NiMH battery care and feeding

  • Don Buckshot
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2001
      I took delivery of a '96 Force on July 4th and am very pleased with it.
      This is what the public ought to see more of in oreder appreciate what is
      already available to us.

      Can someone direct me to a resource for the care and feeding of these NiMH
      batteries?
      I know they are very expensive and don't want to screw them up.
      I have read the Email by Dave Roden (June 10th) about battery life on the lead
      acid units and would like to research the NiMH.

      Help? anyone.

      Don Buckshot
      Kansas City,MO
      1993 TEVan
      1996 Solectria Force

      816-556-6356 IBM
      816-531-2206 home,
      816-582-6891 PCS anytime
    • BECKETT,WILL (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2001
        use the following e-mail address for Solectria technical support:

        customerservice@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18, 2001
          Hi Don! Man, another EV in Kansas City! My wife and I used to live there;
          We now live in Wisconsin and own a '97 lead-acid Force that's getting
          upgraded to NiCD. I can't help you on the battery care issue, but I'd like
          to invite you (and any other Force owners who are lurking) to get listed on
          our Solectria Owner's website (see link below). No cost or obligation, I
          just want to get as many of us listed as possible.

          Out of curiosity, how did you get that car?

          -Tom

          Thomas Hudson
          http://portev.org/solectria/ho -- Our Electric Vehicles
          http://portev.org/solectria/ho/pvs.htm -- Solar Power
          http://portev.org/solectria -- Solectria Owners Website

        • bil@bcnexus.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 22, 2001
            --- In force_ev@y..., "Tom Hudson" <tomhudson@e...> wrote:
            <SNIP>
            ...We now live in Wisconsin and own a '97 lead-acid Force that's
            getting upgraded to NiCD...
            </SNIP>
            Tom,

            I'm contemplating a NiCd pack option for a new NEV . Could you single
            out a few particular considerations with respect to NiCd vs PbA
            (Trojans) in EVs for me?
            Like charging, maintenance, monitoring, etc.

            Regards,
            __
            Bil Gladstone, \
            "e-scooter commuter" O=--O
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            world wide web : http://BCnexus.com?email
            email : admin@...
            voice : 250.861.3860
            e-fax : 208.979.0283
            US Toll Free : 877.219.6100 x708
            poste d'escargot: 101-1865 Dilworth Drive
            Suite #503
            Kelowna, British Columbia
            CANADA V1Y 9T1
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Legalize Electric Scooters Now!
            http://www.PetitionOnline.com/zap/petition.html
          • Earl A. Killian
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 22, 2001
              bil@... writes:
              > Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 21:38:31 -0000
              > From: bil@...
              >
              > I'm contemplating a NiCd pack option for a new NEV . Could you
              > single out a few particular considerations with respect to NiCd vs
              > PbA (Trojans) in EVs for me? Like charging, maintenance,
              > monitoring, etc.

              Tom has a very interesting page on this:
              http://www.portev.org/solectria/ho/nicad.htm
            • Tom Hudson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 22, 2001
                > I'm contemplating a NiCd pack option for a new NEV . Could you single
                > out a few particular considerations with respect to NiCd vs PbA
                > (Trojans) in EVs for me?
                > Like charging, maintenance, monitoring, etc.

                David Roden can probably fill in any gaps or correct me on any of the
                following:

                The NiCDs are interesting to me because you have about double the range of a
                comparably-sized lead-acid pack. The NiCDs are way more forgiving than
                lead-acids, you can leave them discharged and they don't have problems like
                lead-acid sulfation. They have incredible cycle life.

                Downsides: They are more expensive to buy, though their longer life more
                than compensates for this. They need watering, unlike my current sealed
                lead-acid pack. The charging profile requires that the charger be tied into
                an amp-hour counter/e-meter so that the proper amount of overcharge can be
                done. Mine are water-cooled, necessitating water pumps and radiators,
                though they also come in an air-cooled version. I had to go with
                water-cooled due to space restrictions -- No room around the batteries for
                proper airflow.

                I've spoken to people who had older, used NiCD packs they bought and after
                they did the commissioning charge, the pack was right up to spec. Amazing.

                -Tom

                Thomas Hudson
                http://portev.org/solectria/ho -- Our Electric Vehicles
                http://portev.org/solectria/ho/pvs.htm -- Solar Power
                http://portev.org/solectria -- Solectria Owners Website
              • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 22, 2001
                  Tom summarized the advantages and disadvantages of nicads very well. I
                  have only a few items to add.

                  Nicads are the advanced batteries that some people can actually afford.
                  They are not as sophisticated as NiMH, but those have some distance yet
                  to go before they are at a price point that the average hobbyist EV owner
                  can really consider them.

                  Nicads have much better specific energy than lead (that is, 55+ watt-
                  hours per kilogram compared to typical 28-36 wh/kg for lead -- the East
                  Penn gel batteries are about 22 wh/kg at 75 amps). So Tom is right that
                  a pack of equivalent weight nicads will nearly double your range.

                  They also have better energy density (watt-hours per liter) but it is not
                  as large a difference.

                  Lead batteries lose capacity when called on to deliver high currents.
                  Nicads lose appreciably less at high currents.

                  Nicads are almost entirely unaffected by cold weather. You lose much
                  less range in winter than with lead batteries. (If you have a thermal
                  management system this may not matter to you.)

                  On the other hand nicads don't much like very high temperatures. They
                  shouldn't be charged when their temperature exceeds about 40 deg C (105
                  degrees fahrenheit). The chargers usually are programmed to turn on the
                  fans or cooling system and wait until the temperature falls to around 30
                  deg C, probably at night. If you have nighttime temperatures in the 85-
                  degree-plus range, you may not get a charge that night!

                  They calculate out to be cheaper per mile of actual use than East Penns,
                  Optimas, and Hawkers. They are theoretically cheaper than Trojans but in
                  practice are probably about the same (but you don't have to change them
                  every few years as you do the Trojans).

                  Here is a cost per mile comparison:

                  Battery cost DOD Life Range@DOD Total Mi Cost/Mi

                  Trojan 27TMH $960 80% 300 40 12,300 $0.078
                  East Penn 8g27 $1560 100% 200 40 8,000 $0.20
                  East Penn 8G27 $1560 50% 400 20 8,000 $0.20
                  East Penn 8G27 $1560 30% 1300 12 15,600 $0.10
                  Saft 5-100MR $7680 80% 3000 64 192,000 $0.04

                  Cycle life specs are from manufacturers' datasheets. Your mileage may
                  vary (literally).

                  In practice the Safts should last the life of the vehicle. If we take
                  that as 100,000 miles, the real cost is probably about $0.077 per mile.

                  David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
                  1991 Solectria Force 144vac
                  1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
                  1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
                  1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
                  1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
                  = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
                  Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
                  thou knowest." Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.
                  = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
                • Don Buckshot
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001
                    Tom,
                    I'll get on your list ASAP. I'm getting info ready now for the EV Album / Mike
                    Chancey.

                    I bought my car from Stephan Miracle at EVermont, a non-profit in Vermont.

                    I'm delighted with the car, however I am not familiar with the NiMH batteries
                    and their care. So far, it's just charge and drive!
                    This is what the public needs to have available, however at a more affordable
                    price when new.

                    My wife wants to drive it to commute to work. She really likes the attention! I
                    guess I'll have to settle for my TEVan.

                    What range did you get with Lead-acid? What do you expect with NiCD?

                    Nameste'
                    Don