Speed Sensor Symptom

  • Jeremy Smithson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2007
      Hello All,

      My wife Pamela and I have a '97 Force, a nice car. Our driving experience
      has only been marred by occasional incidents of growling motor, or if at a
      standstill, jerking on acceleration, cruising, and regen. I checked the
      speed sensor last year, and all seemed normal, it was very clean and the
      proper distance from the disk. I did put some de-ox on the DB-9 connector
      coming from the controller and it seemed to give us some relief, although
      the symptom returned.

      Recently, though we apparently exacerbated the condition causing this
      symptom by leaving the hood open in the rain. The car is perpetually in
      this state now. I have tried cleaning and de-oxing the connectors and
      checked the speed sensor again, to no avail.

      Does anyone know how it is possible for water to cause this problem, or if
      it does?

      I did try jacking up one wheel and accelerating very slowly quite a few
      times and the motor exhibited no hesitation except once. It would
      accelerate very smoothly all the way up to very high rpm, and the regen
      would smoothly slow the wheel except at the very end when it stopped and
      kicked backward. It did this very consistently.

      I checked the motor connectors and they seem OK.

      Jeremy Smithson

      Puget Sound Solar

      (206) 706-1931

      www.pugetsoundsolar.com

    • Mike Chancey
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2007
        Jeremy, this sounds like a potbox problem to me. I believe there is
        an old thread about cleaning or replacing it here somewhere.

        Thanks,

        Mike Chancey,
        '88 Civic EV
        Kansas City, Missouri
        EV Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
        My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
        Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
        Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

        In medio stat virtus - Virtue is in the moderate, not the extreme
        position. (Horace)
      • solarjeremy
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2007
          If that was the case, why would the motor run smoothly with one wheel
          off the ground? Also, the jerking occurs no matter where the
          accelerator pedal is, both for acceleration and deceleration (regen).

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Mike Chancey <echancey@...>
          wrote:

          > Jeremy, this sounds like a potbox problem to me. I believe there
          is
          > an old thread about cleaning or replacing it here somewhere.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Mike Chancey,
          > '88 Civic EV
          > Kansas City, Missouri
          > EV Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
          > My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
          > Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
          > Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html
          >
          > In medio stat virtus - Virtue is in the moderate, not the extreme
          > position. (Horace)

        • sghiahughes
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30, 2007
            I think you are on the right track with the DB-9 connector.
            Corrosion on the pins makes the speed signal jumping, causing the
            controller output to be jumpy as well. I would replace the
            connector, cutting the wire back to get to clean, uncorroded wire.
            Then use plenty of ny-grease or other compound to seal up the
            connector so water doesn't get in again.

            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Smithson" <jeremy@...>