[force_ev] Re: NiMH battery care and feeding

  • Earl A. Killian
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 22 5:20 PM
      bil@... writes:
      > Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 21:38:31 -0000
      > From: bil@...
      >
      > I'm contemplating a NiCd pack option for a new NEV . Could you
      > single out a few particular considerations with respect to NiCd vs
      > PbA (Trojans) in EVs for me? Like charging, maintenance,
      > monitoring, etc.

      Tom has a very interesting page on this:
      http://www.portev.org/solectria/ho/nicad.htm
    • Tom Hudson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 22 7:56 PM
        > I'm contemplating a NiCd pack option for a new NEV . Could you single
        > out a few particular considerations with respect to NiCd vs PbA
        > (Trojans) in EVs for me?
        > Like charging, maintenance, monitoring, etc.

        David Roden can probably fill in any gaps or correct me on any of the
        following:

        The NiCDs are interesting to me because you have about double the range of a
        comparably-sized lead-acid pack. The NiCDs are way more forgiving than
        lead-acids, you can leave them discharged and they don't have problems like
        lead-acid sulfation. They have incredible cycle life.

        Downsides: They are more expensive to buy, though their longer life more
        than compensates for this. They need watering, unlike my current sealed
        lead-acid pack. The charging profile requires that the charger be tied into
        an amp-hour counter/e-meter so that the proper amount of overcharge can be
        done. Mine are water-cooled, necessitating water pumps and radiators,
        though they also come in an air-cooled version. I had to go with
        water-cooled due to space restrictions -- No room around the batteries for
        proper airflow.

        I've spoken to people who had older, used NiCD packs they bought and after
        they did the commissioning charge, the pack was right up to spec. Amazing.

        -Tom

        Thomas Hudson
        http://portev.org/solectria/ho -- Our Electric Vehicles
        http://portev.org/solectria/ho/pvs.htm -- Solar Power
        http://portev.org/solectria -- Solectria Owners Website
      • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 22 10:12 PM
          Tom summarized the advantages and disadvantages of nicads very well. I
          have only a few items to add.

          Nicads are the advanced batteries that some people can actually afford.
          They are not as sophisticated as NiMH, but those have some distance yet
          to go before they are at a price point that the average hobbyist EV owner
          can really consider them.

          Nicads have much better specific energy than lead (that is, 55+ watt-
          hours per kilogram compared to typical 28-36 wh/kg for lead -- the East
          Penn gel batteries are about 22 wh/kg at 75 amps). So Tom is right that
          a pack of equivalent weight nicads will nearly double your range.

          They also have better energy density (watt-hours per liter) but it is not
          as large a difference.

          Lead batteries lose capacity when called on to deliver high currents.
          Nicads lose appreciably less at high currents.

          Nicads are almost entirely unaffected by cold weather. You lose much
          less range in winter than with lead batteries. (If you have a thermal
          management system this may not matter to you.)

          On the other hand nicads don't much like very high temperatures. They
          shouldn't be charged when their temperature exceeds about 40 deg C (105
          degrees fahrenheit). The chargers usually are programmed to turn on the
          fans or cooling system and wait until the temperature falls to around 30
          deg C, probably at night. If you have nighttime temperatures in the 85-
          degree-plus range, you may not get a charge that night!

          They calculate out to be cheaper per mile of actual use than East Penns,
          Optimas, and Hawkers. They are theoretically cheaper than Trojans but in
          practice are probably about the same (but you don't have to change them
          every few years as you do the Trojans).

          Here is a cost per mile comparison:

          Battery cost DOD Life Range@DOD Total Mi Cost/Mi

          Trojan 27TMH $960 80% 300 40 12,300 $0.078
          East Penn 8g27 $1560 100% 200 40 8,000 $0.20
          East Penn 8G27 $1560 50% 400 20 8,000 $0.20
          East Penn 8G27 $1560 30% 1300 12 15,600 $0.10
          Saft 5-100MR $7680 80% 3000 64 192,000 $0.04

          Cycle life specs are from manufacturers' datasheets. Your mileage may
          vary (literally).

          In practice the Safts should last the life of the vehicle. If we take
          that as 100,000 miles, the real cost is probably about $0.077 per mile.

          David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
          1991 Solectria Force 144vac
          1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
          1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
          1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
          1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
          = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
          Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
          thou knowest." Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.
          = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
        • Don Buckshot
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 24 11:00 AM
            Tom,
            I'll get on your list ASAP. I'm getting info ready now for the EV Album / Mike
            Chancey.

            I bought my car from Stephan Miracle at EVermont, a non-profit in Vermont.

            I'm delighted with the car, however I am not familiar with the NiMH batteries
            and their care. So far, it's just charge and drive!
            This is what the public needs to have available, however at a more affordable
            price when new.

            My wife wants to drive it to commute to work. She really likes the attention! I
            guess I'll have to settle for my TEVan.

            What range did you get with Lead-acid? What do you expect with NiCD?

            Nameste'
            Don