RE: [force_ev] EV auto insurance

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2000
      Mine is through State Farm; I'm not sure how they wrote the policy, but they
      were able to allow for the added value. I believe I had them call Solectria
      when I signed up for the policy so that they had all the pertinent
      information.

      -Tom

      Thomas Hudson
      http://asterius.com/solectria/ho -- Our Electric Vehicles
      http://asterius.com/solectria/ho/pvs.htm -- Solar Power
      http://asterius.com/solectria -- Solectria Owners Website

    • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 29, 2000
        My insurance company, Westfield National, covers my (used) Force at what
        they call "declared value." I simply told them how much it's worth, and
        they wrote the policy in that amount.

        Since then I've heard that this method has some loopholes for the
        insurance company, though, so you might want to ask your agent for the
        specifics.

        BTW, since I've just now subscribed to this list, I guess a quick intro
        is in order.

        I own Force #1. According to Solectria, it's the first one they ever
        produced, or at least the first one sold.

        It was originally sold to APS (Arizona Public Service). After APS began
        leasing EVs from the major manufacturers, the Force got less and less
        use. Finally, APS sold it to Phoenix-area private owners in April, 1997.
        Those owners sold it to me in February, 1999. It has just over 20,000
        miles on the odometer.

        This car was originally fitted with Sears Diehard (!) flooded group 27
        marine batteries. APS replaced them three times; each set lasted on the
        average about 9 months. Next they tried Enerdyne EV-27s, which lasted
        less than 6 months. Then came two sets of GNB Evolyte. Each provided
        about a year of service. The last set APS installed (in early 1996) were
        Hawker Genesis.

        The Hawker appear to have been the most successful they used, but by the
        time I received the car in early 1999, they were only marginally
        serviceable. Range had fallen to less than 10 miles.

        For a time I used East Penn group 24 gel batteries (which use a design
        licensed from Sonnenschein). These are smaller than the original group
        27 size. I found they didn't give me enough range to suit my needs
        (barely 30 miles). I'm currently (still) in the process of converting
        this car over to Saft nicads.

        Out of curiosity, has anyone on the list ever seen or driven a Force GT?
        They used nicads and I believe had dual motors and controllers.

        BTW, it's my understanding that all Forces up to 1995 were belt drive.
        From 1995 the integrated motor/gearbox was fitted; however at least one
        batch of '95s was supplied with the old belt drive. These belts look
        pretty flimsy but actually work just fine. I have heard that the belt
        drive's whine can be ameliorated by drilling tiny holes radially into the
        pulleys, but I'm hesitant to try this.

        What kind of oil do other owners use in their pre-'95 gearboxes? I use
        5w-30 Castrol Synthetic motor oil, as recommended in the 1992 service
        manual.

        David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
        1991 Solectria Force 144vac
        1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
        1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
        1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
        1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
        = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
        NOTE: If you receive an email which exhorts you to "Send
        this to everyone you know," you don't know me.
        = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
      • Tom Hudson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 30, 2000

          As I recall, ours was written the same way, as a Geo Metro with a special
          declared value. Our agent says they do this for other custom vehicles, as
          well.

          > This car was originally fitted with Sears Diehard (!) flooded group 27
          > marine batteries. APS replaced them three times; each set lasted on the
          > average about 9 months. Next they tried Enerdyne EV-27s, which lasted
          > less than 6 months. Then came two sets of GNB Evolyte. Each provided
          > about a year of service. The last set APS installed (in early 1996) were
          > Hawker Genesis.

          From my discussions with the Nevada EV'ers who helped me pick up the E-10 in
          Boulder City, batteries in the hot Southwest rarely live longer than a year.
          The high temperatures must really hit them hard. We've been running our
          current set in the Force for over 2.5 years, so I'm hoping the cooler
          Wisconsin temperatures will keep ours running a long time.

