Another 412b charger problem

  • Joshua Goldstein
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hi, we just got our '99 Force (the one from New Hampshire that was on
      ebay) and perhaps set a new record for elapsed time between joining
      the Solectria owners club and joining the dead-charger club -- under
      10 days. I'm wondering if any of you have run into a similar
      problem. This is a Brusa NLG412b. The batteries were all just
      replaced (by the seller in NH) with same-as-the-original 8G27's and
      as far as I can tell they're working fine.
      Symptoms: After a couple of hot days, the charging cycle
      terminated early, then next time when plugged in the charger cycled
      on and off regularly about once a second -- this includes
      everything: the fan, the light, and the charge to the battery. I
      unplugged it after about 15 seconds of that. The next time I tried
      to charge it, the charger was completely dead (no light when plugged
      in, no fan, no charge).
      Diagnosis: With the very helpful info posted online, I was able
      to take apart the charger and check the two main fuses, which were
      intact, and check for signs of smoke, discoloration, melting, etc.,
      of which I found none. However, on second disassembly I noticed
      there is also a fuse on the big circuit board (the one that likes to
      bump into the flange when you open the thing), and that fuse is
      blown. It's a T1H 250V, ceramic, 1 amp. On a Sunday and living in
      the country, I was able to get only a similar fuse but 1/2 amp
      instead of 1. This blew as soon as I put it in and applied external
      250V power, with the batteries disconnected. [I'm working on the
      charger with the batteries disconnected because it should still light
      up a light when powered (tried this on another Force).] I have a
      strong suspicion a 1 amp fuse would do the same, though I'll check
      when I find one.
      The discussion of these chargers I can find online mostly
      concerns more dramatic failures and blowing of the main fuses. This
      seems more like a problem on the circuit board (??). I'm reaching
      the edge of my limited electrical expertise. Any ideas?
      Joshua Goldstein
      Amherst, MA
      '99 Force
    • Ken Olum
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 14, 2007
        Any news from Solectria? We're here this week but gone again next week.

        Ken
      • Ken Olum
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 14, 2007
          Sorry about the misdirected message.

          Ken

          P.S. This is an example of why the reply-to line going to the list is
          a bad idea. See http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html.
        • Arthur Marquardt

            --0-44186243-1235360116=:44645

            Has anyone seen this charger on E-bay before and have an opinion of it seem=
            s like limited info.=0A=A0=0Ahttp://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZ144vQ20Ch=
            argerQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR9QQ_mdoZ?_trksid=3Dm19=0A=0AArt
            --0-44186243-1235360116=:44645

            <DIV><FONT size=4></FONT> </DIV>
            <DIV><A href="http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZ144vQ20ChargerQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR9QQ_mdoZ?_trksid=m19" target=_blank><SPAN class=yshortcuts id=lw_1235459102_2><FONT size=4>http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZ144vQ20ChargerQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR9QQ_mdoZ?_trksid=m19</FONT></SPAN></A></DIV>
            <DIV> </DIV>
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 22, 2009
              Have any of you seen this Charger on Ebay before and do you have an opinion of it or know where one can find more info.
              Sorry for previous post it just came out garbled.

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250377964963&viewitem=

              Art

            • ehsif727
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 24, 2009
                Art, I searched for information on that charger it is available in 156
                volt and 144 volt models. It cost about $500. I am not sure about
                temperature compensation, it seem to indicate it has it for float mode
                temperature compensation. There was more information on a PDF down
                load at the site which I will list.

                http://www.quickcharge.com/Select-a-charge%20ON%20BOARD.htm

                Eric Fisher
                www.SiliconeBatteriesUSA.com

                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Arthur Marquardt
                <a-marquardt@...> wrote:

                > Have any of you seen this Charger on Ebay before and do you have an
                opinion of it or know where one can find more info.
                > Sorry for previous post it just came out garbled.

                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250377964963&viewitem=

                > Art

              • rod864
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 25, 2009
                  The Quick Charge units are cheap, but they're an order of magnitude
                  cruder than the Brusa / Solectria chargers. They don't have anything
                  like the same smarts. They're heavy, too. (I'm tempted to make a
                  really politically incorrect comment here, so I'd better take my hands
                  off the keyboard for a minute or two. ;-)

                  QC chargers are one answer for the owner on a budget, but IMO it would
                  be a shame to replace the elegantly designed Brusa charger with such a
                  boat anchor.
                • jerry
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 15, 2010
                    Does anyone have a Brusa NLG412 that they would sell? If so PLEASE contact me directly, lieblerj(at)windstream.net. I've found a 97 force for sale, reasonably close to me, but it's missing the charger & has dead SLA batteries. I want to convert to LIFEPO4 so the batteries are a non issue but I'd sure like the original charger (which I'd reprogram).
                    Thanks
                    Jerry