Re: [solectria_ev] Re: Speed Sensor Question

  • Doug Jackson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
      I believe there is a differential. Judging from what I saw in the
      old gearbox, the lower end where the half axles are inserted appears
      to be stock or near stock Geo differential. Solectria appears to
      have taken that and fed it through a couple of intermediate gears to
      the motor.

      I am not any like an expert in these things and I could be wrong.
      But this is what I saw and MY interpretation.

      Doug Jackson
      adjackson3.org

    • Pohorsky@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
        Hi Sioux,

        I also live in Santa Clara.
        The owner of the truck is Mike Gaylord and he has it advertised on EV Finder:
        http://www.evfinder.com/classifieds.htm
        (First ad on the top of the page unless another one gets posted).

        I test drove this truck a couple of weeks ago and it ran fine.
        I'm sure that he would be happy to give you a test drive also.
        We met at the South San Francisco Costco and drove it around there including a short drive on the freeway.
        It didn't have the range and acceleration needed for my 45 mile round trip commute on the freeway. It would be great for someone with a shorter commute. You would probably need to make at least one charging stop getting it home from San Francisco.

        Adios,

        Jerry

        From: "sioux ammerman" <siouxtrees@...>

      • Pohorsky@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
          Hi Doug and Bill,

          Thanks for your replies.
          I have not seen the sensor and encoder disk on the Force in the forklift repair shop, however I spoke with the shop owner again today. Based on the photos you posted, it looks like the same encoder and PC board is used on both the Force and the E-10.

          Mike Gaylord (who has the E-10 for sale on the www.evfinder.comm classified page) opened the cover of his spare motor and took photos for me of the encoder and PC board. I have posted those photos in another album in the photo section if you want to have a look.

          Hopefully Mike will let me borrow the circuit board from his spare E-10 motor long enough to prove that it fixes the problem in the Force. The shop owner would like to try this. Maybe the board that overheats can be repaired by changing a chip on the board - I have some electronics background and would be willing to try that. I could also try reverse engineering the board to come up with a schematic. Sounds like the boards are not available any more so it might be worth having a schematic drawn up.

          Since is a Brusa board, I'll see if it is available from them.

          For anyone curious, the drive system of the E-10 is very different from the Force. There are two motors with slightly different shaft lengths. Each motor has a pulley on the end. One motor is mounted on the left side of a metal box at the rear of the truck while the other is mounted on the right side. In the center of the box is a shaft that is connected to a differential that has the drive shaft aimed toward the rear of the truck. The end of this shaft has a double pulley with a separate rubber belt going to each motor. All three pulleys and the belts are inside of the metal box to protect them from the elements. Each motor has a separate controller. Not sure if there is just one throttle potbox that is shared by both controllers or if they have separate pot boxes connected the accelerator pedal.

          Adios,

          Jerry Pohorsky
          Pohorsky@...

          From: Doug Jackson <doug@...>
          > I believe there is a differential. Judging from what I saw in the
          > old gearbox, the lower end where the half axles are inserted appears
          > to be stock or near stock Geo differential. Solectria appears to
          > have taken that and fed it through a couple of intermediate gears to
          > the motor.
          >
          > I am not any like an expert in these things and I could be wrong.
          > But this is what I saw and MY interpretation.
          >
          > Doug Jackson
          > adjackson3.org
          >

          > On Jun 6, 2007, at 6:41 PM, Bill Swann wrote:
          >
          > > Great photos. I have wondered about the internal makeup of the
          > > gearbox. I need to go out and check the oil in my gearbox. The speed
          > > sensor is an encoder with 48 lines. Encoders make 2 square waves.
          > > These 2 signals can be used to tell the speed and direction of a
          > > motor. Mininum 4 wires out. If one needs a speed sensor, I bet one
          > > could get one from USDigital.com. I wish I had a motor / speed
          > > control with which to experiment. I am puzzled by the lack of a
          > > differential. It had not occured to me that maybe you do not need one
          > > on the front where there is the steering linkage.
          > > Bill s
          > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Doug Jackson <doug@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have had some experience with the speed sensor.
          > > >
          > > > When I bought my 1999 Force, it had all kinds of gearbox
          > > problems.
          > > > Eventually, I had to replace it with a new one. In the process, I
          > > > had to pull the motor which is attached to the gearbox and forms a
          > > > single unit. During the process, I pulled the plate at the
          > > opposite
          > > > end of the motor. There was the 'speed disk' and the sensor. In
          > > > this case, the speed disk was in pretty bad shape. Kevin at Azure
          > > > sent me a new one. To me the trick to working with this is to be
          > > > very careful of the sensor which appears to be a simple circuit
          > > board
          > > > with some kind of LED on it. It needs to be mounted just right.
          > > > Mike Brown at ElectroAutomotive helped me put things back together
          > > > and in the process he made me a feeler gauge so that I could
          > > adjust
          > > > the gap between the board and the disk. This appears to be very
          > > > important. Note that the gap is very large. 0.125-0.130 inches.
          > > My
          > > > belief is that if this is adjusted to close, you stand a chance of
          > > > contact between the disk and the sensor which will damage either
          > > or
          > > > both. There may be no more of the sensor boards in existence and
          > > > maybe only one or two of the disks.
          > > >
          > > > Other than that, be sure to seal the edges when you replace the
          > > > plate. I suspect moisture is not a good thing.
          > > >
          > > > The 1998 Solectria Force describes this in detail on page 27.
          > > >
          > > > I have posted some of my photos "1999 Force motor photos".
          > > >
          > > > Doug Jackson
          > > > adjackson3.org

        • Randy Saxton
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
            Doug,

            Thank you for the photos. I'm learning more and more about my (and
            other model) Solectria vehicles without taking one apart!