          > The Hawker appear to have been the most successful they used, but by the
          > time I received the car in early 1999, they were only marginally
          > serviceable. Range had fallen to less than 10 miles.
          >
          > For a time I used East Penn group 24 gel batteries (which use a design
          > licensed from Sonnenschein). These are smaller than the original group
          > 27 size. I found they didn't give me enough range to suit my needs
          > (barely 30 miles). I'm currently (still) in the process of converting
          > this car over to Saft nicads.

          David, I'm curious -- why did you go with Group 24's instead of 27's?
          Wouldn't the 27's give longer range? The new group 24's which arrived for
          the E-10 are Deka Dominators (also Sonnenschein licensees); we'll see how
          they do.

          > Out of curiosity, has anyone on the list ever seen or driven a Force GT?
          > They used nicads and I believe had dual motors and controllers.

          Based on the power that our E-10 has with the dual motors/controllers setup,
          I'd LOVE to see a similar Force! Given the smaller vehicle size and lower
          weight limit, you'd have to go with nicads or NiMH to get good range with
          the dual motors. Speaking of which, could those batteries deal with the
          doubled current draw of two motors?

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 30, 2000
            On 30 Jul 2000, at 12:36, Tom Hudson wrote:

            > > This car was originally fitted with Sears Diehard (!) flooded group 27
            > > marine batteries [which gave limited service life] ...
            >
            > >From my discussions with the Nevada EV'ers who helped me pick up the E-10
            > >in
            > Boulder City, batteries in the hot Southwest rarely live longer than a
            > year.

            Good point. I'm sure that's part of the reason. Higher temperatures
            give lead batteries more capacity, but shorter life. In general, though,
            flooded marine batteries don't last long in EV service, whether it's
            southwest or northeast. They are designed for currents in the 25-50 amp
            range, not 50-250 -- let alone the 500 amp currents the DC crowd tries to
            get from them.

            The Sonnenschein gel cells are some of the longest-lived available. East
            Penn manufactures Deka Dominators, and yes, they are a Sonnenschein
            licensee.

            Note that finishing current is critical with these batteries because
            their ability to recombine hydrogen and oxygen into water is limited.
            However, Solectria's charger profile takes care of that for you. The
            Brusa NLG series is one of the smartest and most flexible chargers
            around.

            > > For a time I used East Penn group 24 gel batteries ...
            >
            > David, I'm curious -- why did you go with Group 24's instead of 27's?

            I had 3 dozen of them on hand already. It was a lot that I purchased
            from an EV racing team that was changing brands. They had perhaps a
            dozen cycles on them.

            There was another reason I couldn't have used group 27s (not readily).
            When I got the car, it still had the battery boxes that APS had built for
            the Hawker Genesis pack. One the annoying things about Hawkers is that
            they don't comply with BCI group sizing. If a battery box is designed
            for Hawkers, nothing else of comparable capacity will fit.

            I was able to put 3 group 24 batteries in the front box -- on their
            sides! -- and removed the rear box so I could put 9 behind the back seat,
            just sitting on the floorpan. Not very safe, and not recommended, but I
            only drove it that way for 8 months or so.

            > Based on the power that our E-10 has with the dual motors/controllers
            > setup, I'd LOVE to see a similar Force! Given the smaller vehicle size
            > and lower weight limit, you'd have to go with nicads or NiMH to get good
            > range with the dual motors. Speaking of which, could those batteries deal
            > with the doubled current draw of two motors?

            Actually, if you could keep your right foot from twitching <g>, the range
            wouldn't be much different from the single motor car. But not many
            people could be that gentle, so yes, there'd be a loss of range.

            I don't know about the NiMH, but the Safts will deliver their amp-hour
            rating continously, and 5 times their amp hour rating intermittently (15
            seconds). So an STM5-100 will do fine at 100 amps continuously, 500 amps
            intermittently.

            If I'm not mistaken (someone please correct me if I am), the Force GT
            used two AC-300 controllers. Each was rated 220 amps, but I have an AC-
            300, and I've never seen more than 190 battery amps. Either way, two of
            them would be well within the rating for the Safts. They'd be a bit much
            for a single string of Sonnenscheins, though.

