homemade equivalent might be a good idea.

          > Will be lowering the float voltage some as they are running high.

          I'm not much for float charging anyway. I think it usually does more
          harm that good. I'd get rid of the float altogether and just do a
          gentle equalization (an amp or so for an hour or two) every 5-6 cycles.
        • Noel P. Luneau
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
            1999 Solectria Force available on eBay.

            12,500 buy it now and $4,100 current bid.

            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME
            %3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=&item=330195010459

            Noel L

          • Curtis Peredina
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
              Interesting, I just sold the guy the car a couple months ago for $8000....not a bad car, but 12k is a bit steep....could use new batteries and a little TLC for sure....

              12,500 buy it now and $4,100 current bid.

              http://cgi.ebay com/ebaymotors/ ws/eBayISAPI. dll?ViewItem& sspagename= ADME

              %3AB%3ASS%3AUS% 3A1123&viewitem= &item=3301950104 59

              Noel L

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{