            Randy

          • Noel P. Luneau
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
              There is a 1999 Solectria Force on eBay:

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME
              %3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=230140523723

              Noel L

              1997 Force

              ________________________________

              <mailto:solectria_ev%40yahoogroups.com> , Pohorsky@... wrote:

              >>>Hello,
              >>>
              >>>Does anyone know if the speed sensor in the motor is the same on
              >>>

              >>the E-10 as the one on the Force?
              >>

              >>>I have plans to buy a 1998 Force that is currently being repaired
              >>>

              >>by a forklift repair shop.
              >>

              >>>The shop owner has asked me for some help.
              >>>They have noticed that after about 5 minutes, the cars starts to
              >>>

              >>buck - an indication that there is a speed sensor problem. They
              >>blew compressed air on the sensor to cool it off and it started
              >>working normally again. After about 5 minutes of operation it
              >>starts to malfunction again - something appears to be overheating in
              >>the sensor.
              >>

              >>>I know someone selling a E-10 truck in San Francisco for $15K. He
              >>>

              >>has an extra motor for it (which I believe includes the speed sensor
              >>assembly). If this is the same as the one used in the Force I would
              >>like to arrange to get the speed sensor out of his spare motor to
              >>test it in this Force (which is in a shop in Oakland - not far away
              >>from SF).
              >>

              >>>Any suggestions regarding this approach?
              >>>
              >>>Thanks,
              >>>
              >>>Jerry Pohorsky
              >>>Pohorsky@...

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              DISCLAIMER

              This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. Any distribution or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us by return e-mail at webmaster@..., delete this e-mail and destroy any copies.

              PsiNapse Technology Ltd may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mails and other telecommunications on its network. By replying to this e-mail you give consent to such monitoring. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. PsiNapse accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

            • Curtis Peredina
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
                As another owner of a Force for about a year now, how
                much is one of these (late 90's force, good condition)
                REALLY worth? I paid $2500 for my 97 with a kerosene
                heater, 56k miles, about 1/2 battery life. Original
                paint, etc. Runs great.

                With this auction, it seems these are worth more than
                I thought.

                Thanks.

                http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
              • Noel P. Luneau
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
                  Curtis,

                  You got an amazing deal... typically on eBay they have been selling
                  between 10K and 13K.

                  Some of us purchased 1997 cars from NJ for 4K to 7K, but they were not
                  in as good shape as this one "appears" to be in.

                  With a 1999, 7500 miles, new batteries, seeming good condition, and 8
                  days to-go, I would not be surprised if this Solectria fetches well over
                  13K. Especially with gas prices so high and seeming to go higher.

                  Noel L

                  1997 Force

                  ________________________________

                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail <http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail>

                  DISCLAIMER

                  This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. Any distribution or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us by return e-mail at webmaster@..., delete this e-mail and destroy any copies.

                  PsiNapse Technology Ltd may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mails and other telecommunications on its network. By replying to this e-mail you give consent to such monitoring. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. PsiNapse accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

                • Noel Adams
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 9, 2007
                    A Force in good working order will sell in the price range of $9K - $12K.

                    Noel
                    evfinder.com

                    >From: Curtis Peredina <cjperedina@...>
                    >To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [solectria_ev] 1999 Solectria Force on eBay
                    >Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 19:42:38 -0700 (PDT)
                    >
                    >As another owner of a Force for about a year now, how
                    >much is one of these (late 90's force, good condition)
                    >REALLY worth? I paid $2500 for my 97 with a kerosene
                    >heater, 56k miles, about 1/2 battery life. Original
                    >paint, etc. Runs great.
                    >
                    >With this auction, it seems these are worth more than
                    >I thought.
                    >
                    >Thanks.

                    >No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go
                    >with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile. Get started.
                    >http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

                    Play games, earn tickets, get cool prizes. Play now�it's FREE!
                    http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink1
                  • mike young
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 10, 2007
                      that was before prices hit 3 and climbing for petrol and now my opinion is
                      that a solectria force in this cond will sell in the 15k range. mike young
                      >A Force in good working order will sell in the price range of $9K - $12K.
                      >
                      > Noel
                      > evfinder.com
                      >

                      >>From: Curtis Peredina <cjperedina@...>
                      >>To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com
                      >>Subject: Re: [solectria_ev] 1999 Solectria Force on eBay
                      >>Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 19:42:38 -0700 (PDT)
                      >>
                      >>As another owner of a Force for about a year now, how
                      >>much is one of these (late 90's force, good condition)
                      >>REALLY worth? I paid $2500 for my 97 with a kerosene
                      >>heater, 56k miles, about 1/2 battery life. Original
                      >>paint, etc. Runs great.
                      >>
                      >>With this auction, it seems these are worth more than
                      >>I thought.
                      >>
                      >>Thanks.

                      >>No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go
                      >>with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile. Get started.
                      >>http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

                    • Noel P. Luneau
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 10, 2007
                        I agree with you Mike, bidding is almost $10,000, with seven days to go,
                        and at least seven bidders.

                        Noel L