            FWIW, a 1994 Nicad Force GT was priced at a cool $59,350. Not many
            private owners would be able to pony up that kind of cash, but I wonder
            how many institutions out there did. By now they may have moved on to
            the "more sophisticated" production EVs, such as RAV-4s and Rangers.
            Unless they were drastically abused, the Force's nicads might still be
            good. Wouldn't it be cool to bid a pittance on a Force, win the bid, and
            have it turn out to be a GT?

            Otherwise, you could roll your own. I don't think it would be that tough
            to adapt a second motor to a belt-drive Force -- just have a larger motor
            mounting plate machined, and get a longer belt. You'd need a second
            controller and some help from Solectria to get the controllers working
            together. Hmm, I wonder if there are any more of those auction E-10s to
            be had ...

            Or you could just buy one of their 70 kw bus drives and get the same (or
            better) effect. You'd need a bunch more voltage, though, probably
            something in the 288-300 volt range.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 30, 2000
              > The Sonnenschein gel cells are some of the longest-lived available. East
              > Penn manufactures Deka Dominators, and yes, they are a Sonnenschein
              > licensee.

              Doh! After I sent that message, I was outside mowing the lawn (with my
              battery-powered lawn mower, naturally) and suddenly realized that East Penn
              MAKES Deka Dominators. Open mouth, insert foot, Tom...

              > Note that finishing current is critical with these batteries because
              > their ability to recombine hydrogen and oxygen into water is limited.
              > However, Solectria's charger profile takes care of that for you. The
              > Brusa NLG series is one of the smartest and most flexible chargers
              > around.

              Yup. When I opened up the battery boxes on the E-10, and started taking
              voltage readings while it was charging up, one of the batteries had a
              25-volt reading(!) -- The one next to it was one that had a low voltage when
              it was off the charger, and I assume the other one was taking the load for
              it when under charge. Needless to say, the one that had been getting the
              25-volt charge was also toast (the case was deformed at the positive
              terminal, which I noted was getting hot). The Solectria/Brusa charger must
              keep the total voltage under 14.1 X the number of batteries...

              > > > For a time I used East Penn group 24 gel batteries ...

              You mentioned that you were only getting 30 miles or so from the East Penns
              (were they Dekas?) -- What kind of total amp-hours were you getting out of
              them before they started to fade?

              > There was another reason I couldn't have used group 27s (not readily).
              > When I got the car, it still had the battery boxes that APS had built for
              > the Hawker Genesis pack. One the annoying things about Hawkers is that
              > they don't comply with BCI group sizing. If a battery box is designed
              > for Hawkers, nothing else of comparable capacity will fit.
              >
              > I was able to put 3 group 24 batteries in the front box -- on their
              > sides! -- and removed the rear box so I could put 9 behind the back seat,
              > just sitting on the floorpan. Not very safe, and not recommended, but I
              > only drove it that way for 8 months or so.

              Aha. You know, my truck originally had 36 Hawkers in it, which were
              replaced by 24 Sonnenscheins. Actually, when I pulled them out, they were
              Midstate Battery Performax gel (undoubtedly, another Sonnenschein licensee,
              since their cases are EXACTLY like the Dekas, down to identical stickers
              showing charging info).

              > FWIW, a 1994 Nicad Force GT was priced at a cool $59,350. Not many
              > private owners would be able to pony up that kind of cash, but I wonder
              > how many institutions out there did. By now they may have moved on to
              > the "more sophisticated" production EVs, such as RAV-4s and Rangers.
              > Unless they were drastically abused, the Force's nicads might still be
              > good. Wouldn't it be cool to bid a pittance on a Force, win the bid, and
              > have it turn out to be a GT?

              You've got that right. I still consider myself lucky to have gotten the
              E-10 for the price I did, considering what it was worth when new. I'd jump
              at the chance to get a Force GT at auction. I guess I'd better keep my eyes
              open!

