Air Conditioner Cooking Front Batteries?

  • Dave C.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2007
      Now that we are seeing in excess of 100 deg. F daily here is Las Vegas,
      I note that the air conditioner heat exchanger is blowing extremely hot
      air onto the battery box in the front of my Force. This means the
      batteries in the front are much hotter than the ones in the rear, and
      the two batteries closest to the heat exchanger must be cooking. I
      have thought of putting an aluminum baffle between the heat source and
      the battery box, with a small air gap between the two, or perhaps an
      insulating foam sheet. Has anyone faces this issue?

      Dave C.
      Las Vegas, NV
    • Brett Kelien
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2007
        sounds like you have a good idea but I would have it
        as a air gap rather than more insulation ,my logic is
        ,is the open space should dissipate the heat
        better.Brett

        --- "Dave C." <david@...> wrote:

        > Now that we are seeing in excess of 100 deg. F daily
        > here is Las Vegas,
        > I note that the air conditioner heat exchanger is
        > blowing extremely hot
        > air onto the battery box in the front of my Force.
        > This means the
        > batteries in the front are much hotter than the ones
        > in the rear, and
        > the two batteries closest to the heat exchanger must
        > be cooking. I
        > have thought of putting an aluminum baffle between
        > the heat source and
        > the battery box, with a small air gap between the
        > two, or perhaps an
        > insulating foam sheet. Has anyone faces this issue?
        >

        > Dave C.
        > Las Vegas, NV

        http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
      • Dorothy Swann
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2007
          I think that there is already insulation in the front battery box. I am wondering if Solectria purposefully omitted a thermistor in the front battery box. There is no fan there either. There is one in the rear battery box. Is the front battery box hot to the touch? What if you were to put a 12 volt fan in the back of the front box? The question is what would turn it on? I have recently changed my charger to a Zivan NG3. I think the fan in thr rear battery box is controlled by the thremistor through the Brusa charger. So, I need to re-work that. Does anyone know how the rear battery box fan was controlled?
          Thanks, Bill s

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2007
            Bill,
            On the 97.
            The fan in the rear of the later model battery boxes is controlled by
            a snap switch in the rear battery thermal mangagement box (when it
            comes from the factory.) It will turn on and off on its own as long as
            there is a 12 volt source. The charger is not a player. If your fan
            worked before it should still work unless you disconnected it while
            unhooking charger connections.

            The thermal management box also controls the battery heaters and uses
            220ac. Front and rear boxes are the same except the front doesn't have
            a snap switch for the fan.

            The 12 volt source wiring is located in the same location as the
            charger. You can check for voltage by opening the connector. A small 2
            pin black and red if I remember correctly. The source for the power
            is a T-tap on a "always hot" accesories wire near the geo fuse box
            under the dash. If you can't find it send me a email and I'll send you
            a picture of the connector and the thermal management box.

            It has to get pretty warm for the fan to come on and once it does it
            has to get even cooler to turn it off. In my part of CA if I keep the
            car in the warm garage it runs for days at a time. Blowing hot air
            doesn't do much to cool anything down.

            My guess is that Solectria didn't put a fan in the front box because
            they didn't leave any room in there for any air to be circulated. IMO
            with the minimal exit holes that they put in the rear one it is
            probably close to useless also (restricted fans don't move much air.)
            Good thing Pba batteries like to be warm.

            Just make sure your NG3 thermal probe is inside of the battery
            compartment so it adjusts the charge voltage.

            Mike Rydjord
            97

            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Dorothy Swann <dbswann4@...> wrote:

            > I think that there is already insulation in the front battery box. I
            am wondering if Solectria purposefully omitted a thermistor in the
            front battery box. There is no fan there either. There is one in the
            rear battery box. Is the front battery box hot to the touch? What if
            you were to put a 12 volt fan in the back of the front box? The
            question is what would turn it on? I have recently changed my charger
            to a Zivan NG3. I think the fan in thr rear battery box is controlled
            by the thremistor through the Brusa charger. So, I need to re-work
            that. Does anyone know how the rear battery box fan was controlled?
            > Thanks, Bill s

            vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.