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 30, 2000
                On 30 Jul 2000, at 20:02, Tom Hudson wrote:

                > The Solectria/Brusa
                > charger must keep the total voltage under 14.1 X the number of
                > batteries...

                It's probably a bit more complex than that, but that's the general idea.
                I'd guess that it holds current steady at ~20 amps until voltage reaches
                14.1 volts or so per module. Then it probably holds the voltage steady
                until current falls below some small value, such as 1 to 2 amps. Then it
                probably holds current at that point for a few hours with some voltage
                limit in the 14.1 - 14.5 volt per module range, if any. That's a typical
                lead gel charging profile.

                You mention 14.1 x number of batteries, and the fact that your voltage
                was wildly variable. Probably the battery with the 25 volts across it
                while on charge had an open cell or very high internal resistance. I've
                seen pushed-up posts and bulged sides before -- it's caused by severe
                grid corrosion. That comes from overcharging, or sometimes just age.

                Once the battery's mechanical seal is compromised, the H2/O2
                recombination reaction doesn't work right, and moisture is lost through
                the broken seals. The battery dries out and then it's ruined.

                BTW, some people swear by "regulators" -- the Battpro and Rudman gadgets
                that bypass batteries when they get to some voltage. These waste energy,
                but are supposed to keep the pack balanced. If you do an equalization
                cycle regularly, I'm not sure they're really necessary, unless you have
                significant temperature variations across different modules.
                Sonnenschein doesn't recommend them (but they don't recommend against
                them either). But, as I say, some folks won't charge without them, and
                I'd certainly like to hear from anyone who's used them with Sonnenscheins
                or Dekas.

                Do you know about the Sonnenschein tech manual on the web? It's at

                http://www.mhpower.com.au/techinfo1.htm

                There's some great information here on use, charging, and maintenance.

                > You mentioned that you were only getting 30 miles or so from the East
                > Penns (were they Dekas?) -- What kind of total amp-hours were you getting
                > out of them before they started to fade?

                Around 33 - 38 ah. They got better after a few weeks. Actually I'm not
                sure how much of the improvement over time was caused by the pack getting
                its kinks out and how much by warming temperatures.

                These numbers aren't too surprising, since the G24s are rated for a
                reserve capacity of 33 minutes at 75 amps -- just a bit over 41 ah.

                > Actually, when I pulled them out, they were
                > Midstate Battery Performax gel (undoubtedly, another Sonnenschein
                > licensee, since their cases are EXACTLY like the Dekas, down to identical
                > stickers showing charging info).

                These batteries seem to be sold under several different brand names. If
                there's any internal difference, I don't know about it.

                David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
                1991 Solectria Force 144vac
                1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
                1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
                1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
                1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
                = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
                NOTE: If you receive an email which exhorts you to "Send
                this to everyone you know," you don't know me.
                = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
              • Craig Childers
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 31, 2000
                  My Solectria manuals are very specific about using Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil
                  (I think it's 5W30). I'm betting Castrol and Mobil 1 are not exactly the
                  same. I'm not sure Castrol is even a full-synth.

                  I'm told my Forces were built in the first batch, so they may be your
                  Force's cousins!
                  (The big build before year end (not sure what year) is discussed somewhere
                  in the book on Solectria)
                  How can you tell if it's number 1? Mine just make use of the old Geo VIN.

                  How are you distributing your NiCds? (front VS rear)
                  (I'm putting the actual SAFT box of 20 in the rear, and 4 more in the front.)
                  Did you buy 2 120 volt SAFT packs like I did?
                  Do you want to sell any of your spare modules?
                  I am amazed that these things are still showing 6 volts after being in
                  storage for so long (and running the DC-DC converter that's built into the
                  SAFT pack. I didn't know these were in there.)

                  Did you discover the wonderful surprise under the end-cover? (Kilovac
                  contactors!)

                  I think a Force GT has dual motors, but not necessarily NiCd batteries.

                  Craig